Internet Upload Speeds Question

stament

I am going to switch internet provider to 3BB 1gbps (download).  They give a choice of 1gbps/300mbps or 1gbps/500mbps the difference being the upload speeds.  The difference in the monthly rental is only 100b.  I don't mind going for the higher service but will I really need it? 

My thinking is 300mps will be enough for an upload speed.  We are a family of five.  However with kids being schooled online we do use video calling quite a bit as do I when I am working from home.  My limited knowledge leads me to believe that I will never hit anything close to 300mbps upload speeds (but I could be wrong)

Wanted to check the experts advice on here before committing.

I use my phone tethered for internet at 10 mbps up/down...you will never approach your speed limits for normal activities with those speeds. I can do video calling, Netflix, YouTube, Streaming music, etc etc. Save the 100 baht

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, stament said:

My limited knowledge leads me to believe that I will never hit anything close to 300mbps upload speeds

Correct!

But then in Thailand nothing is guaranteed. When the provider tells you you have speed x doesn't mean you get that speed all the time and also internationally. I guess 100B extra is no issue for you. Better spend it to be sure you get "as fast as available".

• Like 1

I guess you have Internet already. So please check which server will give you an upload speed of 300 or 500. If you get 50 that will be very nice already. The same is true for the download speed. In respect of everyone does video calling. Install something where you can see the up- / download data to see how much you really need. You might be surprised how little this is.

But anyhow - normally 3BB is always happy to upgrade you to a more expensive connection. So it should not be a problem to change to a higher speed afterwards. On the other hand 100 Baht is not much. If it gives you a better feeling...

• Thanks 2

Of course you don’t need that that upload speed, but it might come in handy.

I work online and the fines for a poor connection are quite high, so I take the “best” package I can get, It can be quite frustrating when either party is suffering from a bad connection. I never have any issues with 3BB, speeds. 

Your kids might experience a bad connection in class and your have the reassurance that it’s not your connection, you can question the school. It’s better for the kids to just focus on learning and not worry about the internet cutting out. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I guess you have Internet already. So please check which server will give you an upload speed of 300 or 500. If you get 50 that will be very nice already. The same is true for the download speed. In respect of everyone does video calling. Install something where you can see the up- / download data to see how much you really need. You might be surprised how little this is.

But anyhow - normally 3BB is always happy to upgrade you to a more expensive connection. So it should not be a problem to change to a higher speed afterwards. On the other hand 100 Baht is not much. If it gives you a better feeling...

I decided to splurge............

got the 750 deal with free tv box (2 year contract) for 1gbps / 500mbps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stament said:

I decided to splurge............

got the 750 deal with free tv box (2 year contract) for 1gbps / 500mbps.

That is not a bad deal. I pay 631 for my slow VDSL. But fiber is not so easy to install in condos. Good that the VDSL is still fast enough for me. But expensive for what I get. I should pay much less than 631.

On 7/15/2021 at 8:12 AM, Mickeymaus said:

True 300/300.  Its very fast for my needs.  Id upgrade but thats the fastest I can get in these parts of Issan.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 2:09 AM, stament said:

My thinking is 300mps will be enough for an upload speed.  We are a family of five.  However with kids being schooled online we do use video calling quite a bit as do I when I am working from home.  My limited knowledge leads me to believe that I will never hit anything close to 300mbps upload speeds (but I could be wrong)

You would most probably be happy with the slow 300 Mbps, I'm Okay with 100 Mbps and one teen kid sometime in online school, most of other times with a friend playing game or watching Youtube or TikTok on two phones via the house's wifi, which also GF uses (a lot of), and what's left is enough for me, but I don't play games and limit my videos to mainly news sites...????

Your Internet speed would normally be the offered speed up to the proxy, but depending of where out in the big World the other end of the connection is, your actual speed all the way might be (sometimes much) slower. Having a faster connection, i.e. higher number of Mbps, your allotment of international service to the real World might be increased also, giving you better speed from somewhere far out...????

• Thanks 1