Fake or real Dewalt?

ExpatOilWorker

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

How does Makita compare to Dewalt?

About same spec and price?

Mikita seems to have an edge, though both are almost certainly made in China, Makita being Japanese is more likely to have better quality control (closer in language <writing> and culture) and fewer been counters in charge as opposed to DeWalt being of US origin where money is the most important function of many companies.

This is just my opinion, I have an old, 50 years, DeWalt planer thicknesser my new tools are Festool, Makita, & Maktec. Others will have different opinions.

The video under is a comparison of impact drivers but I felt that it is probably a reflection of drills as well 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Mikita seems to have an edge, though both are almost certainly made in China, Makita being Japanese is more likely to have better quality control (closer in language <writing> and culture) and fewer been counters in charge as opposed to DeWalt being of US origin where money is the most important function of many companies.

AFAIK Country of manufacture (For Makita) is determined by which market it will be sold into.

My Makita purchased from the USA is made in Japan. the Makita stuff sold here in Thailand is made in China.

Only GENUINE tools, genuine water pumps sold on this Lazada storefront. They really ship 7 days a week. If you order by 2pm they ship the very same day. 

Ruangsangthai

5647 Followers

99% Positive Seller Ratings     You can chat in advance with native English speakers at Ruangsangthai. Mr. Les is a native of London. Mr. Moses a native of Los Angeles. They have a Thai woman, Miss Daw,  who is fluent in German who can chat or you can chat on Lazada or phone direct. No need to buy fake tools in Thailand. There are several great tool sellers on Lazada that have been mentioned in this thread. Buy from a Thailand based seller who will help you with spare parts, will help you with warranty repairs should the tool be defective, or help you with parts when a tool breaks due to wear and tear. Northing lasts forever in Thailand. You can avoid the "runaround" and "excuses" I sometimes get at some big box retailers in Buriram.

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/ruangsangthai/

Moses and Miss Daw Songkran 2020.jpg

Honda Power Products Lawn Mower Brush Cutter genuine parts Thailand.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 9:20 PM, kamalabob2 said:

The OP is going to get plenty of "break time" if he buys a drill in 2021 with an 18 volt 2.0 ah battery. 

So far no battery breaks and the 2 Ah battery packs an amazing punch.

It made this 80 mm hole with ease.

The grinder is a bit more power hungry, but then the second battery pack comes in handy.

20210829_075341.jpg

20210829_075207.jpg

9 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

a short-term cost-saving the west will come to lament,

Yes closed most manufacturing in the west because the Chinese with their billion worker drones would work for a pittance  and make the companies more money..now we see it's not such a good idea to rely on one country for "everything"

• 3 months later...

A good way to tell is to check the locking nut on the tools offered. - cheap fakes will have non-standard keys as I've just found out. as I bought the 7V version of this cordless drill on Lazada a few years back.  Good for the money....but obviously a throw away price!  Lazada is owned by Jack Ma and Shopee by one of his acolytes in Singapore. When Covid hit in 2020 the market for fakes in China dried up, about 4000 businesses in the fake phone market suddenly had a big problem that China seems to have decided to leave to the global market to rectify. Both these companies are fronts for the Chinese desperado dumping fakes in third world countries. What works for me is to use the Lazada price to get the max discount available from the local Builders Warehouse - paying about 500 p more with a 9% discount is good insurance that your getting a branded product. But for the cheap run of the mill stuff Lazada and Shopee are worth a punt.

I've toured the Makita Power Tools assembly plant on two different tours in Thailand. There are 10 Makita assembly plants in the entire world. Every Makita tool is tested when it comes off the line. MT is the new branding of Maktec. When I last toured the Makita plant in Thailand, Makita tools would be on one assembly pod and Maktec on a different pod. Same engineers, same factory staff, but less robust components in Maktec. I can only assume the same now applies to MT series by Makita. There are NOT mystery non branded tools made in the Makita plants. Makita tools are only made in 10 plants in the world including Japan, China, Thailand., Germany. Mexico, Romania, Dubai, United Kingdom, Brazil and the United States. I've seen Makita tools on sale in Thailand made in Thailand,. China, Japan and Germany. Only a certain number of tool models are made in each assembly plant. 

On 12/13/2021 at 5:02 PM, kamalabob2 said:

I've toured the Makita Power Tools assembly plant on two different tours in Thailand. There are 10 Makita assembly plants in the entire world. Every Makita tool is tested when it comes off the line. MT is the new branding of Maktec. When I last toured the Makita plant in Thailand, Makita tools would be on one assembly pod and Maktec on a different pod. Same engineers, same factory staff, but less robust components in Maktec. I can only assume the same now applies to MT series by Makita. There are NOT mystery non branded tools made in the Makita plants. Makita tools are only made in 10 plants in the world including Japan, China, Thailand., Germany. Mexico, Romania, Dubai, United Kingdom, Brazil and the United States. I've seen Makita tools on sale in Thailand made in Thailand,. China, Japan and Germany. Only a certain number of tool models are made in each assembly plant. 

I need to remember that one for the next pub quiz.

My DeWalt plug-in drill cost an arm and a leg from HomePro years ago when alternatives with hammer were slim.

Like the DeWalt reciprocating saw I bought a few years later, it's genuine and still going strong.

I needed to get into battery-powered world but it's a proper minefield out there now with all these fake battery power tools. I dropped by Lidl in the UK a couple of months back and grabbed me this kit before they sold out.