Returning to Thailand with retirement visa

Hello, I have a retirement visa just renewed and a re-entry permit. I wish to go back to Italy because one of my relatives is very sick (not with Covid). I can book easily a return ticket. I was thinking to stay about 6 weeks. With a retirement visa, if I follow all the procedures (health insurance, hotel quarantine, etc.) will they allow me to get back? Do I have to have health insurance for 365 days? Thank you very much, Eli

You apparently have a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement you applied for at immigration.

What type of visa did you have when you first entered the country that gave you the permit to stay you have been extending? If you have been extending a Non-OA visa you will need the 40/400k medical insurance.

You will need the $100,000 covid 19 insurance coverage valid to the day your re-entry permit expires. SAme for the 40/400k baht medical insurance if required.

Check here on the Thai embassy in Italy for more info about entry requirements.

http://www.thaiembassy.it/index.php/it

thank you. What is the 40/400k medical insurance. You mean I need two health insurances, one the 100000 covid 19 and the 40/400k? I am a little confused because in the link you sent it does not mention the 40/400 k

32 minutes ago, thulepaw said:

yes, I saw that, but what they write is what is required to apply for long stay/retirement and I already have  it. In Italian they write: "For the visa is required: 1) ...

If you have been extending a entry from a non-o visa it is not needed.

You did not mention what type of visa you used.

• Like 1

If you follow all of the requirements you will be able to get back in.  I can back to Thailand from the US on June 26.  I had my re-entry permit plus all of the other requirements for entry into Thailand.  I am on a retirement extension based on a non-o visa.  I did not need the 400/40 insurance, only the Covid insurance.   I had no trouble returning.  There is one question you should be prepared to answer.  Just before the immigration desk there was another area where I was asked about my plans after quarantine.  They were looking for some type of proof.  I told him I would return to my home in Chiang Rai and showed him my drivers license which has my home address.  He smiled and welcomed me home.  Other people were showing other documents like hotel reservations.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Ok thank you, yes I have been extending from a non-o visa. Great thank you again

1 hour ago, statman78 said:

If you follow all of the requirements you will be able to get back in.  I can back to Thailand from the US on June 26.  I had my re-entry permit plus all of the other requirements for entry into Thailand.  I am on a retirement extension based on a non-o visa.  I did not need the 400/40 insurance, only the Covid insurance.   I had no trouble returning.  There is one question you should be prepared to answer.  Just before the immigration desk there was another area where I was asked about my plans after quarantine.  They were looking for some type of proof.  I told him I would return to my home in Chiang Rai and showed him my drivers license which has my home address.  He smiled and welcomed me home.  Other people were showing other documents like hotel reservations.

Thank you so much for this. Yes, I can show also my drivers license with my home address. Thank you for the tip

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chosenfew said:

Thanks ubonjoe for you are a great resource.

If any USA folks have any experience please let me know.

I am an American living in Thailand.  I went back to the US in early June and returned to Thailand late June.  I purchased my covid insurance here in Thailand, on line, from Tune Insurance.  I needed to be covered until by extension expires in late January.  My only option was a 1 year policy.  I got 3.5 million baht of coverage for 15,000 baht

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2021 at 8:55 AM, ubonjoe said:

With apologize, if i understand you well with a retirement extension and a visa type 'O', I don't need an insurance 40/100?

It is al so confusion because why you need insurance with 'OA' and not with 'O'

For long time I like to take a return trip Thailand-Netherl-Thailand but wait because it is possible for some reason they don't you let in when you come back to LOS.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Out of interest, I went on there and filled in the first page, which offers 2 options for Non O, i.e. Non O and Non O (Retirement). Clicking on 'Next' brings up a panel with this:-

“ For Visa type : Non-O (Retirement), Long Stay O-A, O-X , STV , a separate Health Insurance Policy is required. The limit sum insured for In-Patient is not less than THB 400,000 and for Out-Patient is not less than THB 40,000 ”

So it looks as if to avoid the extra requirement, if you're Non-O with a re-entry permit, you avoid mentioning Retirement, even though that is what it says on your extension stamp?

57 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Out of interest, I went on there and filled in the first page, which offers 2 options for Non O, i.e. Non O and Non O (Retirement). Clicking on 'Next' brings up a panel with this:-

“ For Visa type : Non-O (Retirement), Long Stay O-A, O-X , STV , a separate Health Insurance Policy is required. The limit sum insured for In-Patient is not less than THB 400,000 and for Out-Patient is not less than THB 40,000 ”

So it looks as if to avoid the extra requirement, if you're Non-O with a re-entry permit, you avoid mentioning Retirement, even though that is what it says on your extension stamp?

Ignore that notice. It is not correct. They have nothing to do with issuance of a certificate of entry.

Use non-o retirement for the covid 19 insurance and apply for the COE.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 7:53 AM, ubonjoe said:

You apparently have a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement you applied for at immigration.

What type of visa did you have when you first entered the country that gave you the permit to stay you have been extending? If you have been extending a Non-OA visa you will need the 40/400k medical insurance.

You will need the $100,000 covid 19 insurance coverage valid to the day your re-entry permit expires. SAme for the 40/400k baht medical insurance if required.

Check here on the Thai embassy in Italy for more info about entry requirements.

http://www.thaiembassy.it/index.php/it

I am exactly in the same situation of Eli.....I have an extension of stay of a NON-O (retirement) visa and will go back Italy mid September, back in Bangkok 1st week of October. The NON-O (retirement) visa I have doesn't require the generic medical insurance (at least until my last renewal 11 months ago), will I have to do it before returning to Bangkok? Or will I only need the insurance for Covid?

14 minutes ago, Maxfra67 said:

I am exactly in the same situation of Eli.....I have an extension of stay of a NON-O (retirement) visa and will go back Italy mid September, back in Bangkok 1st week of October. The NON-O (retirement) visa I have doesn't require the generic medical insurance (at least until my last renewal 11 months ago), will I have to do it before returning to Bangkok? Or will I only need the insurance for Covid?

The medical insurance should not be required but each embassy may do it differently.

You need to check with the Thai embassy in Rome to find out their requirements.

Info is here on the their website. http://www.thaiembassy.it/index.php/en/consular-services/certificato-di-ingresso-coe