East vs west facing condo units (heat/sunlight difference?)

9 hours ago, VYCM said:

I have lived in 2 houses over the many years here in Thailand, north facing is too hot. The summer months the sun is relentless, sitting high in the north sky all day long.

I found east facing is a better option (the morning sun is pleasant), I would also prefer south facing (sun shines winter months only) over north facing.

My houses have backed onto another house so the rear of the house does not suffer from  the heat of sunshine.

Coincidentally, my current house is facing south too. In winter, the sun facing the porch helps to dry my clothes or else it won't dry in December.

In the summer, even without direct sunlight, the heat itself is enough to dry my clothes at the porch.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Of course, if you are rich and can afford powerful air-conditioners to blast all day, it doesn't matter which direction your windows face. 

But not all of us can afford a high electricity bill, so we choose the unit that is the coolest.

I used to rent a condo that face west, the heat was unbearable in the afternoon and night-time. Then I moved to another rented condo facing the east on the same building, the afternoon and night-time were much cooler without switching the air-conditioner on.

But it’s not just about blasting the air conditioner all day.  I have found that the newer buildings (which are priced about the same as the older buildings (10 years old) have better, more efficient air conditioners (which cost less to run) and also are using the low-e windows which tend to keep the heat out.  I was expecting my electric bills to double as I also have a combination washer/dryer, dishwasher, double height ceilings with far more glass…but surprisingly, they didn’t.  In fact, my highest bill in my old unit was 30% more than my current unit and due to the difference in window quality, etc. it was more of a necessity to keep the air conditioner going all the time.

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

Of course, if you are rich and can afford powerful air-conditioners to blast all day, it doesn't matter which direction your windows face. 

But not all of us can afford a high electricity bill, so we choose the unit that is the coolest.

We usually get up before the morning sun turns hot after 11 am anyway.

I used to rent a condo that face west, the heat was unbearable in the afternoon and night-time.

So I decided to move to another rented condo facing the east on the same building, the afternoon and night-time were much cooler without switching the air-conditioner on.

i had my asq hotel room facing west and even with ac on 24/7 it was hot sometimes, which is what im worried about

whats the typical electric/water bill in a condo? 1k 2k 3k baht for 24/7 ac?

3 minutes ago, dj230 said:

i had my asq hotel room facing west and even with ac on 24/7 it was hot sometimes, which is what im worried about

I have a 40sqm south facing condo (gets winter sun, most hot in Dec, Jan), Bedroom on overnight, living room on 3-4 hours a day, set to 26 degrees.

1.500-2,000 baht a month. 

17 hours ago, Cunning Stunts said:

I give in.......you are either a wind up merchant.......or have a faulty compass.......or have absolutely no sense of direction?

We live in the northern hemisphere.......so the sun appears in the southern sky......

SOMEONE HELP ME.

If it helps to convince you I have been teaching advanced astrophysics for 25 years.

Oh dear, you're not getting any help.... I reckon you are the wind up merchant and have a faulty compass.

Thailand the sun only appears in the southern sky during the winter months.

Did you look outside, northerly, the sun is shining bright,

You should be looking at a new career, you're not doing well with this one......poor students.

My god, why are you wasting my time.

I asked you politely to look outside.

you need to get yourself educated

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dj230 said:

it really depends... Some condos charge the government tariff rate which is much cheaper whereas some condos charge a more expensive rate. I can't remember what the exact rate was.

You better check with condo mgmt which rate they charge, the government PEA rate or their own expensive rate first before buying.

13 minutes ago, EricTh said:

it really depends... Some condos charge the government tariff rate which is much cheaper whereas some condos charge a more expensive rate. I can't remember what the exact rate was.

You better check with condo mgmt which rate they charge, the government PEA rate or their own expensive rate first before buying.

As owner the condo management charges you their own rate for electricity? I know this from rented apartments but not for a condo that you own. 

13 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

As owner the condo management charges you their own rate for electricity? I know this from rented apartments but not for a condo that you own. 

No, it applies to all condos in that building whether rented or owned.

The committee members of that building must apply to the government for the government rate to be charged.

Then the electricity board will send you the electricity bill instead of the condo management.

Edited by EricTh

25 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If you own a condo the electricity supply and the bill comes from the PEA, nothing to do with condo office.

Landlords and agents add to tenant electricity bills not condo offices, as they dont issue the bill, pea does. Some condo offices may collect the rent on behalf of owners and add to the tenants bill

No matter what the circumstance, nothing is ever added to an owners PEA bill

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If you own a condo the electricity supply and the bill comes from the PEA, nothing to do with condo office.

Landlords and agents add to tenant electricity bills not condo offices, as they dont issue the bill, pea does. Some condo offices may collect the rent on behalf of owners and add to the tenants bill

No matter what the circumstance, nothing is ever added to an owners PEA bill

You're wrong. I used to rent two different condos at two different places where the condo mgmt send me the expensive electricity bill based on their own charge rate. 

Then I moved to another rented condo where the electricity board PEA send me the bills which is much cheaper.

Edited by EricTh

My condo is a whole floor and aligned 330/150 degrees and I have both east and west facing rooms. It would depend on your sleeping habits. If you sleep in late, then you're better off on the west side of the building. If you're an early rise, an East facing condo would be more suitable. You also have to consider surrounding geography. For example, I have a hill on the west side, so the sun disappears earlier, and a new high-rise built to the east, which cuts down on the direct sunlight on 2 sides, in the morning. Whatever you do, avoid the top floor, which would be like living in an oven. If you're near the beach, then west facing might always be better due to sea breezes.

Edited by JensenZ

20 minutes ago, EricTh said:

You're wrong. I used to rent two different condos at two different places where the condo mgmt send me the expensive electricity bill based on their own charge rate. 

Then I moved to another rented condo where the electricity board PEA send me the bills which is much cheaper.

Yes, you were the "tenant" and the condo office, acting as an agent, added money on top.

Any money on top applies "only" to tenants, and its added by the office acting as an agent, not the condo juristic.

An owner may arrange to have the PEA bill sent to the office, who then add on top and bills the tenant, then the office pays the PEA bill,

OWNERS are billed directly from PEA. The bill is paid at the PEA office, if its not paid PEA comes and disconnects you

If you owned a condo, you would realise what you are saying is wrong

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

I spend most of the day on the east side of my house.

Come 1-2 pm ,I have to shut the curtains on the west side of my house ! I also have semi dark tinted glass on the sliders  ,which makes a big difference.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, you were the "tenant" and the condo office, acting as an agent, added money on top.

Any money on top applies "only" to tenants, and its added by the office acting as an agent, not the condo juristic.

An owner may arrange to have the PEA bill sent to the office, who then add on top and bills the tenant, then the office pays the PEA bill,

OWNERS are billed directly from PEA. The bill is paid at the PEA office, if its not paid PEA comes and disconnects you

If you owned a condo, you would realise what you are saying is wrong

So they earned money from both the rent and utilities which they marked up? How greedy.

Edited by EricTh

10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

So they earned money from both the rent and utilities which they marked up? How greedy.

This is common practice here. Nothing special. It is greedy. But as long as the people are willing to pay the surcharge. And there are laws regulating this. But there seems to be not much law enforcement - as so often here. 

On 7/31/2021 at 3:06 AM, dj230 said:

thanks, I am going to pass on this unit, I hate being too hot

haha view is one thing ???? i guess west facing does give you a beautiful sunset every night

I'll let you know how long it takes me to get sick of this view ????

20170125_183044.jpg

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have found north facing to always be the coolest

Yes, its the coolest in the winter months because the sun is above the Southern hemisphere. 

Come summer the North facing will be very hot as the sun is in the northern hemisphere. 

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Pro tip: Buy a compass to use to gauge N S E W when visiting condos.

most smartphones have a compass built in  already just need to install one of the many  compass apps to ise it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

most smartphones have a compass built in  already just need to install one of the many  compass apps to ise it.

Does this use gps?

oddly not sure if anyone else experienced the same but the gps in Thailand is a bit inaccurate 

11 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Does this use gps?

oddly not sure if anyone else experienced the same but the gps in Thailand is a bit inaccurate 

Are you serious? There are a lot of apps showing you the exact position of the sun at your location even with a view of the real surrounding if you allow them to use the camera. Why not simply try one of them?! In respect of the GPS - there are also apps that will show you how accurate the reported position is. And depending on the logged satellites the position is normally very accurate. 

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Are you serious? There are a lot of apps showing you the exact position of the sun at your location even with a view of the real surrounding if you allow them to use the camera. Why not simply try one of them?! In respect of the GPS - there are also apps that will show you how accurate the reported position is. And depending on the logged satellites the position is normally very accurate. 

i havn't looked into sun location apps yet but ill check them out 

interesting, whenever I order from delivery apps or taxi's the location is usually always wrong via GPS, i have to enter the address manually

Edited by dj230