Phuket Sandbox: August target for tourists will not be met as pandemic rages in Thailand

webfact

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

“And he said that tourists need to be informed that whatever the Covid situation is like in the rest of Thailand Phuket is a separate entity, sealed off from the rest where they can feel confidence in their safety. “

will tourists also be informed that they can’t use their hotel swimming pool because Covid regulations don’t allow it?

Where did you get that from? As far as I am aware the pools are open we own a condo and the pool is open 

• Like 1

I would say keep it going stop people leaving the island and only essential services in, lets get the number down and stop people traveling to other parts of Thailand and then coming back to Phuket and testing positive 

Sandboxers stay off the local markets were they are crowded 

7 minutes ago, schlog said:

New restrictions start in Phuket today and last for two weeks. All public and private swimming pools must close and alcohol cannot be sold or drunk in restaurants.

Thanks for the info I didn't know as we dont live in our condo but we do have a guest in there at the moment, wonder what they mean by "Private Pools" you cant swim in your own pool?

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Hotel pools are open and allowed to stay open.

Please refrain from inaccurate postings 

The government order is clear, if some hotel is not compliant it doesn't mean that the order does not exist. Or the hotels you mention can override Prayut? Mind you mentioning which hotels are keeping their pools open?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I think Thailand doesn't understand what a foreign tourist like on his/her holiday....No alcoholicdrinks with meals in a restaurant, no swimmingpolls, gyms, tennis .badminton, open, not allowed to buy alcohol in certain hours, and sitting together on the beach is a problem too.. and changing rues every day..... So please explain what Phuket has to offer ..

Not sure why you complain. It was called sandbox and there is really a lot of sand. ????

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Sundown said:

The government order is clear, if some hotel is not compliant it doesn't mean that the order does not exist. Or the hotels you mention can override Prayut? Mind you mentioning which hotels are keeping their pools open?

Yes, the order is clear: swimming pools open to the general public should close. Private pools are allowed open.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The island welcomed 14,000 foreigners in its first month and with initial targets largely met it was hoped that 25,000 would be the figure for August.

So that means that the original target was 80,000 tourist arrivals in September...????

Perhaps the local tourism chief in a way is satisfied with the high number of Covid-infections, as there now is a good cause if the Sandbox target is not met.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Yes, the order is clear: swimming pools open to the general public should close. Private pools are allowed open.

It says among the banned activities. Private and public swimming pools open to the general public. Means only pools allowed are private villa pools. I kindly ask you again if you know of any hotel with swimming pool open as of today? Name it.

E70_6JKVcAQpVRk.jpeg.cc611da5b6a68e0d1805f45d74907297~3.jpeg

Edited by Sundown
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Sundown said:

It says among the banned activities. Private and public swimming pools open to the general public. Means only pools allowed are private villa pools. I kindly ask you again if you know of any hotel with swimming pool open as of today? Name it.

E70_6JKVcAQpVRk.jpeg.cc611da5b6a68e0d1805f45d74907297~3.jpeg

There was a clarification. 

"Public swimming pools must close, but private pools at hotels and resorts can remain open." 

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-bans-alcohol-sales-at-restaurants-issues-order-amid-rise-of-covid-cases

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

", pre-pandemic and that recent news about the government using the Sputnik vaccine will inspire Russians to visit. "

Didn't he follow the news? Vaccination rates are very low in Russia and other South Eastern European countries like Bulgaria and Romania because people are reluctant getting a Sputnik shot.

Where do they always find these people making a fool of themselves in public?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Thanks for the info I didn't know as we dont live in our condo but we do have a guest in there at the moment, wonder what they mean by "Private Pools" you cant swim in your own pool?

I was under the impression hotels pools could stay open if they are restricted to hotel guests who will be vaccinated and tested. That may be wrong but it makes sense so......it may be wrong.

1 minute ago, kimamey said:

I was under the impression hotels pools could stay open if they are restricted to hotel guests who will be vaccinated and tested. That may be wrong but it makes sense so......it may be wrong.

You're very correct.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, thetravelbee said:

We've been in Phuket about 10 days. Very beautiful, relaxing. All facilities are opened in hotel, pool gym etc.. depending where you're staying in the island but at the Laguna most places are opened. Pubs and restos shops massage parlors etc... It is extremely enjoyable to experience the island without the hordes of tourists. Not sure what everyone is complaining about. However true that most major tourist attractions are closed. We can live with that!

I agree that if you are looking for a very relaxing holiday, now it is the right time to go. 
How ever i think that there are a few flaws in your "review" ????

image.png.61c1779454ef230a6d1e8e1cb316f841.png 

It is always fun to break the rules until it aint fun no more. 

Once again Scam-Box, is counting Thai's and Ex-pat residence as tourist. It's all BS.

No choice in returning not as "tourist', even though living here as a full time resident of Phuket.

No choice in renting a hotel room even thought some have full time homes.

No choice in paying a Taxi 1500B fare (normally 500B fare) even though some own personal cars.

????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sundown said:

"

• Public swimming pools must close, but private pools at hotels and resorts can remain open."
  • Like 1