East vs west facing condo units (heat/sunlight difference?)

I went to see a condo today, the owner told me it was east facing when it was actually west facing, said he accidently 'forgot' as he has multiple units. 

was wondering how big of a difference does this make in terms of heat? that was a bit of a concern when I was looking at condos because of the thai weather being quite hot

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

Location, location...Always the same thing. Far from beach, which floor, studio or multiple bedrooms, corner unit....

In Thailand sun shines most of the time above your head, and when sun sets it happens fast. Of course east is better than west,

but how much. Thick curtains helps a lot, and if you have a balcony or two, You can set sun screeners front of your windows.

When wife and I lived Pattaya one year, we had a corner unit, two bedrooms and two balconies. 5th floor and about 400-500 meters to the beach.

Windows facing north and west. We moved in early July, and when we get used to heat and huminity, we didn't needed aircons much.

Even daytime we could open doors to balconies and feel nice breeze through our apartment.

Once rented one bedroom aparment from View Talay 6. Big balcony and windows facing south west, no problems with heat.

Once stayed at Atlantis Condo Resort Jomtien, one bedroom. Small balcony, windows facing north west (i think), aircon on alltime when inside.

All of those were mid floors apartments. Those are the ones we have stayed longer time.

Better to check what it feels like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dj230 said:

Thank you all for the replies, i'll probably pass and find a different unit, 

Our condo is extremely well managed, excellent facilities........with open views East, South and West.......BUT, would you believe it....... North looks straight onto the condo bedrooms next door about 30m away.......

15 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Get one north facing. You still get plenty of light but not the heat.

Yup, also possible to get an ocean view facing north.

One alternative, if getting direct sunlight, is to use one of those outdoor shades on your balcony to prevent the sun from hitting the window.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Shade/s?k=Outdoor+Shade

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, it can make a huge difference. Maybe arrange an inspection at 3-4 pm in the afternoon and see the effect from hours of direct tropical sun. At a minimum it probably means double the electricity bill, running air-con 6-8 hours a day, on top of normal usage. Makes any balcony unusable for 6-8 hours a day.

Right. West facing makes the walls or balcony like an oven in late afternoon. Mine's East facing, enough sun and usually a cool breeze.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, newnative said:

My partner and I always buy oceanview condos in Pattaya.  But, with experience, we would never buy another one facing west.  Just too hot and you can't use the balcony for too many hours--and we love to sit on the balcony.  As others have said, you can get an oceanview with north and south exposures.  Our current condo faces north and we have a nice sea and coast view.  I would avoid east and west, if possible. 

thanks, I am going to pass on this unit, I hate being too hot

4 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

My condo faces predominantly west (corner plot). That's where the balcony is. I have a beautiful view of Koh Larn island, 180° sea views. If I had an east view I'd be looking at buildings.

haha view is one thing ???? i guess west facing does give you a beautiful sunset every night

Edited by dj230
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Cunning Stunts said:

North is best.....East second, South or West is a tricky one.......South the sun is "high up"......probably go South then West last of all.

I have lived in 2 houses over the many years here in Thailand, north facing is too hot. The summer months the sun is relentless, sitting high in the north sky all day long.

I found east facing is a better option (the morning sun is pleasant), I would also prefer south facing (sun shines winter months only) over north facing.

My houses have backed onto another house so the rear of the house does not suffer from  the heat of sunshine.

• Like 1

A lot of input with regards to East/West and sun has been given already.

My personal additional consideration would be: do I really want to rent from a person that is trying to push a unit onto me by lying and then bull<deleted>ting when caught out.

Now, I might read to much into this situation as I was not there but my <deleted> detector went off reading your post.

Personally, I stay clear from such people as much as possible. Makes my life so much easier.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cunning Stunts said:

Our condo is extremely well managed, excellent facilities........with open views East, South and West.......BUT, would you believe it....... North looks straight onto the condo bedrooms next door about 30m away.......

Don't tell forum user @NCC1701A about your location. You might just get a new neighbor really quick ????????????

• Haha 1

I think the month also matters because of the angle of the sun.   I face the Gulf ant it was blazing hot  starting around 14:30 in January but now it is much different.  Some of the difference may have to do with clouds but I don't think clouds explains it.

55 minutes ago, VYCM said:

I have lived in 2 houses over the many years here in Thailand, north facing is too hot. The summer months the sun is relentless, sitting high in the north sky all day long.

I found east facing is a better option (the morning sun is pleasant), I would also prefer south facing (sun shines winter months only) over north facing.

My houses have backed onto another house so the rear of the house does not suffer from  the heat of sunshine.

You do know Thailand is on the Northern hemisphere?

30 minutes ago, Cunning Stunts said:

You do know Thailand is on the Northern hemisphere?

Yep........strange question!!! Please explain
Tomorrow, if its a sunny day, go outside between 9am and 3pm, look up into the northern sky, you will see the sun, the hot sun.
Where are you expecting the sun to be this time of year?
Cooler months the sun will shine from the South.

6 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Yep........strange question!!! Please explain
Tomorrow, if its a sunny day, go outside between 9am and 3pm, look up into the northern sky, you will see the sun, the hot sun.
Where are you expecting the sun to be this time of year?
Cooler months the sun will shine from the South.

The sun in the Northern hemisphere is always to the south?????

Where do you get the idea the sun is in the northern sky????

I think it also depends on the question if you are a morning or an evening/night person.

Personally I mostly wake up with the sun and I like it. Now I have 100% south view but I wouldn't mind east where the sun rises.

A good friend seldom likes to wake up before noon. I am sure he would hate a huge window to the east.

It's a question of personal taste.

Vro2PqU-TuJyut4NY-DfHfjZGWHda5CKAz2JOMYY

27 minutes ago, Cunning Stunts said:

The sun in the Northern hemisphere is always to the south?????

Where do you get the idea the sun is in the northern sky????

Do you live in Thailand?

Its in your interest to check tomorrow before you make another comment.

1 minute ago, VYCM said:

Do you live in Thailand?

Its in your interest to check tomorrow before you make another comment.

I give in.......you are either a wind up merchant.......or have a faulty compass.......or have absolutely no sense of direction?

We live in the northern hemisphere.......so the sun appears in the southern sky......

SOMEONE HELP ME.

If it helps to convince you I have been teaching advanced astrophysics for 25 years.

There are enough apps that will show you the exact sun position. Allways check yourself... In respect of a condo also check what kind of window glass is allowed. Perhaps you can install glass that keeps the heat out. 

23 hours ago, dj230 said:

Thank you all for the replies, i'll probably pass and find a different unit, 

Facing west is the worst, the afternoon sun is the hottest. The morning sun is milder.

Some people say facing north/south is the best but the sun does not always stay still.

The sun sometimes set in the southwest or northwest at during times of the year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

North facing, no outside wall/window getting the sun, and not top floor where your ceiling gets the sun.

The sun doesn't always set in the west. It sometimes set in the northwest for several months per year which will bring the sun in.

When the sun sets in the southwest, then you won't see the sun.

Edited by EricTh

On 7/30/2021 at 5:09 AM, Cunning Stunts said:

North is best.....East second, South or West is a tricky one.......South the sun is "high up"......probably go South then West last of all.

can confirm, saw a west facing unit yesterday, was super hot

saw north and south today, north was the coolest and south was 2nd hottest

North and south had no sun though but the west did

I think I'd go north or east now, thanks for the input

• Thanks 1

Lived in Chiangmai facing west with a beautiful view of Doi Suthep.  Afternoons would get a little warm but that’s what the air conditioner is for.  

Had a north and east facing corner unit in Bangkok.  Got too much sun in the morning and found that the morning sun was pretty much as hot as the evening sun.  Now have a north and west facing unit and am spending the same amount on electricity with a unit almost double the size of the north and east facing unit.  

I find that the most important part of the equation is not what direction you’re facing but rather the quality of the windows and to a lesser extent the color of the building (dark colors absorb heat).

I’d rather enjoy a sunset vs a sunrise myself.

592AD7F3-CDA4-47E4-BB62-AB21F7E36799.jpeg

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Had a north and east facing corner unit in Bangkok.  Got too much sun in the morning and found that the morning sun was pretty much as hot as the evening sun.  Now have a north and west facing unit and am spending the same amount on electricity with a unit almost double the size of the north and east facing unit.  

Of course, if you are rich and can afford powerful air-conditioners to blast all day, it doesn't matter which direction your windows face. 

But not all of us can afford a high electricity bill, so we choose the unit that is the coolest.

We usually get up before the morning sun turns hot after 11 am anyway.

I used to rent a condo that face west, the heat was unbearable in the afternoon and night-time.

So I decided to move to another rented condo facing the east on the same building, the afternoon and night-time were much cooler without switching the air-conditioner on.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1