Problem with spell checking and the dictionary (on Chrome browser / On Mac)

WaveHunter

Can anyone help me resolve this issue.  Spellchecker and the dictionary are not working well at all lately.  I'm not sure if it is Google Chrome or my Mac System preferences, or perhaps the Asean Now webiste.  All I know for certain is I started noticing the problem when ThaiVisa became Asean Now.

One thing I'm curious about is that I have gone into Google Chrome preferences several times and changed the spell checker to "enhanced" but then later when I come back to to check preferences, it has reverted back to "basic".  Any idea why this is happening?136839698_ScreenShot2021-07-30at2_04_41PM.jpg.c9474593d9f733f52ee62a0558995c9f.jpg

Often it will not highlight obviously mis-spelled words, and when it does indicate a mis-spelled word, right clicking on it will reveal no correctly spelled words.

On my Mac (Catalina OS) I have checked keyboard spell check settings and the dictionary app preferences.

Googling has revealed no answers, so, I am out of options ????

Has anyone else been having spell-check issues?  I just can't seem to get a handle on this annoying problem, so any help would be appreicated

1 minute ago, mikebike said:

Have you tried to uninstall chrome, then install a clean version? Do you have the same issue if you use Safari? Or in ANY other program?

Seems to work fine on all programs (including Safari).  Works fine in Chrome as long as "enhanced spell stays checked) but that advanced setting keep changing all by itself back to basic if I close and reopen Chrome.

I guess I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome, but in all the years I've used Chrome I've never had to resort to that...oh well.

13 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

One thing I'm curious about is that I have gone into Google Chrome preferences several times and changed the spell checker to "enhanced" but then later when I come back to to check preferences, it has reverted back to "basic".

I have had the same problem with Chrome on windows. But not for few days now. Maybe it was a update for Chrome that made it go bad and then a new one fixed it. Check that Chrome is up to date.

I would also get a popup message asking if I wanted to turn enhanced spell check.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be nice if Grammarly worked here, as it does on other sites for me.

For the most part, Chrome spell-check identifies misspelled words (note that a misspelled word could be another word spelled correctly, Chrome spell-check can't read my mind) with the red underline, and a right-click offers up options.

Extensions in the Chrome store, haven't tried any yet

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/spell checker?hl=en

They all kind of suck.

Edited by mtls2005

56 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Have you tried to uninstall chrome, then install a clean version? Do you have the same issue if you use Safari? Or in ANY other program?

Thanks for the suggestion; uninstalling and reinstalling a fresh version seems to have fixed the issue with spell checker reverting to the "basic" setting and now stays on enhanced even when closing down and reopening chrome.  And, spell checker is again working like a charm ????

Isn't it funny how sometimes the simplest fix is the one that works, and the one you usually overlook LOL!

Asean Now members are always such a good resource for help when you need it!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have had the same problem with Chrome on windows. But not for few days now. Maybe it was a update for Chrome that made it go bad and then a new one fixed it. Check that Chrome is up to date.

I would also get a popup message asking if I wanted to turn enhanced spell check.

Hey UbonJoe,

I just took suggestion from the @mikebike  and uninstalled /reinstalled a fresh version of Chrome and all issues are now resolved.

Perhaps you are right and they just released a new version that fixed the problem but I was always under the impression that Chrome automatically installed new versions.

Regardless, if you have any more issues yourself, just uninstall and reinstall fresh version.  It works like a charm now ????

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Be nice if Grammarly worked here, as it does on other sites for me.

For the most part, Chrome spell-check identifies misspelled words (note that a misspelled word could be another word spelled correctly, Chrome spell-check can't read my mind) with the red underline, and a right-click offers up options.

Extensions in the Chrome store, haven't tried any yet

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/spell checker?hl=en

They all kind of suck.

Normally I've always found "enhanced" Google spell check in Chrome to work quite well.  That's why I was surprised when it started freaking out on me.  A simple uninstall and reinstall of a fresh version has fixed the problem, I'm happy to say ????

29 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Perhaps you are right and they just released a new version that fixed the problem but I was always under the impression that Chrome automatically installed new versions.

They do but a few times when I have checked it in settings (About Chrome) on Chrome it installed a update.

• 10 months later...
3 minutes ago, merijn said:

Can somebody explain where i can enable the spelling checker as i don't have a option at all to do a spell check. (i'm using latest version of chrome)

Do a websearch for "Spell checker on chrome" and it will tell you how to do it 

I did a awebsearch and found this 

Enable Spell Check
  1. Open the Chrome browser.
  2. Click the 3 dots in the top right corner to go to the Chrome menu.
  3. Click Settings.
  4. On the left side, click the arrow to the right of Advanced.
  5. Click Languages. Enable Spell check by clicking the toggle. Choose Basic spell check or Enhanced spell check.
  • Thanks 1