Tourist visa to Retirement Visa

Does anyone know for those countries like the USA that do not require a tourist visa if you are staying less than 45, is allowed to change it to a retirement visa?  I have been under the impression that you can not do it but i can not find any Thai regulations backing that up.  Thanks

At the time you apply for the "conversion" visa, you must have at least 15 days left on your current permission to stay. However, your application for the visa is taken under consideration. It is almost always granted, but sometimes it takes a little more than 15 days until the visa is actually stamped into your passport.

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

At the time you apply for the "conversion" visa, you must have at least 15 days left on your current permission to stay. However, your application for the visa is taken under consideration. It is almost always granted, but sometimes it takes a little more than 15 days until the visa is actually stamped into your passport.

Okay.  15 of the 45 days we will be in ASQ, leaving us 30 days to have it completed.  I am also waiting confirmation from a local agency in pattaya.  Guess my info was wrong.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's not a retirement visa.

You can apply for a non O (based on retirement). 

You will need to have 800k in Thai bank in your name only on day of application.

That will give you a 90 day permit to remain in Thailand.

You need to then have the funds in bank for 60 days then apply for 12 month "extension".

Do you have a Thai bank account? 

I am currently in Vietnam.

1 minute ago, dsmiththailand said:

i just confirmed with an agency from Pattaya and they said it will not be a problem and that once i get out of ASQ they will assist with the visa and opening a thai bank account.

The point is there is two levels of assistance from agents.

That can just be help with opening bank account and paperwork etc for the non O visa.

As I mentioned the non O has requirements. The one that causes problem for some is money in the bank.

Are you providing the money for that requirement.

How much is agent charging you.

56 minutes ago, dsmiththailand said:

Does anyone know for those countries like the USA that do not require a tourist visa if you are staying less than 45, is allowed to change it to a retirement visa?

so your question is "Is it possible to change from visa exempt (30/45 days) to retirement visa"?
can someone answer this?

Just now, orchis said:

so your question is "Is it possible to change from visa exempt (30/45 days) to retirement visa"?
can someone answer this?

Yes, that is my question.  I just spoke with a visa agent Pattaya and they have confirmed that it will not be a problem to do so.  

1 minute ago, orchis said:

can someone answer this?

I have. Read the thread.

The answer is Yes.

BTW it's not a retirement visa. It's a non O visa (based on retirement) can be based on marriage etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I have. Read the thread.

The answer is Yes.

BTW it's not a retirement visa. It's a non O visa (based on retirement) can be based on marriage etc

Thank you.
I read the thread, i was confused by the header of the thread calling it a "tourist visa".

i have the money but the agent says i can transfer my money after i obtain my non o visa.

You need to ask what is the agent's fee.

To me sounds like he is just obtaining you the non O and then you will do the 12 month extension by yourself. Meeting the financials by transferring money.

If you have the money to place in bank for the non O then do it yourself.

You need show money came from overseas.

All you need agent for is bank account.

Again what's his cost. 

I only ask as it reflects what he is providing.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You need to ask what is the agent's fee.

To me sounds like he is just obtaining you the non O and then you will do the 12 month extension by yourself. Meeting the financials by transferring money.

If you have the money to place in bank for the non O then do it yourself.

You need show money came from overseas.

All you need agent for is bank account.

Again what's his cost. 

I only ask as it reflects what he is providing.

they are charging 33,000baht to change tourist visa to non o visa and this fee includes opening an account at Bangkok Bank

11 minutes ago, dsmiththailand said:

they are charging 33,000baht to change tourist visa to non o visa and this fee includes opening an account at Bangkok Bank

That's ridiculous.

You can use someone like Siam Legal to open bank account. They use Bangkok bank. Not expensive.

Next transfer 800k into the account yourself.

Next attend immigration for your non 0.

That gives you 90 day stay. When the money has been in bank for 2 months attend immigration for your 12 month annual extension.

That has list of minor requirements. 

You can start another thread for that advice.

The fees are minor.

Do it yourself.

BTW 33K is way over the odds even if you didn't/couldn't satisfy funds in bank requirement. 

Edit: OP, this non O is based on retirement right? 

You are 50+ yr.

Ask because the 33k sounds typical of a non O (volunteering)

Edited by DrJack54

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's ridiculous.

You can use someone like Siam Legal to open bank account. They use Bangkok bank. Not expensive.

Next transfer 800k into the account yourself.

Next attend immigration for your non 0.

That gives you 90 day stay. When the money has been in bank for 2 months attend immigration for your 12 month annual extension.

That has list of minor requirements. 

You can start another thread for that advice.

The fees are minor.

Do it yourself.

BTW 33K is way over the odds even if you didn't/couldn't satisfy funds in bank requirement. 

oh great. I didn't realize i could do it myself as i was under the assumption i had to use an agent. thanks

i went from visa exempt to non O just the other day.  but this was in bangkok.  i assume the checklist is the same for jomtien/pattaya.  here it is if that helps to understand the basic process.  i recently arrived, did the ASQ, and about a 10 days after that went to immigration.  i already had a bank account and money in the bank.

Change Visa Instructions.pdf

• Like 2

oh great. I didn't realize i could do it myself as i was under the assumption i had to use an agent. thanks

Definitely not. Most folk use an agent when they cannot meet banking requirements.

You can start a thread for detailed steps to do it yourself. 

It's easy. I recommend agent for bank account.

BTW if time becomes an issue you can obtain 30 day extension to your visa exempt entry. 

2 minutes ago, buick said:

i went from visa exempt to non O just the other day.  but this was in bangkok.  i assume the checklist is the same for jomtien/pattaya.  here it is if that helps to understand the basic process.  i recently arrived, did the ASQ, and about a 10 days after that went to immigration.  i already had a bank account and money in the bank.

Change Visa Instructions.pdf 156.83 kB · 0 downloads

Wow. thanks so muc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Definitely not. Most folk use an agent when they cannot meet banking requirements.

You can start a thread for detailed steps to do it yourself. 

It's easy. I recommend agent for bank account.

BTW if time becomes an issue you can obtain 30 day extension to your visa exempt entry. 

Thanks so much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dsmiththailand said:

That is expensive, especially for Pattaya. It is especially expensive if it is only getting the 90-day Non O visa. It is a little more reasonable if the price includes (without any extras):

• assistance with opening a bank account;
  • the "conversion" Non O visa without financial proof;
  • the one-year extension of stay that is normally applied for towards the end of the 90-day stay from the Non O visa (agents can arrange to get this extension early meaning you get 15 months at once rather than 90 days and  two months or so later the one-year extension of stay); and
  • the 90-day reports that are required regularly after the one-year extension.

Note that there are agents in Pattaya who can provide all the above for around 26,000-27,000 baht. However, as Jack has advised you, if you have the money readily available, and can transfer it expeditiously to Thailand, you can save over 20,000 baht of a 26-27,000 baht agent fee by handling things yourself. Perhaps, you have a friend in Pattaya who knows the ropes who can help if you feel uncomfortable handling things yourself.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1