Too hot to handle -- Thailand among the global regions of hot concern

Jingthing

I've found this summer to be surprisingly bearable! Particularly at night, I'm cooling the room for 3-4 hours, then switching to fan, doors and windows closed, and it's been good till at least 8am. Perhaps it's the calm before the firestorm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

This is a global situation. Thailand is part of the globe. People deny that something big is really happening don't know people that live in California or Australia.

Climate change is fueling California fires, heat and smog - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

You believe the LA times and Huffpost? Amazing!

Anyway, I think you are taking a very principled stand giving up all forms of transport (no more cars or planes) or electricity (no aircon). You'll get very fit walking everywhere - bravo!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chosenfew said:

Just a bunch of climate change fear mongering. Actually, the weather has been quite pleasant here for the past few weeks.

Yep....as it usually does with the rains of the recent month[s]. 

You know this doesn’t need to be a debate about climate change. 

The focus of the article is actually about human biology and our response to high heat and humidity.

There was some surprising to me information there. 

Such as at a certain point fans don't help, they hurt.

Being near water doesn't necessarily help, it can hurt by increasing humidity. 

Adaptation tips.

When to consider the situation a heat emergency.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There was some surprising to me information there. 

It does sound interesting but I could not open the link w/o subscribing... I found the most important thing is keeping my body temperature down... once I overheat it is headache time... and tough to re-adjust..

As to fans  - - - sure, Lets Go Mets!

2 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

And Autumn is June, July, August, got it!

light rainy season... 

if you have kids in school - summer vacation is the hottest months - and that is March and April... 

you are not in Kansas anymore... 

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Irrelevant. 

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_417879

With the onset of winter’s cold each year we can look forward to the reliable appearance of Skepticana deniacus, an increasingly popular bird of prey that feeds on ignorance and fear. With the regularity of a finely tuned pendulum, as soon as the temperature hits freezing this annoying species of fowl cries out with indignation that global warming must be a farce. After all, how could the world be warming if snow is falling outside?

I'm not sure my post was taken in the spirit in which it was intended, but if it works for you guys, well, my work has not been in vain, just never lump me in with the billionaire moron Murdoch who disgraces us Scots with pictures of ice floes as he flew over Newfoundland tweeting a denial of global warming.

Reality: It's surprisingly cool in CM this summer, it's a physical fact, and I'm sorry if that disrupted your Guardian doom rhetoric even if you actually live in CM! All media deserves scepticism, that is not climate denial, it's taking a deep breath and counting to ten. Balance leads to lower BP. Love to you all from the quirky but lefty -and inclusive- curmudgeon, Chalawaan.

Edited by chalawaan

16 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

light rainy season... 

if you have kids in school - summer vacation is the hottest months - and that is March and April... 

you are not in Kansas anymore... 

Don't patronise me.

Edited by chalawaan
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, huangnon said:

I think they stopped selling the global "warming" story when temperatures stopped rising in 1998.

Since then it's all been "climate change" with CO2 emissions blamed as the agent creating "greenhouse" effects on our climate, despite accounting for about 1% of actual emissions (comprised of mostly water vapor) and being the gas of life required for plants, trees, vegetables, crops, and algae which produce our Oxygen. (You might need this).

We are being sold a hoax, based on alarmist distorted "science". And scare stories involving drowning Polar Bears, and ice caps melting, etc.

Anyone selling their beachfront property yet?

Thought not.

Just like the Pandemic is a hoax eh? (Its sarcasm Salerno!)

Edited by SunsetT
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Ive noticed a similar effect when riding a motorbike fast (clothed normally in shorts and T shirt) in Thailand when its really hot. When it reaches about 36C you actually arrive hotter than when you leave! The normally cooling wind resistance when riding faster actually makes you hotter!

Edited by SunsetT