Confusion with thaievisa.go.th and Non-O visa

I'm headed from Thailand to USA next week for the vaccine and a holiday in the Rockies. My plan is to apply for a non-O visa for Retirement, as I am now eligible, and return to Thailand five weeks later. I have submitted the application for my non-O visa at www.thaievisa.go.th in advance in the hopes that I would receive my visa well before I leave the USA early September.

However after submitting everything online the next step is very confusing. They want me to pay online and have already scheduled an appointment for me at LA Consulate 9am tomorrow. The thing is I'm not in LA (still in Thailand) and in fact I will not ever be in LA. I was under the impression that they only do mail-in visa applications due to COVID - no appointments at all. Has this changed? And if so, how do they deal with visa applicants who can not get to the consulate? I had originally intended to use the mailing address of a US relative whom I will see at the end of my visit to the USA.

Or, am I doing something wrong? Anyhow, for the moment I have not gone ahead with payment until I better understand what I need to do next.

And I have a couple related questions:

Do I actually need a non-O visa to return to Thailand (considering the strict COVID rules)? Can I still fly without any visa at all and apply for the non-O in Thailand later? I'm Australian.

And, since I'm applying for the visa as an Australian in the USA, will my application even be accepted? I am a US/Aussie dual national but I only ever use my US passport to travel to the US and applying for the Non-O as an American is not an option.

You applied to early. It gives a appointment date but it does not apply since you have to mail your passport to the consulate along with the application that has a barcode on it you will print out.

There is a requirement you are in the US as a resident during the application process. You will upload your US passport photo page there.

You can apply for the non-o visa as a US citizen if you want to. They are being issued now.

Aha ok, thanks @ubonjoe! I was expecting that barcode, not an appointment. Good to know I can ignore that appointment message.

I presumed I could complete the application process before I leave, print and prepare everything here, then mail my passport off the day I land in the US, next week. My Aussie passport will not have any USA stamps in it since I will use my US passport in the US, I assume that's not a problem.

Is it really not possible to apply, at least online, today?? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself by submitting early but I just wanted any potential extra time in case of delays. Five weeks in USA doesn't seem very long considering I also have to apply for CoE later.

I can not apply for Non-O as a US citizen because I've lived in Thailand for 20 years as an Aussie. All my bank, license, deeds, family book, literally everything here was done as an Aussie. If I suddenly switched nationalities it would undoubtedly be a huge mess and that's why it's not an option.

I didn't see any option to also submit my US passport page, does that come later in the process such as when I mail my Aussie passport to the consulate?

Thanks again!

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you already have a Thai bank account a good option would be to enter visa exempt to get a 45 day permit to stay that can be extended for 30 days and then apply for the non-o visa at immigration.

No needed for the 40k/400k baht medical insurance needed if you apply for a non-o visa at immigration. That will be needed to get the COE.

You will only need covid 19 insurance to cover the 45 day entry from the visa exempt entry.

Thai bank account is not a problem. And that certainly seems like a far simpler, less stressful option, frankly. Maybe I was misinformed, I didn't know they are still letting people in visa-exempt during this time. I'll look into this option further. Thanks!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Why not get your Non-O before you leave?  Should be simpler.

Because a non-o visa based upon retirement applied for at a embassy or official consulate requires the 40/400k medical insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Because a non-o visa based upon retirement applied for at a embassy or official consulate requires the 40/400k medical insurance.

Sheryl recently pointed out that it's not a Covid policy required for all entries today.  It's health insurance that doesn't exclude Covid.   I'm confused at the difference between the health insurance now required for all entries vs that required for a non-O.  The only difference I see is that the non-O insurance may have to cover the whole year, while the insurance for a visa exempt only has to cover 45 days?

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Sheryl recently pointed out that it's not a Covid policy required for all entries today.  It's health insurance that doesn't exclude Covid.   I'm confused at the difference between the health insurance now required for all entries vs that required for a non-O.  The only difference I see is that the non-O insurance may have to cover the whole year, while the insurance for a visa exempt only has to cover 45 days?

The other difference is that some insurance companies offer Covid only insurance (or, sometimes, travel insurance that includes Covid). That is far cheaper than comprehensive health insurance of US$100,000, especially for those who are older.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

But he is leaving in a week or so and will apply for a non-o visa at a embassy. Read the OP again.

What i don't understand is why he doesn't get his visa here before leaving, where it's simpler.  Ah well, up to him.  ????

32 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

What i don't understand is why he doesn't get his visa here before leaving, where it's simpler.  Ah well, up to him.  ????

He wrote this in the OP.

On 7/20/2021 at 3:13 PM, clokwise said:

My plan is to apply for a non-O visa for Retirement, as I am now eligible, and return to Thailand five weeks later. I

Apparently he cannot apply for a non-o visa at immigration. He would have to be on a visa exempt or tourist visa entry to do the application.

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2021 at 6:53 PM, DefaultName said:

Why not get your Non-O before you leave?  Should be simpler.

I can not convert my current Elite visa to non-O. I've been told this by more than one immigration officer.

Edited by clokwise
  • Like 1