Phuket Sandbox: 14,000 "foreign" tourists have spent 800 million baht - spending options limited

webfact

On 8/2/2021 at 2:21 PM, Mickeymaus said:

"Phuket Sandbox: 14,000 "foreign" tourists have spent 800 million baht - spending options limited"

Perhaps more short time spending to overcome the limits? But I have to admit that I am not an expert for family tourism. 

Difficult because the SHA+ hotels would only allow 1 registered guest per 14 day stay. She could come every night, but it had to be the same girl.

I personally ran into few actual tourists amongst the non-Thais who were in Patong, where I spent my 2 weeks in the Sandbox

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, club said:

Your right, I stand corrected. When it first started could have sworn it said 2 jabs of approved vaccine and 1 jab of either J&J or AZ.  

That was for people entering Phuket from the mainland, not sandboxers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There certainly doesn't appear to be an increase in numbers arriving, and it would help to get a sense of the bigger picture if the numbers departing on the daily international flights were also published.   I think most will appreciate that those arriving to date have specific reasons for being here, very few of which has involved actual tourism.   How long they will remain in Phuket before moving onto their real destination or indeed return to their home countries, who knows?

If arriving numbers become fewer, and even more empty seats on the return flights, how long can airlines sustain such a loss making operation?   I'm sure that there has been incentives for airlines to participate in the Sandbox scheme, whether that has been through guaranteed seat occupancy cost subsidy, zero airport taxes and landing fees, free fuel etc, there has to be something because with the costings, it just doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

Really Why would they feel the need to say that, and how could they possibly even know that, 

14,000 tourists in what 4 weeks, spending thousands of baht a day on beer maybe !

What else can they be spending it on I'm puzzled  ????

4 hours ago, pagallim said:

think most will appreciate that those arriving to date have specific reasons for being here,

Yes, but wouldn't that give out too much clarity to the public?   

4 hours ago, pagallim said:

...    I think most will appreciate that those arriving to date have specific reasons for being here, very few of which has involved actual tourism.  ...

Like having their head examined?  Actually, it's real tourists who should have their heads examined, others have valid reasons.  But a few may think it's finally a chance to see things without all the madness of excessive numbers of tourists.