Best whiskies

23 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Glenmorangie single malt. 1,800 baht in the local minimart.

I will absolutely second Glenmorangie as it is the best by a country mile. Good luck to everyone and I could only afford ‘one bottle per day per man perhaps’????????????????????????????

• Like 1

Mark-up of quality whisky is huge in Thailand, over 50pc above UK prices. However Johnny Walker whiskies seem to have the economy of scale in their favour so some prices are only a bit more than UK prices. Not that I recommend JW in general but their Green Label is a blend of four 15 year old Single Malts and is an acceptable dram for less than 2000 baht . Personally I would pay more for a Glen Scotia which I am told is still available in Bangkok. My favourite is the Glen Scotia Double Cask for about 2400 baht. (less than 40 quid in the UK)

Whisky.... NO “E”.. try some ...

The difference comes from the translation of words from the Scottish and Irish Gaelic forms. In the late 1800s, Scottish whisky was also very poor quality therefore the Irish producers wanted to differentiate their product. These days though, both Scotch and Irish are two of the greatest spirits on the planet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJ54 said:

Whisky.... NO “E”.. try some ...

The difference comes from the translation of words from the Scottish and Irish Gaelic forms. In the late 1800s, Scottish whisky was also very poor quality therefore the Irish producers wanted to differentiate their product. These days though, both Scotch and Irish are two of the greatest spirits on the planet. 

Whisky is singular

Whiskies plural

1 hour ago, jack7106 said:

I will absolutely second Glenmorangie as it is the best by a country mile. Good luck to everyone and I could only afford ‘one bottle per day per man perhaps’????????????????????????????

Agree. Definately my favourite

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 55Jay said:

Had a brief fling with single-malt a few years ago but didn't develop a nose for the odor of rotting kelp at low tide.  Retreated to more benign Johnny Black or Jameson's before abandoning it for a new fling with IPA beers; some of which had the odor of sweaty gym socks squirted with grapefruit. 

Yumm! ????

You should write books

• Like 1

Glenlivet Founders Reserve 1824 - Best regular ‘drinker’ (always get a bottle from Duty free)

Glenlivet Rare Cask - Best ’slightly better’ regular drinker (always get a bottle from Duty free)

Bruichladdich - Laddie Eight ‘excellent, but harder to find’ (pick one up whenever I see it)

Bruichladdich - Black Art ’the best whisky I’ve tried’ (too expensive !)

Hibiki 12 year - Best non Scotch whisky - rare as hens teeth (even in Japan).

Auchentoshan American Oak - also a good regular drinker and available in Thailand (not crazily priced)

Woodford reserve - when I fancy an Old Fashioned !

I’m perfectly happy in a bar with friends and Bottle of Chivas, BlackLabel or Jamesons on the table...   but I enjoy my selection when at home and I fancy a tipple.... 

Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 10.25.17.png

Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 10.27.42.png

Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 10.30.18.png

Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 10.31.11.png

Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 10.31.50.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1