Travelling From Phuket to Khon Kaen Via Bangkok

grubman

I will be travelling to Phuket in August via the sandbox program and after my 14 days I will be travelling to my wife and home in Khon Kaen, looking for flights i noticed that the only was to get back to Khon Kaen is via flight connection in Bangkok, So my question is if I transit through Bangkok airport will I be required to quarantine / self isolate upon arrival in Khon Kaen as Bangkok is classed a deep red zone, i am vaccinated and will have a pcr test 2 day prior to leaving Phuket as per the sandbox protocol,   

I am hoping that i will not have to quarantine / self isolate upon arriving in Khon Kaen 

If you plan on leaving Phuket after the 14 day quarantine and going the Khon Kaen, why not just fly into BKK and avoid the domestic flight?

1 hour ago, bbko said:

If you plan on leaving Phuket after the 14 day quarantine and going the Khon Kaen, why not just fly into BKK and avoid the domestic flight?

I am flying direct into Phuket early August and will complete the 14 day sandbox and then want to return to my wife and home in Khon Kaen, If i was to fly direct into bangkok i would have to go into a ASQ doe 15 night, to be honest the Phuket sandbox is a much better option as at least i can go out from my room and enjoy free movement with in the island of Phuket, where in Bangkok i am confined to my hotel room for the entire time, si what i was wanting to know do they class transiting through Bangkok airport as being in Bangkok deep red zone

44 minutes ago, impulse said:

You may have to make other travel arrangements.  Or not.  They flip-flop a lot.  It may be fine by August.

I know that flights have been stopped at present but i am hoping that in late august when i want to travel to Khon Kaen it will be fine, i am just wanting to know if transiting through bangkok airport is classed as being in the Deep red zone and upon arrival being made self isolate at home for another 14 days 

however i have now found a direct flight to Khon Kaen but it will mean a few extra days in Phuket which i don't really want to spend there. 

3 minutes ago, grubman said:

I am flying direct into Phuket early August and will complete the 14 day sandbox and then want to return to my wife and home in Khon Kaen, If i was to fly direct into bangkok i would have to go into a ASQ doe 15 night, to be honest the Phuket sandbox is a much better option as at least i can go out from my room and enjoy free movement with in the island of Phuket, where in Bangkok i am confined to my hotel room for the entire time, si what i was wanting to know do they class transiting through Bangkok airport as being in Bangkok deep red zone

Ah ok, I understand now.  It hard to answer your question as things change fast here.  When I flew back to Thailand this May, I was fully vaccinated and the Thai Embassy in the US said I needed to stay in a ASQ hotel for 14 (or 15) days, so I booked the ASQ hotel for 14/15 days, but once I arrived here they told me since I was already vaccinated I only had to stay 7 days.  But it was really more like 6 as I checked in late at night and was allowed to go early on the last day. I'm guessing you'll get more information once you land in Phuket, if flying is going to land you locked down in a BKK hotel, I'd consider ground transportation.

Nobody knows what happen in August. Thailand may hit 30k infected/day and that is new story! They already thinking more hard restrictions , if number of infected still increase who know what happen! Maybe going to be as hard as last year. Maybe all in sandbox are soon stuck in sandbox only time will tell. But already is hard to move from there to other part of country!

31 minutes ago, grubman said:

I know that flights have been stopped at present but i am hoping that in late august when i want to travel to Khon Kaen it will be fine, i am just wanting to know if transiting through bangkok airport is classed as being in the Deep red zone and upon arrival being made self isolate at home for another 14 days 

however i have now found a direct flight to Khon Kaen but it will mean a few extra days in Phuket which i don't really want to spend there. 

In Thailand, especially today, I'd suggest waiting until you're closer to your planned travel date to see what the rules will be when you're ready to make the trip.  I don't think anyone can predict a month out whether you will even be able to fly domestic through a dark red zone, whether BKK will be in a dark red zone, (maybe HKT will be a red zone), or whether that flight from HTK to KKC will be cancelled or the date moved.  Your wife is probably better tuned in to tell you whether KK requires a quarantine on the day of your arrival, and how (if?) that will be enforced.

One nice thing about flying in Thailand is they don't seem to bend you over the table if you wait until the last minute to book a flight.  In the USA, I'd look a month out because that saves a lot of money on the fare. In Thailand, I often booked flights the day before, at the same price.  (YMMV on that one, just my experience) 

My suggestion...  Quit sweating it, enjoy Phuket, and see where things are in August.  I'd add that the cost of burning a ticket because the rules change, is higher than waiting to book your flight until you know for sure what the rules will be.

Uncertainty !  Now because of the variant ,no one can  predict anything. Who knows you  might get tested  positive in your travels ,even though you're been vaccinated,   from that poison that's taking over  again ! imop

Good Luck ,safe trip !

Edited by riclag