US citizens unable to get vaccinated

DrPhibes

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

Greetings from Guam, where America's day begins. 

I got so fed up with inaction on the part of the governments of Thailand, Chiang Mai and the U.S. Embassy in Thailand that I put together a trip for myself to Guam.  It's a wonderful place and the Moderna, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are available for free at a local mall.  There is no need to quarantine if you arrive with a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of your international departure.

I received approval for a COE from the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles within a couple days of applying.  Stupidly, I still have to do 14 days quarantine in Bangkok.  Phuket isn't an option because there aren't any direct flights to Phuket from this part of the world.

Like the OP, I had written to my representatives in Congress and the Senate.  Only one replied and she just didn't understand the problem either.  She gave me the link to the U.S. Embassy Bangkok's website about how they don't supply medical care to Americans in Thailand.  Just didn't get it, did she?

When I went to get my PCR test at Bangkok Hospital-Chiang Mai, I also asked to talk with a psychiatrist.  I was so angry at the Thai and U.S. governments that I needed to talk with someone about it.  He said the Thai people are justifiably angry, too.

That's GREAT to hear!  We all would love a bit of details on cost and flight lengths and which flights.  Problem for some of us is the fact that we have jobs and family here in Thailand.  Unless it is a J&J shot, you will need 2 shots about 3 to 4 weeks apart depending on shot so you are talking at least a month in Guam (unless J&J shot) and 2 weeks of quarantine in Thailand.  Thailand quarantine runs about 45-70,000 baht on average, were you required to stay in a special hotel (Dusit Thani Guam Resort, Grand Plaza Hotel, Guam Reef Hotel, Hotel Nikko Guam, Hyatt Regency Guam, LeoPalace Resort, Lotte Hotel, Pacific Islands Club, Royal Orchid Hotel, and the Tsubaki Tower) and roughly what is that costing you?  I checked the Guam Reef Hotel (I think about the cheapest) and it was about $5,000 USD for a month.  A round trip flight out of Bangkok is about $3,000 to $5,000 USD unless you want to wait until August 2nd when it drops to $1,500-ish USD.  Shortest flight is 11hrs 35 min total and only 1 flight combo for that otherwise about 20hrs one way.  This of course does not take into consideration the money you would spend if having to stay a month.  For those interested in details:

https://www.visitguam.com/airvv/

Please let us know some details when you can and thanks for posting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Can anyone get jabbed in Guam? Or is it just US citizens?

I posted a whole article  a while ago on Guam (a US territory) sitting on a spectrum of vaccines and how they are now soliciting non-US citizens vaccine vacations to come get vaccinated.  Those vaccines could be coming here.  I don't know how to look at all the articles I have posted and welcome the info on how to do it so I could point you to it.

Here is the vaccine tourism website

https://www.visitguam.com/airvv/

For all that want to come, not just US citizens.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NancyL said:

You a round trip to Guam is about the same cost as a round trip to the west coast on the U.S. in economy class, about 34,000 baht.  Just much, much shorter.  I went business class, which was much less expensive than business class to the west coast of the U.S.

You can get the Johnson & Johnson one shot and, in theory, just stay three days.  I'd suggest staying at least 14 to be considered fully vaccinated and get some good rest and a little holiday.

As for Moderna and Pfizer, use Google to see what's recommended for the interval between vaccinations.

Just add a 'Guam Walking Street' and the floodgates will open...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, utalkin2me said:

That is the most confusing op I have ever seen

Ya, sorry, I should have arranged it a bit better logically.  Trying to rush the post before the electrical storm here in Chiang Mai knocked power out again.  It was a post to the US State Dept of a reply I made to a US House Rep assistant who completely missed the mark replying to my original e-mail regarding a spectrum of vaccine sitting in Guam that could be here in a day and how it is almost impossible to get a shot here.    I'll do better in the future.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NancyL said:

I am not looking forward to ASQ quarantine in Bangkok.  No direct flights to Phuket from this part of the world.  The rules for Bangkok ASQ make no sense for someone who has been vaccinated and tests negative. 

No outside contact.  No ordering in food, but can be delivered by family (?) , sure like Hubby will come from Chiang Mai.  No laundry service, no housekeeping service, limited menu choices served in wasteful disposable plastic during limited serving hours.  No alcohol.  No leaving the room for fresh air, exercise, swimming.  After the freedom of Guam this is going to be a long two weeks.  At least my Netflix and mobile will work in Bangkok.

Have you tried Skyscanner for a flight to Phuket?  There are ones as low as $715 USD but take 34hrs and ones at $2470 but get you there in about 24hrs.  They all seem to leave Singapore as the last leg to get to Phuket which makes it a direct flight from an international location.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you're going to post like that, you really should post details every time. From another post you said it was based on a Thai I.D. number on Mor Phrom. That was back in June too, right? How does that help people with passports NOW?

There is a great opportunity now in Bangkok at MedPark for expats with PASSPORTS but I'm not sure that most expats outside of Bangkok are going to be able to deal with the travel restrictions / potential quarantines to access that.

Covid19 Vaccine Expats - MedPark Hospital

I was able to register and get a date/time but was not given a choice of vaccine, anyone know what their dishing out?