Thai Airway direct Phuket to London flight

Agusts

I noticed this fights TG916 recently, has this been going for a while (in July) or a new service starting this month....?

I want to know if it's a sure, regular thing, or they put it on to see if they get passengers, and if not, cancel the service....!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The flight they added on is for the Phuket sandbox. Until the sandbox ends it is a regular flight.

Ok, I guess they said they keep the sandbox for another 2 weeks - under observation, and then decide what to do ...., so this flight will go till then.

I'm assuming I can just buy a one-way back to London, on their website it allows me to buy, but I was looking at 3 weeks or so, that's a long time in Covid period, will see how it goes....? 

I would only use Thai Airways if it was C.O.D..

Many complaints of canceled flights and long or no refunds.

Even before this there planes interiors were outdated and service overrated.

EVA Air or Cathay Pacific.

Premium economy, excellent.

Also there is no backseat entertainment as they haven't paid that bill.

@MrJ2U - EVA Air or Cathay Pacific do not fly direct from Phuket to London, which is the subject matter of this thread.

To return to England the only viable options at present are Thai (which is with a stopover in Bangkok on the return flight to London) or Singapore via Changi - any other international flights are with stopovers in an UAE country which are "red" and mean an hotel quarantine on return to London.

Edited by London Lowf
To make it better!
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

TG916/917 is a BKK-LHR-BKK flight (and was pre-covid) which looks to have started serving Phuket too on Fridays (returning on Saturday).  The one last week was the first time to Phuket, although it looks to be planned weekly for at least the next 3 months.

3 hours ago, London Lowf said:

@MrJ2U - EVA Air or Cathay Pacific do not fly direct from Phuket to London, which is the subject matter of this thread.

To return to England the only viable options at present are Thai (which is with a stopover in Bangkok on the return flight to London) or Singapore via Changi - any other international flights are with stopovers in an UAE country which are "red" and mean an hotel quarantine on return to London.

Oh well,

The other 99,0% of  my post is in direct response to the thread.

Thai Airways isnt recommended was the jist.

Your likely to lose your money booking any flights with them when they cancel.

Skyscanner is a handy app for flight information.

Edited by MrJ2U

On 8/1/2021 at 9:45 AM, KarenBravo said:

You could call Thai International and ask?

Not possible in UK............................... Tried that over the last 15 months. It now states online that the lines are suspended and you have to email....Replies forthcoming after several weeks or hours, mostly the former........................................................and on another note, some of the BKK to Heathrow flights are now being rerouted back via Phuket. Adding approx 4 hours to your journey time.........not a sniff of compensation for the inconvenience..!!

I was wondering if this flight actually goes through BKK then to LHR ...! But it seems it's direct, non-stop , from this HKT to LHR leg at least...

I can also see local domestic flights to/from BKK and other cities are going again, I think there was a 2 weeks stop on that...

As for Thai Airline shortcomings, no doubt, my last choice in normal time, but the non-stop feature is the attractive part, in Covid times, it's a good idea to avoid all the hassle, and it's just a one way back trip, other times I would look at other options...

As for cancelling the flight, sure it's very probable, Sandbox can be switched off any time, but I'm hoping I can get a credit (not refund) , and can re-book BKK to LHR route and can use that as domestic flights are back on now.... (Singapore and Eva are other viable options for now).

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

I was wondering if this flight actually goes through BKK then to LHR ...! But it seems it's direct, non-stop , from this HKT to LHR leg at least...

It goes from BKK-HKT-LHR on a Friday only.  The return is on a Saturday and goes LHR-HKT-BKK.

• Thanks 2

I read some conflicting reports that domestic flights, for example from Phuket to BKK, are not going...! Like Nok Air asking for permission to fly , or buses set up specially to take tourists to BKK, etc....

But looking at BKK Airport Arrivals page there are many flights arriving from various cities like Chiang Mai, Udon, Samui, and Phuket, by Thai VietJet and Thai Smile (code share Thai Airways) , also some Bangkok Airways...!?

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures/

So is that ban only on DonMuang airport, or planes flying empty or what's going on .... ? 

33 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I read some conflicting reports that domestic flights, for example from Phuket to BKK, are not going...! Like Nok Air asking for permission to fly , or buses set up specially to take tourists to BKK, etc....

But looking at BKK Airport Arrivals page there are many flights arriving from various cities like Chiang Mai, Udon, Samui, and Phuket, by Thai VietJet and Thai Smile (code share Thai Airways) , also some Bangkok Airways...!?

So is that ban only on DonMuang airport, or planes flying empty or what's going on .... ? 

I think those arrivals are not correct.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

I think those arrivals are not correct.

Yes, I suspect they just use the old schedule or something on the website, very confusing...., or could the planes flying without passengers...!!!? 

I think there is a live flight tracker showing exact location of planes, I see if I can check on that.... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Agusts said:

If flights are arriving from CM , then they arent leaving from CM

https://www.chiangmaiairportonline.com/flight-status-departures/

Nok Air did try to be innovative by flying in and out of U Tapoa but now Rayong is deep red that has been canned. Apart from Phuket to Samui there are no domestic flights that I can see.

As mentioned by #Treetops there is one Thai Airways direct to LHR departing Friday.

Speculation on my part but so much 'face' has been invested in the sandbox scheme that the powers that be will be very reluctant to cancel this flight. I admit that in itself that is not overly reassuring. (A mate of mine was on the LHR to HKT 10 days ago and said it was fine)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Agusts said:

The flights are still on the list, but are listed as canceled.

Today UK announced that from 8 Aug the UAE, Qatar and Bahrain are going to move from Red country list to Orange list, that means we can fly from Phuket via those Gulf states to London....

This gives more options now, cheaper flights and better planes, also a 2 x 7 hours trip rather than a 13.5 long haul....

Although getting off and on in another airport gives more chance of catching Covid - I had one AZ vaccine though...! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

Today UK announced that from 8 Aug the UAE, Qatar and Bahrain are going to move from Red country list to Orange list, that means we can fly from Phuket via those Gulf states to London....

This gives more options now, cheaper flights and better planes, also a 2 x 7 hours trip rather than a 13.5 long haul....

Although getting off and on in another airport gives more chance of catching Covid - I had one AZ vaccine though...! 

You feel safe with 1 shot of AZ when fully vaccinated people are still catching the virus?  At this moment, I won't be going anywhere in a plane even when I am fully vaccinated.

@Agusts "....also a 2 x 7 hours trip rather than a 13.5 long haul...."

My direct Thai Airways LHR>HKT flight is 11:40 hours - but I do have to make the usual BKK stop on the way home.

I was originally booked with Qatar but cancelled (and have now been refunded) when they changed the flight times to give a 5+ hours layover in Doha. No thanks!

Edited by London Lowf
To make it better!

4 hours ago, London Lowf said:

@Agusts "....also a 2 x 7 hours trip rather than a 13.5 long haul...."

My direct Thai Airways LHR>HKT flight is 11:40 hours - but I do have to make the usual BKK stop on the way home.

I was originally booked with Qatar but cancelled (and have now been refunded) when they changed the flight times to give a 5+ hours layover in Doha. No thanks!

The time difference is due to Jetstream, going west is already slower than going east on long haul flights , I had seen that on many flights... 

10 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

You feel safe with 1 shot of AZ when fully vaccinated people are still catching the virus?  At this moment, I won't be going anywhere in a plane even when I am fully vaccinated.

I'm not worried at all, with any vaccine, even one shot, "" most""  people can catch Covid but will have mild symptoms - I'm amazed they're are still guys who don't know this, it's been mentioned a million times on just about any news or report about the vaccine....! 

Then you may also know that 80% of people catch Covid, with no vaccine at all, have mild or normal cold/flu symptoms and recover without needing any special treatment...., so add vaccine and that percentage will increase substantially....

So relax, people with certain pre-conditions,  or very old, are of course more vulnerable, but the rest are not so much... , however, we need to protect them, hence all these precautions... 

(I thought most people know all this by now...!!!)

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 6:22 AM, MrJ2U said:

I would only use Thai Airways if it was C.O.D..

Many complaints of canceled flights and long or no refunds.

Even before this there planes interiors were outdated and service overrated.

EVA Air or Cathay Pacific.

Premium economy, excellent.

Also there is no backseat entertainment as they haven't paid that bill.

You need to fly directly into Phuket to do the sandbox thing.  So it's not as straight forward as just finding a flight to Thailand.

Edited by shdmn

10 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

There is a difference between catching the virus and getting so sick you need to go to the hospital.  The vast majority of vaccinated people, even with just one SinoVac shot, are not getting severely sick. 

I wish countries would talk less about numbers of new cases and more about hospitalizations because a lot of people seem to be confused by the distinction.  All the lockdowns and restrictions are (supposedly) about keeping hospitalizations down and nothing else.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 11:35 PM, KhaoYai said:

I believe KLM will be running flights into Phuket from October - probably much cheaper than TG and your money will be safer.

Yes when any changes in your program either to changing Covid rules or any other reason they refund instantly.

Or you can change your flight, no hassle and no questions.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Or you can change your flight, no hassle and no questions.

Not quite. It took me 3.5 days to change my wife's KLM flight - which can be problematic when you have to book Covid tests etc.. They don't answer the phone at the moment, it rings 4 times, says they are busy, the wait time is more than 30 minutes, please call back later - then they disconnect you. They also say they can be contacted via social media which - that's no better.

Despite what they say about flexibility and making changes online - I got an error message saying the problem was at their end everytime I tried to change it.  When I eventually got though to them via whatsapp, they said 'not all types of change could be done online'. My wife's change was a simple date change - I don't see anything complicated about that.

• Sad 1