Another major Thai insurance company stops offering Covid-19 cover

webfact

Wife says reports are young people giving themselves covid and demanding the 100k payout. Ah, Thailand...

The gaming aside the company should never assume more risk than it can manage. Further, no underwriter? Boo hoo. It's really just fraud then isn't it? I'd have some sympathy if money was returned fully in two business weeks but I doubt any will be returned at all. Ah, Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

Wife says reports are young people giving themselves covid and demanding the 100k payout. Ah, Thailand...

The gaming aside the company should never assume more risk than it can manage. Further, no underwriter? Boo hoo. It's really just fraud then isn't it? I'd have some sympathy if money was returned fully in two business weeks but I doubt any will be returned at all. Ah, Thailand.

what do you mean? the company was paying out immediately and then the kids hid from authoriities for 2 weeks?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, kynikoi said:

I doubt many are infecting themselves.  That was one of the excuses the insurance companies were using to not pay out.

Like you said, insurance companies shouldn't take  more risk than they can absorb.

Edited by MrJ2U
Spelling error
  • Like 2

to me it’s one thing for the insurer to decide to stop writing NEW policies - that to me is a free-market type decision each company has to make on their own… but… to cancel an existing in-force policy is something quite different .. THAT is something i’d expect the regulators to step in.

that said, i ALSO think it’s unwise for the regulators to allow conditions to continue that would lead to insurers becoming unable to pay claims- thus becoming insolvent … as much as banks and insurers will never win in the court of public opinion/sympathy, i DO think it’s in everyone’s long-term best for them to survive versus going out of business creating a mass of unpaid claims post-liquidation and reducing the pool of underwriters which id suspect only further serves to concentrate the risk into a smaller and smaller insurer base. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kynikoi said:

I can't find it now but there were comments a couple of days ago about this on here. There was some suspicion that this wasn't true since insurance companies would normally just pay medical expenses direct to the hospital but there were replies with scans of documents to show some pay out direct to those insured. I don't know if this was for medical expenses or just for having covid.

The thing that worries me is will this make it harder to get covid insurance? Maybe these are just companies that have underestimated the risk and so their premiums are too low or they are paying out when they shouldn't. I agree the second isn't that likely but the first is. Hopefully the international companies are more stable even if that means more expensive.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I doubt many are infecting themselves.  That was one of the excuses the insurance companies were using to not pay out.

Like you said, insurance companies shouldn't take  more risk than they can absorb.

Isn't that why they stated that existing policies were not affected, it was just they were not going to take any new business?

Last year the Insurance companies thought they were getting

money for nowt, as there were hardly any cases, my wife and

daughter got 100,000 Thb cover for only 150 Thb, I paid 450 Thb

for i think it was 50,000 Thb cover, now thats coming back to

haunt them, as deaths rise, but at least this company is still

honoring the policies already taken out.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

8 hours ago, elwood said:

BP reported that they reversed this decision one hour later, 

Well, they didn't reverse their decision, they had it reversed for them by the Office of the Insurance Commission and any other company that try this trick will stamped on as well. Read the side bar.

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/photos/10158145641702050

• Like 2

3 hours ago, new2here said:

to me it’s one thing for the insurer to decide to stop writing NEW policies - that to me is a free-market type decision each company has to make on their own… but… to cancel an existing in-force policy is something quite different .. THAT is something i’d expect the regulators to step in.

that said, i ALSO think it’s unwise for the regulators to allow conditions to continue that would lead to insurers becoming unable to pay claims- thus becoming insolvent … as much as banks and insurers will never win in the court of public opinion/sympathy, i DO think it’s in everyone’s long-term best for them to survive versus going out of business creating a mass of unpaid claims post-liquidation and reducing the pool of underwriters which id suspect only further serves to concentrate the risk into a smaller and smaller insurer base. 

Thanks for posting this. It seems most of the prior posters hadn't bothered to read the article and were condemning the insurance company for rescinding coverage, and the insurance market in general for denying claims on these policies. The first of these is clear from the article; existing policies will remain in force. And has anyone had a genuine claim denied or or know someone who has?

The company is well within its rights to stop offering the product and cut its losses. Quite a common practice by inderwriters,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kimamey said:

I can't find it now but there were comments a couple of days ago about this on here. There was some suspicion that this wasn't true since insurance companies would normally just pay medical expenses direct to the hospital but there were replies with scans of documents to show some pay out direct to those insured. I don't know if this was for medical expenses or just for having covid.

The thing that worries me is will this make it harder to get covid insurance? Maybe these are just companies that have underestimated the risk and so their premiums are too low or they are paying out when they shouldn't. I agree the second isn't that likely but the first is. Hopefully the international companies are more stable even if that means more expensive.

Interesting point.

Another added expense if you can find it now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Last year the Insurance companies thought they were getting

money for nowt, as there were hardly any cases, my wife and

daughter got 100,000 Thb cover for only 150 Thb, I paid 450 Thb

for i think it was 50,000 Thb cover, now thats coming back to

haunt them, as deaths rise, but at least this company is still

honoring the policies already taken out.

regards worgeordie

A lot of us who didn't get wish we had.

Scary times.

20 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

A lot of us who didn't get wish we had.

Scary times.

Also applies to covid itself, those infected in Q1-Q3 in 2020 have in many research paper reasonable immunity against current alpha and delta variants - once thought to only last six months has now be upgraded, this fact coupled with Thailand close the door mid march 2020 will make the next few months hard for Thailand - a farce vaccine rollout - and low natural immunity across the country makes the reopening in 120 days (or 90 days) unlikely

Edited by asiam110
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Well, they didn't reverse their decision, they had it reversed for them by the Office of the Insurance Commission and any other company that try this trick will stamped on as well. Read the side bar.

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/photos/10158145641702050

Is the same as stopping new contracts ...so effective stopping them selling those.

But keep the existing ones up to end date contract .....same as intenionally said by company .

Only gov. Stating those running keep insured ...

big Gov. PR  scared for their sandbox programs to fail

8 hours ago, madmitch said:

The company is well within its rights to stop offering the product and cut its losses. Quite a common practice by inderwriters,

and the Thai government is well within its rights to demand that foreigners buy non-existent insurance policies as a pre-requisite for visiting Thailand......

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, bangon04 said:

and the Thai government is well within its rights to demand that foreigners buy non-existent insurance policies as a pre-requisite for visiting Thailand......

And what does this thread have to do with the compusory covid insurance for foreign arrivals?

Absolutely nothing. Completely different product.