Too hot to handle -- Thailand among the global regions of hot concern

Jingthing

1 hour ago, Denim said:

In those long gone days the women were not so hot either because they had haircuts like men and blacked out teeth to put of the Burmese invaders.

It was the Portugese who introduced tomatoes,chillis,papayas and the doggy position, which overcame the problem

Don't bag the old ways in LoS, until you hear me out. 

If you go to Portugal, the women there are still in "renaissance" mode.

No wonder the guys went exploring!

Nothings changed there in centuries sexually, IMO.

It has liberal and humane drug policy, incredible boy-food (think bigtime steaks, chips, eggs, and various permutations of same, plus seafood that still quivers it's so fresh) the climate, country, and laid back attitude make it as safe as a kitten wrapped in a bunny, there's good camaraderie among the local males who don't resent you, civility, and amazing near-free wine, and yet the women have all the sex-appeal and looks, of a freaking farm mule.

Gods cruel joke if you believe in that stuff.

• Haha 1

I know from my motorcycle trips that on some days air movement does not help cool you.  Hot, humid air hitting your body just makes you hotter, so the mesh jacket does not help - but I have a silver bike jacket with a reflective finish that does help.  So perhaps there something in the tinfoil hat method?

Heat stroke is no joke. I got it once in Northern Australia. Had to cross about half a kilometre of ground with no cover, sun was hot and started staggering about 100 metres from the treeline. That last 100 metres took me about 5 minutes to cross. I knew if i stopped i would die. December temperatures would reach 45 centigrade and 80% humidity.

I did one year in Thailand without air conditioning. Some nights in April were so hot i used to soak a towel in ice water and use it to cool off, the fan was not enough by itself. You can survive heat during the day, but if too hot at night you cannot sleep and you get exhausted. Two or more days and you are in trouble - that is what killed hundreds of thousands of bats in Australia last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing to see here folks.

If you thought this July was just toasty, you probably didn’t realize you were living through the hottest month in modern history. On Friday, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration declared July 2021 the world’s hottest month in 142 years of records.

“In this case, first place is the worst place to be,” NOAA Administrator Rick Spinrad said in a statement. 

NOAA declared July 2021 the hottest month on Earth ever - The Washington Post

From the OP article:

'At a certain threshold of heat and humidity, “it’s no longer possible to be able to sweat fast enough to prevent overheating,” said Radley Horton a professor at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory.'

BS. When doing hard physical work on hot days here producing sweat is no problem. The evaporation of the sweat is what cools the body but because of the high humidity here the sweat doesn't evaporate fast enough to cool down the body, the heat just builds up. I take frequent breaks, maybe every 15 minutes, and use a portable fan to force the sweat to evaporate cooling down then get back to work.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 2:53 PM, Chosenfew said:

Just a bunch of climate change fear mongering. Actually, the weather has been quite pleasant here for the past few weeks.

Agreed, very cool recently.

For a healthy person the heat of Thailand isn't much of a problem.

Get up earlier, do active stuff in the morning and evening, sit around in the middle of the day.

I hardly ever use air-con, and only sweat while exercising. 

Can't say I've noticed much in the way of temperature change in my life (denier alert).

It was cold and wet in the UK, and it's hot and sunny in Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo

On 7/29/2021 at 4:08 PM, Jingthing said:

This is a global situation. Thailand is part of the globe. People deny that something big is really happening don't know people that live in California or Australia.

Climate change is fueling California fires, heat and smog - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

When the Spanish first arrived in California (circa 1500) they called the place 'Bay of Smoke' because of the frequency and intensity of wildfires visible from the boats. As far as I can tell, nothing much has changed since then.

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/why-did-a-1542-spanish-voyage-refer-to-san-pedro-bay-as-the-bay-of-the-smoke

Edited by BritManToo

On 7/29/2021 at 5:50 PM, Jingthing said:

Such as at a certain point fans don't help, they hurt.

Being near water doesn't necessarily help, it can hurt by increasing humidity. 

Adaptation tips.

When to consider the situation a heat emergency.

I've never encountered any of this.