Breaking down barriers to Covid-19 vaccination: Advice from a psychiatrist

webfact

vaccine-hesitant-_web.jpg

(Photo by Lillian SUWANRUMPHA / AFP)

The coronavirus pandemic continues to wreak havoc across many parts of the world including Thailand. The highly transmissible Delta variant of the novel coronavirus is spreading quickly, resulting in a surge of infection and hospitalization rates since the Songkran Festival.

Medical experts say vaccine-induced herd immunity – when enough people are immune, the virus will find it difficult to spread – is the best way to end the pandemic. Some scientists estimate that 70-75 percent of the population must acquire resistance to the coronavirus to banish it, though some experts in the US and UK have upped that figure to 90 percent in light of the Delta mutation.

However, Thailand is far from even 70 percent. According to statistics from the Department of Disease Control, as of July 30, more than 3.78 million Thai people or about 5.4 percent of the total population are fully vaccinated.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/breaking-down-barriers-to-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-a-psychiatrist/

Logo-top-.png

There are 2 kinds of anti-vaxers. The local variety can probably be helped with good & clear information.

The international breed however - mostly, I think, Usofan in origin but spreading throughout The West - are like racists & homophobes. Their views are emotionally-based. They did not get that way from lack of information or bad arguments. Better information & argument will not change their views.

You have to change their emotions. Which is hard to do. Fear & self-interest (eg no crossing borders, no public transport of any kind, no entry to department stores ... ) may well work in the present case.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would say the opposite.

You are driven by fear of COVID .......

I don't have any fear of a disease that only kills 0.3% of the old and sick.

The IFR for over 60's is close to 1 in 50............not good odds. The 0.3% is probably a CMR....very misleading.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Had COVID age 63, less effect on me (1 day mild fever) than it did on my 35yo misses (10 days serous fever) and my 8yo son (3 days mid fever). Our 21 yo daughter didn't have any symptoms at all.

Apart from the lingering cough I've had worse colds.

Its quite likely that all you DID have was just a cold and that you didnt have Covid at all ?

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Had COVID age 63, less effect on me (1 day mild fever) than it did on my 35yo misses (10 days serous fever) and my 8yo son (3 days mid fever). Our 21 yo daughter didn't have any symptoms at all.

Apart from the lingering cough I've had worse colds.

Happy to hear you survived and didn't suffer much and have recovered so well........but, without wishing to sound rude......totally irrelevant.

• Sad 2

Just now, Cunning Stunts said:

Happy to hear you survived and didn't suffer much and have recovered so well........but, without wishing to sound rude......totally irrelevant.

All that is relevant to me, is me and my family.

Don't give a damn if you and the rest of the world dies in agony, as long as I don't need to hear the screams.

• Haha 1

There have been so many half-truths, officially twisted facts and outright lies said about this virus that one doesn’t need to be a conspiracy nut to not be very eager to get vaccinated. Starting with fake videos of people in China dropping dead, these original lies had to be covered with more lies and this knot of lies has kept growing. The way out is the same door as the way in - admit wrongs and lies. Half or more of the population may be stupid, complacent with anything and don’t ask questions. The other not insignificant share does not like the fact that propaganda does not match reality. No surprise that they do not rush to get jabbed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

That is a rubbish statistic.... you do people a disservice repeating it.

It is killing about 0.8% of those infected in Thailand and between 1-2% for the rest of the world, with as high as 9% reported for Peru... Those numbers do not focus on the elderly and infirmed which would certainly be higher. 

Try this resource...

https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid?country=THA~GBR~USA

The rubbish statistics is one that lists DETECTED infections as ALL covid infections that have existed. Huge numbers of people do not get tested because they have very mild symptoms or none at all. Why would they run to get tested if they’d had worse flu and cold before. It makes no sense to rush to a hospital at all if they feel alright. That statistics of infections is not worth toilet paper it is not printed on. An example of propaganda machine in action and so many people keep falling for it and keep citing these bs figures.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

The rubbish statistics is one that lists DETECTED infections as ALL covid infections that have existed. Huge numbers of people do not get tested because they have very mild symptoms or none at all. Why would they run to get tested if they’d had worse flu and cold before. It makes no sense to rush to a hospital at all if they feel alright. That statistics of infections is not worth toilet paper it is not printed on. An example of propaganda machine in action and so many people keep falling for it and keep citing these bs figures.

So you claim there is no Coved pandemic... right!

• Sad 1

So you claim there is no Coved pandemic... right!

Perfect example of twisting facts. I claim the mortality rate is many times less than the bs figures make you believe. Mortality rate = deaths/infections. According to a number of tests for antibodies half of the world have already had covid and successfully recovered all by themselves. But this does not fit with the official narrative where you are supposed to be scared and run for your life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

Perfect example of twisting facts. I claim the mortality rate is many times less than the bs figures make you believe. Mortality rate = deaths/infections. According to a number of tests for antibodies half of the world have already had covid and successfully recovered all by themselves. But this does not fit with the official narrative where you are supposed to be scared and run for your life.

In Peru, a worst case scenario, the number of Covid deaths per capita is about 0.58%,  for the UK 0.2%... Mortality rate is presumably substantially higher than those numbers then. (Source)

Perfect example you make of unsupported numbers... So in your world, half the global population, 4 billion people, have been tested for Covid antibodies!

In Peru, a worst case scenario, the number of Covid deaths per capita is about 0.58%,  for the UK 0.2%... Mortality rate is presumably substantially higher than those numbers then. (Source)

Perfect example you make of unsupported numbers... So in your world, half the global population, 4 billion people, have been tested for Covid antibodies!

There is no need to test 4 billion people. They test a sample group of several thousand people and find that half already have antibodies. They had received no vaccinations, their bodies had successfully met and defeated the live actual virus. They started running these tests in winter, not in one country, and had similar results.

• Like 1

Today's Nouvel Obs says that over 8 out of 10 people hospitalized in France with the plague are non-vaccinated.

And in the period June-to-midJuly 78% of those who died in France with the plague were non-vaccinated.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

All that is relevant to me, is me and my family.

Don't give a damn if you and the rest of the world dies in agony, as long as I don't need to hear the screams.

I hate to sound melodramatic but I am currently lying immobile in a hospital bed having had half my right foot cut away in a ( successful it seems) attempt to defeat sepcis. I have a massive open wound on the top of my foot, the tendons are exposed for mote than 6 inches. Wound dressing time is 9o'clock. It is <deleted> agony for me and the three or four others with similar traumatic surgical wounds. If you heard our screams ( there is a limit to the amount of morphine they can give us); If you had to suffer it, or listen to grown men crying as I have for the last week you wouldn't be so <deleted> flippant sunshine!

Back to the topic, perhaps the greatest barrier to vaccination is that they don't have the vaccines!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

There is no need to test 4 billion people. They test a sample group of several thousand people and find that half already have antibodies. They had received no vaccinations, their bodies had successfully met and defeated the live actual virus. They started running these tests in winter, not in one country, and had similar results.

Several thousand... we are discussing millions here, 4 million deaths. A small sample 'several thousand'... obviously you don't know how many, is too small to be statistically significant. I would also want to know whether any of these sampled people were previously tested and at what phase of the pandemic. You are only making a claim that 50% have had asymptomatic infections, we know already it is more than that.

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Several thousand... we are discussing millions here, 4 million deaths. A small sample 'several thousand'... obviously you don't know how many, is too small to be statistically significant. I would also want to know whether any of these sampled people were previously tested and at what phase of the pandemic. You are only making a claim that 50% have asymptomatic infections, we know already it is more than that.

You seem to be having trouble reading my posts. I say half the world have already had covid, based on antibody studies in sample groups, not half of infections are asymptomatic. A world of difference. The number of asymptomatic and mild symptoms infections is likely higher than 95%, most younger people will have nothing more than sniffles.

3 minutes ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

You seem to be having trouble reading my posts. I say half the world have already had covid,

And I say half the world has not been tested so that is an unsupported claim.

20 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I hate to sound melodramatic but I am currently lying immobile in a hospital bed having had half my right foot cut away in a ( successful it seems) attempt to defeat sepcis. I have a massive open wound on the top of my foot, the tendons are exposed for mote than 6 inches. Wound dressing time is 9o'clock. It is <deleted> agony for me and the three or four others with similar traumatic surgical wounds. If you heard our screams ( there is a limit to the amount of morphine they can give us); If you had to suffer it, or listen to grown men crying as I have for the last week you wouldn't be so <deleted> flippant sunshine!

Back to the topic, perhaps the greatest barrier to vaccination is that they don't have the vaccines!

Would point out Sepsis is a complete body reaction where your organs rot from the inside out. 40% of victims die immediately, the survival rate for the other 60% is short, often with severe mental impairment.

What you describe doesn't sound like sepsis, maybe necrotizing fasciitis? (which can lead to sepsis)

But whatever you have, get well soon!

Edited by BritManToo

19 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Holy..........      Fingers crossed for you........

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And I say half the world has not been tested so that is an unsupported claim.

And it won’t be tested because it goes against the vaccination propaganda. I am not against vaccination but give a fair chance and equal status to those who had already acquired antibodies naturally. This is what is irritating. In all the vaccination history of the last hundred years naturally acquired immunity equals immunity from vaccination. They are trying to change that with covid. People are reluctant to trust them. Now, make that status equal and there will be far less criticism of vaccination efforts.

• Like 1