Give foreigners thirty year visas for million dollar investment and watch land prices rocket, says Phuket group

webfact

I would consider investing THB 5 million on real estate and promise to spend at least THB 150.000 per month, if I could be guaranteed:

1. Minimum a 10 year visa.

2. No 90 day reporting.

3. Completely tax free for 10 years.

4. Five years of free golfing, massages and bar-fines.

5. Free vaccines of best quality when needed.

Make me this offer and I will buy the condo today.

Edited by khunpa
  • Haha 1

What are these people smoking to come up with ideas

Like this 

There needs to be a medication around that can give them a bit if  reality 

To come up with some better suggestions 

They could try Brain storming but that might be a bit  to much 

Surely should be indefinite leave to stay. Problem would be law may change at any time and investment devalued lost or highly taxed. Any increase in property prices  would be detrimental to the Thai people for a short time gain

4 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

Surely should be indefinite leave to stay. Problem would be law may change at any time and investment devalued lost or highly taxed. Any increase in property prices  would be detrimental to the Thai people for a short time gain

Welcome-- to the Hotel smelly Formula.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, khunpa said:

I would consider investing THB 5 million on real estate and promise to spend at least THB 150.000 per month, if I could be guaranteed:

2. No 90 day reporting.

sadly one can NOT trust the Thais when it comes to long term agreements or contracts.  Governments change over there, coups do happen, policies change, etc.  Trust little

I am sure some drug dealers need another location to wash some cash and have a place to escape to as they go into hiding, oh wait Thailand would extradite them unlike finding their own billionaires and bringing them to justice.  Double edged sword blade that the country likes to try and balance on.

I copied from Facebook some thais who want to leave Thailand were sharing. You decide if what Phuket is offering is a good deal or not.... 

FB_IMG_1627379267324.jpg

FB_IMG_1627379264891.jpg

FB_IMG_1627379262004.jpg

FB_IMG_1627379258683.jpg

FB_IMG_1627379253478.jpg

FB_IMG_1627379256316.jpg

FB_IMG_1627379246729.jpg

FB_IMG_1627379250717.jpg

Edited by Pravda

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

I’m not seeing all that many protectionist comments…only a few.  

The free market appears to have spoken already.  The Thailand elite visa hasn’t yet hit 10,000 members at $30,000 for a 20 year visa since it was introduced 18 years ago.  So now they think that somewhere there are a million multimillionaires chomping at the bit to pony up a little over $900,000 for a 30 year visa?

Yeah, only 6-7 on a forum of mostly foreigners, around here it feels like lots to me.   Either way is fine for me.   Even with rules and restrictions, there's always a way.   The 'foreigners can't own land' laws certainly has not stopped foreigners (especially Russian and Chinese) from owning land here.    

"They claim this and other measures would result in land prices on the southern Thai island rising by up to three times." That's very selfish. Local people would not be able to afford to buy a house or condominium.

1 hour ago, khunpa said:

2. No 90 day reporting.

In the land of lies, your promise would mean very little to them 55

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

People that can spend 30milj baht can spend a milj more to get the Elite visa so why does he even come.up with this . And owning land will never be alowed not in 30milj years . 

Keep in mind your visa status is dependant on you keeping that 30 million investment , just like investment visa . Go below required amount and your visa is nulled, change investment and need to change visa 

• Like 1

I still can not get over how easily they throw numbers around , as if 1 million dollars is a spare change.

Very fee would have a million dollars in cash to spare to invest in Thailand just to live in Thailand but to then it’s like a few thousand baht 

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

I still can not get over how easily they throw numbers around , as if 1 million dollars is a spare change.

Very fee would have a million dollars in cash to spare to invest in Thailand just to live in Thailand but to then it’s like a few thousand baht 

Exactly…and considering that HNWI start at $1,000,000 in assets, who is going to liquidate 100% of their portfolio and move it all to Thai real estate or government bonds.

Even UHNWI with net worths of $30,000,000 would probably be hesitant to park $1,000,000 here for the purpose of a 30 year visa.  And there are fewer than 300,000 UHNWI worldwide.

Back to the drawing board.

Edited by Airalee

"Give foreigners thirty year visas for million dollar investment and watch land prices rocket, says Phuket group"

No doubt the developers would love that to happen, that's what drives there proposals.

On the other hand it would probably massively increase prices for all housing in the area and the wider area go through the roof, meaning that a very large number of Thai folks are unable to ever dream of owning a home; could also mean a very big backlash and very negative attitudes towards foreigners. 

23 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I applaud Thailand for thinking outside of the box, and not running to foreign governments or the IMF for a trillion dollar injection and subsequently being beholden to the whims of those lenders, but I don’t think that the scheme that is being proposed is something that will come to fruition as it doesn’t offer a good value.  If it did, there would be far more elite visa holders than there currently are.

Just like the elite visa, which I'm surprised is even still around, I don't think there are that many significant negatives to having the program around.  It's just another avenue or vector for folks who do find it to be a good value.  Also I think there is a real psychological difference between buying a purple ink elite stamp for whatever they are charging now (500-800k Baht?) and being able to have chanotes with your name on it along with the permanence/possibilities of a plot of dirt.   One is 'yeah you can hang out here for as long as you want' vs. 'okay, you can try to build something here.'  

I know I'd love to have homes (and long term visa or PR) in a number of places (outside of Thailand) with investment schemes that I can't quite afford yet.  It's nice to know that the options are there though.   

Edited by Heng

I cannot identify. I retired to Thailand due to not being able to afford retirement in my own country(USA). I can sustain the 65,000 baht per month without end but … Well,, if I had many more than one million, maybe one of my homes would be in Thailand, but I doubt it. With that kind of money, I could come and go as I wish to many countries. Why tie up money in Thailand?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geisha said:

Not many will wish to invest any amount of money into Thailand, the country is in ruins ! Some expat pensioners maybe, rather like Benidorm or Malaga, a few million Baht (3/5) max would be my estimate. 

You obviously don't know the adage that the best time to invest is in a crisis. The opportunities in Thailand over the next year or two will be enormous as so many people have money to burn. 

If I would be a share holder I would repeat it the whole day. 

However what I'm concerned is the climate change and it's outcome for Thailand. 

Temperatures rising above 50 centigrades, hurricances, floodings. 

Who would like to live here in 10-20 years? Or even earlier? 

I'm gone at that time!