Thailand proposes 10 year visas and land ownership for foreigners - again

webfact

When all these very wealthy see how the government have handled this pandemic and they way both Thais and Foreigners have been hung out to dry I cannot see many falling for this BS . I have lived here for 16 years on a retired extension of stay and in those years have spent at least 25 million on property and supporting the local economy and yet they offer me nothing if it wasn’t for owning a property which in these times would be difficult to sell I’d be gone like a flash .The type of foreigners they seek can move anywhere in the world with most countries offering far better returns than Thailand 

• Like 2

Do you think I was dropped on my head?  When I try to sell the property they won't buy it because of the colour of my skin.  They will offer me far less than what someone with another skin type would get.  

I would never buy land in Thailand.  

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

Indeed, any old trick that we paid never no minds to it before it is now kosher just to bring them "rich" tourists/investors/retirees in to Thailand.. how typical of Thai attitude...

All this time the gov't could have been targeting the millionaires, instead of the beer guzzlers and panty-sniffers! They think all they have to do is talk about it and it will happen!

11 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

When all these very wealthy see how the government have handled this pandemic and they way both Thais and Foreigners have been hung out to dry I cannot see many falling for this BS . I have lived here for 16 years on a retired extension of stay and in those years have spent at least 25 million on property and supporting the local economy and yet they offer me nothing if it wasn’t for owning a property which in these times would be difficult to sell I’d be gone like a flash .The type of foreigners they seek can move anywhere in the world with most countries offering far better returns than Thailand 

Sometimes, one must be careful of the extra 'attractive offers' !

I'm in the top category and they broke my balls year after year with their racist xenophobic policies and blatant harassment when all I wanted to do was enjoy my retirement and spend money here. I wouldn't invest 25 satang now out of spite. You reap what you sow. Good luck China minor.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

but no vaccine for these super wealthy A type demanding expats who will be leaving Monaco to live in Surin and shop at Lotus? 555.

and i bet after all is said and done you will still have to do 90 day reporting . 

And undoubtedly get transcripts of final qualification translated into Thai by the Thai embassy, along with grandads birth certificate.. just what digital nomads love.

Edited by eddie61

47 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Do you think I was dropped on my head?  When I try to sell the property they won't buy it because of the colour of my skin.  They will offer me far less than what someone with another skin type would get.  

I would never buy land in Thailand.  

Sell it to someone with the same colour of skin if you think that nonsense. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, LikeItHot said:

I'm in the top category and they broke my balls year after year with their racist xenophobic policies and blatant harassment

PLease tell us more. WHat exactly did they do to you?

• Like 2

"DPM Supattanapong also touted the country’s good healthcare system as a boon in helping attract up to one million high-income foreigners to buy second homes in Thailand. "

So where is the vaccine??

So let me understand this. In one criteria of “rich foreigners” … they’ll be allowed to buy land (vague as  poo criteria defined) then after ten years have no guarantee they won’t be summarily denied another visa thereby breaking the condition under which they are permitted under this proposed new law to “own land”.

13 hours ago, WineOh said:

Stories like this make me want to vomit all over my keyboard, especially during the crisis we are currently facing.

They see us as nothing but cash cows.

That includes all Thais, from the hookers sat on the curb to the billionaire pigs in the highest echelons of Thai society. Where is the humanity, Thailand? Does it even exist here??

Sickening stuff! 

Exactly my thoughts. The only Humanity they know is an anagram of the same. Thai muny

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

So let me understand this. In one criteria of “rich foreigners” … they’ll be allowed to buy land (vague as  poo criteria defined) then after ten years have no guarantee they won’t be summarily denied another visa thereby breaking the condition under which they are permitted under this proposed new law to “own land”.

How many people do you know who have been denied a visa? 

A few days ago it was “Space Exploration”, today the tired old topic of “Foreigners to own land in Thailand and be given 10-year visas”. 

Tomorrow’s headline: “Pigs seen flying over Bangkok”. The day after that: “Hell freezes over!!”

• Haha 1

1. LOL @ these bozos thinking (a) the kind of "rich" foreigner they're describing grows on trees, and (b) that such a foreigner would regard Thailand as his first or best option.

2. "Land ownership" with no path to permanent residence and/or citizenship except for those foreigners who work in Thailand? GTFO. ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sydneydave said:

Wow! As an Aussie, to comply for an over 50 visa, I need to be earning over $54,000 a year ($40k USD) and buy a property for $330,000 AUD!

The whole point of me retiring to Thailand would be because Australia's more expensive. Yet here, I can buy a beautiful 4 bedroom house near the beach for $400,000 and work in a job that will pay at least $40,000 a year, which is enough to live on.

In Thailand, I'd be hard pressed to earn $10,000 a year, if they even let me work and there doesn't seem to be a decent yield on any businesses there, for the high purchase cost.

These super rich foreigners are mostly a figment of Thailand's imagination!

Please let me know where I can buy a 4 bedroom house near the beach for $400,000 and I'll jump at the opportunity. My old 3 bedroom house is 15ks from the beach and was valued at $700,000 two months ago. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, connda said:

Every expat living here understand the absurd hoops you need to jump through to prove income.  It doesn't matter that you make 150,000 THB from say 4 different income sources (pension, government, investments etc).  No no no.  Only one income stream allowed or no visa for you!

Too many other tropical locations in this world are more accommodating for these types of people.  Thailand isn't offering much other than a headache.

LMAO

Ir would be nice to be able to bring in a container with your old household items like furnitures, kitchen equipment, PC, stereo, TV and so on without paying custom. And tax free as well! Same what a Thai returning to Thailand after min. 2-years can do.

Edited by Captor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AverageBloke said:

Please let me know where I can buy a 4 bedroom house near the beach for $400,000 and I'll jump at the opportunity. My old 3 bedroom house is 15ks from the beach and was valued at $700,000 two months ago. 

There are properties that you can buy in this range say between Proserpine and Cairns. A bit of a problem for a retiree is that a decent hospital would be quite a bit away...with heart attack or stroke it is doubtful if one would make it. But nevertheless it is an option.

I was looking at some properties there, but what puts me off is the presence of saltwater crocs. I like to swim open water and kayak, a bit on the edge there. And of course 6 months in an year the beaches are mostly unusable with irukandji  and box jellyfish around.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nottin said:

What does an annual income of $40k mean for a wealthy retiree. Is it the amount that you must transfer into the country each year, and must spend 100% of it that year since by nature a retiree no longer saves but spends? What if you don't spend it all in a year and so end up with savings, can you transfer the savings out and transfer back in the next year or invest it somewhere else in the world?

Yes you can. It is very difficult and cumbersome to issue visas based on "spending", unless that's a large initial spending like a house. You can just take out the baht, convert to something else and put it in your pocket on the way out.