10 Year UK Visa question

A friend's Thai wife has a 10 year UK standard visitor visa. 

She has not been to the UK for almost 2 years and the husband thinks that the visa becomes invalid if she has been out of the UK for more than 2 years.

That does not sound right to me - surely if you have 10 year validity, you have 10 years irrespective of how many visits you make.

Could someone please advise.

Edited by hotandsticky

11 minutes ago, howerde said:

Seems like he is thinking of ILR which is lost after being out the UK 2 years, the 2,5 or 10 years visit visa is valid for the period you have been granted

No, UK Visitor visas can be issued for longer period like 5-10 years.  I'm not sure about the answer to the OP's question, although I doubt there's any restriction on time spent out of the UK, just no more than 6 months within a 12-month period in the UK.  The experts should be able to advise soon.

• Like 1

As others have said, the 2-year thing is for non-British residents of the UK (those with Indefinite Leave to Remain.  It doesn't matter how often you use the 10-year visa (but only for 6 month maximum visit, etc), or if you use it only once in 10 years. It is valid until the expiry date.

• Like 1