China poised for Thailand’s solar move

webfact

ch.jpg

Chinese companies are heavily involved in both the manufacture of solar panels and building of solar power stations in Thailand (Image: Alamy)

With its factories and investments in Thailand, China will be increasingly important to the Southeast Asian nation’s transition from fossil fuels

Tyler Roney

In March, Thailand announced it will draft a master plan to reach net zero carbon emissions.

Though it has not set a date for net zero, that deadline will proably be announced in November at the COP26 UN climate talks. According to energy secretary Kulit Sombasiri, talking to the Bangkok Post, it is expected to be similar to the US and the EU, which have committed to 2050.

Thailand is in the midst of a policy shift toward solar projects. China’s foothold in producing solar panels in Thailand, as well as investing in and building solar power stations there, will be essential if the country is to continue to move away from fossil fuels with sufficient speed.

Full story: https://chinadialogue.net/en/energy/china-poised-for-thailands-solar-move/

d.jpg

-- © Copyright China Dialogue 2021-07-31

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thailand aspires higher than all other nations.... and achieves much less than most. I think this aspirational inflation is bad for the country. Maybe the fact they can't achieve simpler, realistic goals makes them want to toss out far fetched ones that'll never be realized instead?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thailand is China's little brother to be exploited and bullied.  Having colonised lots of Africa and Cambodia, Thailand is next up. 

Oh, it’s much much bigger than just Thailand - I can assure you. 

Zero emission? the average solar panel stil has 0.06 kg CO2 emission. with this you have to do the math according to the standards to caclulate LCA.

Besides that when you have no sun you also have no energy generation and for as far as I know that is during the night. as well the energy generation is not stable due to weather condition as well the angel of the sun and it distance to earth. due to that this also has impact on the weather with the seasons winter, spring, summer and autumn.

stil need energy from other sources and since the energy of wind, and sun fluctuates you see the many countries still need between the 50 to 80% other sources of energy generation which is is most cases the current way.

and when you need enrergy you still need to have the grey energy plants to supply the energy needed. 

also yo udo need to invest in the grid to cope with the fluctuations.

the alternatives Fusion is yet not commercial, expect to be 2025 the first plant in the UK, nor the Chinses Salt based nuclear reaction plant that is now under construction and is expected to be operational in 2030.

end of life of solar panels and plant still a huge problem and do not forget when burn you have small sharp solar particles all around in the area and even seen up to 5000 meters far away as seen in the west with some solar panel fires recently..  

Edited by Autonuaq

10 minutes ago, Autonuaq said:

Zero emission? the average solar panel stil has 0.06 kg CO2 emission. with this you have to do the math according to the standards to caclulate LCA.

Besides that when you have no sun you also have no energy generation and for as far as I know that is during the night. as well the energy generation is not stable due to weather condition as well the angel of the sun and it distance to earth. due to that this also has impact on the weather with the seasons winter, spring, summer and autumn.

stil need energy from other sources and since the energy of wind, and sun fluctuates you see the many countries still need between the 50 to 80% other sources of energy generation which is is most cases the current way.

and when you need enrergy you still need to have the grey energy plants to supply the energy needed. 

also yo udo need to invest in the grid to cope with the fluctuations.

the alternatives Fusion is yet not commercial, expect to be 2025 the first plant in the UK, nor the Chinses Salt based nuclear reaction plant that is now under construction and is expected to be operational in 2030.

end of life of solar panels and plant still a huge problem and do not forget when burn you have small sharp solar particles all around in the area and even seen up to 5000 meters far away as seen in the west with some solar panel fires recently..  

Accounting for the amount of CO2 produced during solar panel manufacturing, solar panels generate, in effect, around 50g of CO2 per kilowatt hour during their initial years of operation. This is about 20 times less than the carbon output of coal-powered electricity sources.

https://gvecsolarservice.com/how-clean-is-the-solar-panel-manufacturing-process-how-much-carbon-dioxide-is-produced/

A 6.6kw solar system will produce around 10,600 kwh a year which will save around 10.6 tonnes of CO2 emissions per year. ... Taking into account the two years to pay off the embedded energy in the panel, after 25 years a 6.6kw system will have a net saving of around 243 tonnes of CO2.

https://www.lgenergy.com.au/faq/buying-a-solar-system/is-solar-power-truly-co2-free

Perhaps you should check on the advances made in batteries for storing electricity.   

21 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

zero carbon emission..... When I drive on the road I see everyday at least 5 or 6 vehicles with a lot of black smoke....They even can't control this, how than to control zero????

True, the bottom line is there is no real strong desire/push to eliminate the black smoke belchers. 

I can't count how many time the authorities have conducted campaigns in Bkk, stoppping vehicles and measuring their black smoke emissions levels. 

The result?

No improvement. 

18 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I'm confused. Does this article refer to Thailand's  plan to send a man to the sun in a solar powered submarine?

Yes.  The Thais know the sun is very hot during the day so they're landing at night.

• Haha 2

On 7/31/2021 at 1:36 AM, ikke1959 said:

zero carbon emission..... When I drive on the road I see everyday at least 5 or 6 vehicles with a lot of black smoke....They even can't control this, how than to control zero????

Give it time. Once the people in authority see the light and the opportunities, they will spring into action to get the "incidentals" organised and everything will move forward quickly.