Best whiskies

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I stay with Black. I know it's not exactly the best whisky out there. But it's available in every girly bar. 

And girls and Black combined is better than just a good whisky - at least IMHO.

I get too full drinking beer after beer and always want to move onto Whisky...  but the following annoys me in the bars and especially the ‘girly bars’...

- A single shot of BlackLabel is more expensive than a beer and lasts one or two swigs !

- In so many of the ‘girly type bars marketed towards foreigners’ the BlackLabel is counterfeit and I know I’m drinking counterfeit swill which will give me a worse hangover. 

In a better bar where we can buy the bottle the BlackLabel is genuine, I can tasted that its genuine and I can tell the next day that it ‘was’ genuine.

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I get too full drinking beer after beer and always want to move onto Whisky...  but the following annoys me in the bars and especially the ‘girly bars’...

- A single shot of BlackLabel is more expensive than a beer and lasts one or two swigs !

- In so many of the ‘girly type bars marketed towards foreigners’ the BlackLabel is counterfeit and I know I’m drinking counterfeit swill which will give me a worse hangover. 

In a better bar where we can buy the bottle the BlackLabel is genuine, I can tasted that its genuine and I can tell the next day that it ‘was’ genuine.

I drink Black in gogo bars in Bangkok since many years. Sometimes per glas and sometimes per bottle.

In my experience in most bars (which I used to visit) it's the real thing.

I had a few times when it was obvious that it was counterfeit. Sometimes I complained, sometimes not, but I will just never return to those places. The last time I looked (pre Covid) those counterfeit bars didn't last long. Good riddance. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:
4 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Irish whisky, of any type is far superior to  any Scotch whisky.   

As long as you add enough coke, the whiskey doesn't matter.

Wasn't there a senior American statesman who, when asked how he liked his Scotch, said the same way as he liked his women, "Eighteen years old, with coke."?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Mark-up of quality whisky is huge in Thailand, over 50pc above UK prices. However Johnny Walker whiskies seem to have the economy of scale in their favour so some prices are only a bit more than UK prices. Not that I recommend JW in general but their Green Label is a blend of four 15 year old Single Malts and is an acceptable dram for less than 2000 baht . Personally I would pay more for a Glen Scotia which I am told is still available in Bangkok. My favourite is the Glen Scotia Double Cask for about 2400 baht. (less than 40 quid in the UK)

True the tax on the best stuff puts it out of range for me. On the other hand blends like Dewars white label is far cheaper here than in the UK, if I can't get that 100 pipers by Seagrams has to do.

For me this is as good as it gets. There are more expensive and exclusive malts out there but I have to say this is what does it for me. Really hard to get over here especially since they closed down the online ordering sites.

Laphroaig 10 Year Old

9 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

For me this is as good as it gets. There are more expensive and exclusive malts out there but I have to say this is what does it for me. Really hard to get over here especially since they closed down the online ordering sites.

Laphroaig 10 Year Old

Described as road tar by some

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I stay with Black. I know it's not exactly the best whisky out there. But it's available in every girly bar. 

And girls and Black combined is better than just a good whisky - at least IMHO.

Girls and whisky is better than whisky, or worse, depending on the girls, not the whisky

9 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Girls and whisky is better than whisky, or worse, depending on the girls, not the whisky

Correct. Luckily there is often a larger selection of acceptable girls than acceptable whiskies. 

And after drinking enough of any whisky the amount of acceptable girls seem to increase. ???? 

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Correct. Luckily there is often a larger selection of acceptable girls than acceptable whiskies. 

And after drinking enough of any whisky the amount of acceptable girls seem to increase. ???? 

Whisky lasts longer than 5 mins

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is no "enough" with whisky.  "Not enough" and "too much" overlap.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:29 PM, Rookiescot said:

Laphroaig 10 Year Old

Too peaty for my liking (each to their own of course).

............ I do like the PX cask which has a lot of the ‘peaty edginess’ take off... 

One that has not been mentioned yet.... 

Aultmore (Speyside)....  sweeter fruitier and softer and for me an ‘easier’ whisky than Islay Whiskies...

12 year is already great the 18 year not significantly better at double the price.

10 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

There is no "enough" with whisky.  "Not enough" and "too much" overlap.

One night I finished one bottle of Black alone (the others were drinking other drinks). I can assure you it was enough.

But not too much because the good news is I had no headache or hangover the next day. ????