Thailand expands lockdown areas as COVID-19 cases surge

webfact

3 hours ago, NemoH said:

Based on the stats - of 403,386 cases and 3,341 fatalities, there is 0.005% of covid amongst Thailand 7.5m population and a death rate 0.0008 % of those infected... ?? Is this true?

No. Not true at all. You've got your decimal points in a twist. Population 75m-ish, not 7.5m. 3,300 is 0.8% of 403,000. 403,000 is 0.5% of 75m. Otherwise spot on!

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

This is not a wind up question.

I'm not sure what the "new restrictions" mean.

So for example.... yesterday we drove to Big C for a shop up. Next door we shopped in Homepro. Had intended to return today as need some accessories for artificial grass we purchased. 

Today I had planned to go check something at a townhouse we rent out to a guy (30 min visit). 40min drive each way.

The gf is telling me nothing has changed.

I tell her aseannow state things have changed. 

So ???

The 'changes' start tomorrow (Tuesday 20 July).  But I think necessary travel is still allowed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The 'changes' start tomorrow (Tuesday 20 July).  But I think necessary travel is still allowed.

It's the "necessary travel" that needs very clear definition. 

You went to work today? Is that necessary travel. Without exact guidelines who knows

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's the "necessary travel" that needs very clear definition. 

You went to work today? Is that necessary travel. Without exact guidelines who knows

I think it may be up to those who enforce the rules (if indeed anyone bothers to do so) to decide exactly what the rules are, as they go along. Which would not be without precedent here.....

4 minutes ago, georgey said:

I think it may be up to those who enforce the rules (if indeed anyone bothers to do so) to decide exactly what the rules are, as they go along. Which would not be without precedent here.....

We call that a dog's breakfast..

Or "it's all over the shop" 

For rules to work they need to have very clearly defined parameters.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

AFAIK there is only one country that managed to effectively control the spread of the Virus . That is China . 

i totally agree. They did control the spread of the virus..they made sure it reached far and wide outside of their country

Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul also plans to seek approval from the country's COVID-19 task force to temporarily regulate the export amount of locally manufactured AstraZeneca vaccines as a way to shore up COVID-19 vaccine supplies, but he gave no details about quotas, several local media reported.

Thailand has been producing the AstraZeneca vaccine since June and is slated to export it to several other countries in Southeast Asia as well as Taiwan.

Why is Thailand exporting the AstraZenica vaccine, when they don' have enough themselves?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, diddygq said:

Well, everybody knows China is totally incompetent and irresponsible. I mean they were claiming that it couldn't be spread from human to human weeks after they knew it was. The fact is they silenced whistle blowers like Dr. Li Wenliang. They shut down a city of 12 million but let international flights spread it to the entire world. We are talking about a country who just erases history and lies to their population. So the Chinese Communist Party can never be trusted. 

Well said. 

7 minutes ago, Hepbub said:

Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul also plans to seek approval from the country's COVID-19 task force to temporarily regulate the export amount of locally manufactured AstraZeneca vaccines as a way to shore up COVID-19 vaccine supplies, but he gave no details about quotas, several local media reported.

Thailand has been producing the AstraZeneca vaccine since June and is slated to export it to several other countries in Southeast Asia as well as Taiwan.

Why is Thailand exporting the AstraZenica vaccine, when they don' have enough themselves?

That was part of the deal they made with the company to be able to be the regional "hub" of manufacturing for that brand. 

• Like 2

Half hearted measures by a half hearted government.

A lock down should mean NO LEAVING YOUR HOME other than for essentials, and then mask up disinfect hands etc maintain social distancing.

That is the only way to slow down the spread.

Whilst that is happening the government should actually consider purchasing some vaccines and then actually administer them to it's people according to age.

The people are getting fed up with the shambolic handling of this crisis and the constant lies spewed out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, davemos said:

I think you said that lockdowns were necessary  and used Sweden as an example of the disastrous  consequences  of not having a lockdown .

Well two of the three countries I mentioned began with an S, 5555

Singapore, s Korea Barbados,. A number of countries dealt with the virus by containing it with lockdowns and vaccinating aggressively ASAP.”

I think someone else used Sweden as an example of something, but I doubt lockdowns. Sweden barely had one, if at all. I think someone said Sweden handled the virus “well”. But it wasn’t me.

5 hours ago, diddygq said:

Well, everybody knows China is totally incompetent and irresponsible. I mean they were claiming that it couldn't be spread from human to human weeks after they knew it was. The fact is they silenced whistle blowers like Dr. Li Wenliang. They shut down a city of 12 million but let international flights spread it to the entire world. We are talking about a country who just erases history and lies to their population. So the Chinese Communist Party can never be trusted. 

Not keen on China and their government then. Although random statements of what appears to be opinion doesn’t help establish credible sources and facts. Although they are some out there if you bothered to look.

Can you name a government that the sentiments you just expressed, cannot be said about? I can think of one, probably add another two, although I haven’t lived in those two so it’s more heresay than personal experience.

note a side note of caution, using the term “everybody knows” in and of itself is meaningless, because you don’t know “everybody”.  You know, a lot of people may know, nearly all may know, but saying everybody knows, is an impossibility.

the time lines on the “facts” you quote are a little off, but there’s no point correcting them as this thread is about Thailand restrictions, not rewriting history about Covid in China.

• Haha 1

What?  Will order large quantities of Pfizer—instead of SinoVac?  What’s gotten into their heads now?  Common sense?  Rationality? Reality?  Humility?

Edited by Isaan sailor

5 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

The never-ending madness continues. Never stops. Nobody's staying home. I'm not. Will adhere to the curfew, but will be out and about as much and more than ever. All this will do is seal the fate of hundreds of more small businesses and more poverty, mental health problems and suicide. 

Off to the market, get a last 3 full meal day of dine-in, a swim at the pool and a stroll/hang on the beach. Most of this will continue every day, for myself and most others, throughout this lockdown. Same as all the others. Ridiculous this is. 

Forgot to mention...and a massage! 

With all these millions of doses of vaccine do you think I’d be able to receive one I register two months going to Chiang Mai wall and still they have not got back to me and confirm date which hospital which vaccine more and more sounding like a joke TIT

• Like 1

6 hours ago, diddygq said:

Only one country? What about Taiwan, New Zealand, Australia, etc?  Or you could argue that Sweden did it right. They almost had no restrictions whatsoever and just kept living normally. 

As of now I wouldn't suggest that Sweden is a good example. It did have it's serendipity period, where it looked like minimising the restrictions and let covid-19 play out had its merits. Thailand also had its own serendipity period, where infections stayed low; but I suggest it's only members of the government who would claim it was completely due to their preemptive actions. Sweden has a population of just over 10 million and Thailand nearly 70 million. Deaths [which is all that really matters] in Sweden currently in the 14-15 thousand region, deaths in Thailand [as reported by those who should know] in the 3-4 thousand range. The math is easy but who comes out best in the long run and at what cost will likely never be really known.

6 hours ago, NemoH said:

Based on the stats - of 403,386 cases and 3,341 fatalities, there is 0.005% of covid amongst Thailand 7.5m population and a death rate 0.0008 % of those infected... ?? Is this true?

No. Thailand does not have a population of 7.5 people. Your other stats seem similarly off the mark. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Pretty much not, I believe. And probably won’t with delta itching to get in 5555

And that tells us why they are having such success with sinovac.

Sinovac like AZ was rushed and created to resolve the covid 19 base virus.

The problem now is that every-time a new variant comes out they have to recheck and reinvent or decide the best way to fight the new variant.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

This is not a wind up question.

I'm not sure what the "new restrictions" mean.

So for example.... yesterday we drove to Big C for a shop up. Next door we shopped in Homepro. Had intended to return today as need some accessories for artificial grass we purchased. 

Today I had planned to go check something at a townhouse we rent out to a guy (30 min visit). 40min drive each way.

The gf is telling me nothing has changed.

I tell her aseannow state things have changed. 

So ???

It is mainly at night as far as I can tell. Transport closing early. Threatening to close some travel bw provinces, but that does not seem enacted yet. Banks may close tomorrow.

The real point for me is these half ass measures do nothing. He’ll go all the way if you wanna lock down, or nothing at all. Half ass lockdowns just screw people’s livelihoods and general well being, and still allow for the virus to spread as quickly as they would otherwise. 

• Like 1