Phuket Sandbox: Nearly 10,000 tourists so far - US/Brits top list spending 70,000 baht each

webfact

2 hours ago, Millcx said:

And I am 100% with ya on that buddy .. 70k each 55555555555555555 … Nearly chocked on my egg and sausage soda this morning 55555555555

That's an awful lot of ice-creams for the kids eh ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The much heralded reopening to foreign tourists scheme has now nearly been going a month after it began with a red carpet to the first arrivals on July 1st.

In that time there has been nearly 10,000 tourists, said Thanakorn. 

Meanwhile more than 10,000 domestic tourists, who would have spent the same amount of money per day, have cancelled their plans to visit Phuket and other destinations in the area transitting via Phuket airport, due to the constantly changing test requirements for domestic travellers. We have now for the second time cancelled a planned trip, as the required clean Covid tests are hard impossible to find and are valid for only 7 days 3 days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chang1 said:

£120 a day for hotel and food is cheap? You must have stupidly expensive tastes, if a couple can't easily live on over £200 a day. Our hotel is about £550 for 15 days including breakfasts for the 3 of us. Another 25000 Baht for tests still leaves plenty for something with the rice. 

You still haven't replied to an earlier question as to why you are coming to Phuket, are you an expat returning to Thailand with your family, you say above there are 3 of you, or are you totally braindead and coming for a holiday ?? If you are an expat then I fully understand, as a tourist...................

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I have a mate currently in the sandbox. He does not live full time in Thailand but does have a wife and property here so he is definitely not a standard 'tourist' I would guess he would be typical of many there at the moment.

You know this for a fact only folks coming have been here in the past. It doesn't matter whats happening there will always be people who come to visit.

• Like 1

"Many plan to go to Chiang Mai and Bangkok next". 

I'm trying to wrap my head around this.  Can you just cruise around in Bangkok as if people weren't literally dying in the streets?

Change Mai.  Are there flights?

This government and its priorities are upsidedown.

9 hours ago, shdmn said:

But the doomers here said it was failing, nobody was coming, it was turning into the zombie apocalypse.  Island of Dr. Moreau etc.  How could this be?  Is it possible the doomers are talking our of their spincters?

Watch a few popular YouTubers in Phuket.  It's DEAD.  I was watching Thailand Tony.  You can see some of his explorations from this week.

Saying that its absolutely beautiful without the crowds.  I'd love to play out the Pandemic in a resort by the beach.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Take off your blinkers , thoroughly examine what is claimed ( moving on to Bangkok and Chiang Mai !!! for example) , note the obvious flaw in TATS projected figures ( as pointed out by Asean now ) then take an anti propaganda vaccine.

Your responding to a troll unfortunately, and his views are set in concrete. We are all doomers in his eyes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Are Chinese allowed to travel outside China?

Don’t think so unless deemed necessary. Plus there were reports a lot don’t want to travel as there is 3 week quarantine and they fear covid in other countries due to variants and seemingly in China they have it under control ????

• Like 2

10 hours ago, shdmn said:

Where do you get yours? If you had any.

You are obviously a resident of Phuket and a business owner .

Could you please give a detailed report of your hugely increased revenue since the beginning of July.

Asking for a friend whose business revenue on the island this month has been zero.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

You know this for a fact only folks coming have been here in the past. It doesn't matter whats happening there will always be people who come to visit.

The fact that I said ' I guess he would be typical' would rather imply a personal opinion and not a statement of fact. What do you reckon?

10 hours ago, madmitch said:

The TAT calculator strikes again. None of the figures add up, even the basic ones.

On another point, a friend was playing beach volleyball with a group of younger Swedes yesterday: Sandbox tourist who've been here for ten days. They'd intended staying much longer but have already changed their flights to go home earlier as there's nothing to do away from the beach: no bars, no clubs, few restaurants.

Young Swedes playing volleyball.......happy memories !

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

Meanwhile more than 10,000 domestic tourists, who would have spent the same amount of money per day, have cancelled their plans to visit Phuket and other destinations in the area transitting via Phuket airport, due to the constantly changing test requirements for domestic travellers. We have now for the second time cancelled a planned trip, as the required clean Covid tests are hard impossible to find and are valid for only 7 days 3 days.

With everything closed any no place to play many people actually save.

Domestic tourism is just money spent in one place that would be spent in another.

Populations have set discretionary income for entertainment. This has been shown again and again.

In the US private interests lobby for public money to build sports stadiums, spouting the benefits.  It is corrupt. Except for Game day no visitors to nearby entertainment zones. 

Foreign tourists parachute hard resources from abroad that is why various countries covet them.

• Like 1