Brit passport expiring shortly... can go back to UK?

With the situation worsening here I have been thinking of heading back to the UK with my son and wife (they both have a Thai passport and a British passport each). However, my son's British passport expires in mid August 2021 (his Thai passport recently renewed). Baring in mind the requirement of 3 months validity on a passport to travel - will he be able to travel to the UK? Will The Thai Immigration let him travel and will UK Immigration allow him in? My thinking was that as he is British - it should be okay (as long  as we get it renewed whilst there).... anyone know for sure?

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He’s British, he can’t be rejected entry into the UK. 

Show his British Passport upon Checkin (to prove Nationality / no need for visa in Thai passport).

Depart Thailand on his Thai passport at Thai Immigration.

Enter the UK on his Expired (or soon to expire) British Passport.

Renew Passport from within the UK while you are there. 

...that is exactly how I was thinking if doing it! Thanks for confirming.

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

He’s British, he can’t be rejected entry into the UK. 

Show his British Passport upon Checkin (to prove Nationality / no need for visa in Thai passport).

Depart Thailand on his Thai passport at Thai Immigration.

Enter the UK on his Expired (or soon to expire) British Passport.

Renew Passport from within the UK while you are there. 

Agreed with above however I would be wary of some airline jobsworth denying boarding for an expired British passport and his Thai passport not having a British visa. I know that UK would not reject him entry however one never knows how airline staff will handle it. Best to return before British passport expires.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Agreed with above however I would be wary of some airline jobsworth denying boarding for an expired British passport and his Thai passport not having a British visa. I know that UK would not reject him entry however one never knows how airline staff will handle it. Best to return before British passport expires.

Yes - totally agree. Thanks!

On 7/23/2021 at 7:04 PM, soi3eddie said:

If by some chance check-in staff flag the passport as invalid, just ask politely to speak to the Duty Officer. S/he will undoubtedly sort the issue quickly - D/Os have the power and get paid to take those kinds of decisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I assume that they wll leave Thailand with the Thai passport and enter the UK with the UK passport. Then leave the UK with the UK passport and enter Thailand with the Thai passport. They won't be refused entry to the UK as they're UK citizens. Just check if you will all have to go into quarantine because you will have come from Thailand. I don't know.

If you want to, I expect that it will only take 3-4 weeks to renew the passport in Bangkok.

Edited by renaissanc
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, renaissanc said:

I assume that they wll leave Thailand with the Thai passport and enter the UK with the UK passport. Then leave the UK with the UK passport and enter Thailand with the Thai passport. They won't be refused entry to the UK as they're UK citizens. Just check if you will all have to go into quarantine because you will have come from Thailand. I don't know.

At this time Thailand is an Amber Country so, unless they travel via the UAE or another red country, hotel quarantine is not required, but self isolation at the destination address is. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2021 at 8:05 AM, greenmonkey said:
On 7/23/2021 at 8:04 PM, soi3eddie said:

Expand  

Yes - totally agree. Thanks!

Not quite....  Jobsworth or not. In such a case all the Airline needs to do is have you sign a document saying you will not hold the airline responsible for any decision made by immigration. 

Any supervisor will know this even if a ‘jobs-worth’ at the desk does not. 

4 hours ago, renaissanc said:

If you want to, I expect that it will only take 3-4 weeks to renew the passport in Bangkok.

In November 2020 it took just under 4 weeks to receive my passport renewal (although I was advised a the time it would take 8 weeks). 

Timings may be highly variable with Covid-19 closures and restrictions etc.

First things first, check if the VFS is open ? then make an appointment, you can also may more for fast track - but that just gets you a faster appointment time, it does not speed up the actual processing and renewal of the passport. 

Best option if you want to travel soon (less than 6 weeks)

Go back to the UK with the exiting passport, even if it has expired. 

Book and appointment and renew in the UK. 

IF you are travelling in more than 8 weeks:

Get an appointment at the VFS and renew the passport. 

IF you are travelling in more than 6 weeks: 

Fast track your VFS appointment and renew the passport.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 8:04 PM, soi3eddie said:

There is no need to present his Thai passport at boarding. This will only create confusion, so don't do that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

There is no need to present his Thai passport at boarding. This will only create confusion, so don't do that.

Sorry I meant at check-in (rather than boarding). The check-in agent would almost certainly not accept any expired passport.

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not quite....  Jobsworth or not. In such a case all the Airline needs to do is have you sign a document saying you will not hold the airline responsible for any decision made by immigration. 

Any supervisor will know this even if a ‘jobs-worth’ at the desk does not. 

Might just possibly work with British Airways heading to the UK but I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of a refusal to travel from a foreign airline especially as it would likely stop the whole OP family's trip. Have you actually done this?

12 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Sorry I meant at check-in (rather than boarding). The check-in agent would almost certainly not accept any expired passport.

At checinin there is no need to present a Thai passport if travelling out of the country on a UK passport. It will only create confusion and it is accepted to travel on the plane, even if expired.

50 minutes ago, stevenl said:

At checinin there is no need to present a Thai passport if travelling out of the country on a UK passport. It will only create confusion and it is accepted to travel on the plane, even if expired.

I assume he is not here with a UK passport entry. If he was a valid passport would be needed to clear immigration.

It is standard procedure to show both passports when checking in for a flight if they are here as a Thai to confirm they can enter the UK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume he is not here with a UK passport entry. If he was a valid passport would be needed to clear immigration.

It is standard procedure to show both passports when checking in for a flight if they are here as a Thai to confirm they can enter the UK.

Yes you are correct ubonjoe. My son came into Thailand on his Thai passport. He will leave on his Thai passport but I am guessing as there is no UK visa in it - Thai Immigration will need to see his Brit passport just to ensure that he can travel. That is my understanding.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

Thai Immigration will need to see his Brit passport just to ensure that he can travel. That is my understanding.

Thai immigration will not check for a visa in his passport.

Only the airlines are concerned with that since they responsible for returning a person that cannot enter the destination country.