Phuket Sandbox: 14,000 "foreign" tourists have spent 800 million baht - spending options limited

webfact

1 hour ago, georgey said:

Sept 90,182

Those are room nights and I was going by the OP

quoting room nights is a way to make the figure look bigger 

Here is the quote from the OP 

In total 309,719 nights at SHA+ hotels had been booked on the Shaba site for the period July to September. 

July was 109843 night, August 109,694 and September 9,182.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

I assume that most of these supposed tourists are actually people who would normally be living here. Otherwise, why would anybody in their right mind want to visit an over-priced island where most entertainment venues are still shuttered, as I understand it, in a country that has lost control of the delta variant and is itself a dangerous place to be right now. Surely, there are cheaper and better options available for genuine western tourists.

Yes absolutely , and precisely what the majority of us have been saying for months.

Why TAT continues to push the ridiculous notion ,that bona fide tourists are desperate to visit Phuket at the current time, is beyond comprehension.

Is it really saving face , when the narrative is so embarassingly false , that everybody just laughs !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Maths not our strong point? 800 million baht divided by 14,000 people equates to just over 57K baht per person. Entirely plausible given the higher rates that most SHA+ hotels are charging. Probably not much being spent out on the streets though.

Higher rates?

Phuket Hoping $1 Hotel Rooms Lure Travelers To Thailand (travelawaits.com)

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I'd guess that almost all of the Americans are returnees (two of my American friends are completing their sandboxes today and lamming out to Pattaya on today's last Nok Air flight to Utapao). If they wanted a tropical holiday, the Caribbean, Mexico, and Hawaii are much better options at the moment.

Thought domestic flights were grounded?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

Now that Phuket is rolling in money lets hope the Samui plus does the same what is needed is 1 or 2 tourist to spend 400 mil each haha 

Since the sandbox opened on Samui on 15 July 35 overseas visitors have arrived sorry I’ll say 36 as my friend arrived yesterday after spending time in Phuket’s sandbox he wasn’t a tourist but an expat who after over a year has managed to get back and I suspect many more who  as he told me had he gone to Bangkok he would have been confined to his room for the duration with the sandbox he could go visit area of Phuket instead of feeling like a prisoner !!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meauwnam said:

It's 800.000.000 for one month divided by 30 days = 26.666.666,66666667 a day, divided by 14.000 tourists = 1.904,761904761905 a day per tourist. So 1.900 

14.055 tourist so its 1.897 baht a day 

And if the calculations are for 31 days 1.836 baht a day  I think most of this went on hotels  say avarage price 1200 baht so 636 baht a day on food and drink, tours and souvenirs plus the duel pricing they have.

but ever baht helps

• Sad 1

Wow 14,055 and 800million baht, not bad in this mornings news the number was 12,395 and 749.95 million baht, they had a big day 1605 tourist and 50 million baht, so unusual to just make up numbers like that it must be true

• Like 2

1 hour ago, club said:

Thought domestic flights were grounded?

In/out of deep red provinces they're supposed to be suspended...Rayong, where Utapao is located, was only added to "deep red" yesterday and effective maybe midnight tonite (Monday) or sometime tomorrow. That's why he's taking one of the last flights tonite.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

29 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Since the sandbox opened on Samui on 15 July 35 overseas visitors have arrived sorry I’ll say 36 as my friend arrived yesterday after spending time in Phuket’s sandbox he wasn’t a tourist but an expat who after over a year has managed to get back and I suspect many more who  as he told me had he gone to Bangkok he would have been confined to his room for the duration with the sandbox he could go visit area of Phuket instead of feeling like a prisoner !!!

Yes i myself have a friend who rents a bungalow year by year he hopes to come to Samui via Samui plus he will get 45 days we are trying to work out how he can get a visa to stay permanent. big problem is he has not got a Thai bank account  . he has all the paperwork insurance two jabs etc. flight booked for 25 August .only can hope by then the Samui plus is still open . stay safe my friend 

3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I'd guess that almost all of the Americans are returnees (two of my American friends are completing their sandboxes today and lamming out to Pattaya on today's last Nok Air flight to Utapao). If they wanted a tropical holiday, the Caribbean, Mexico, and Hawaii are much better options at the moment.

Especially as almost everything in Pattaya is closed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, meauwnam said:

It's 800.000.000 for one month divided by 30 days = 26.666.666,66666667 a day, divided by 14.000 tourists = 1.904,761904761905 a day per tourist. So 1.900 baht. 

Thats assuming they all stayed 30 days (an impossibility given many didnt arrive at the start of the month) 

57,142 per person isnt unreasonable an estimate

• Thanks 1

they had to try Sandbox when they did & they did, poorly, but attempted it....

these above figures are the factual outcome so far on the program basis...

it was of course always going have a very modest result.......

lessons undoubtedly learned for better Oct high season program

pessimists talking “ failure” are completely missing the point of Sandbox......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1