Delta now dominant variant in Thailand with 78.2% found in new cases in most parts of country

webfact

SZ7FSN5TLNJVXMLGXISITSKNT4-1.jpg

An illustration released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Alissa Eckert, MS; Dan Higgins, MAM/CDC/Handout via REUTERS.

The readily transmissible COVID-19 Delta variant, which was first confirmed in Thailand in mid-May in a Thai mother and her 4-year son arriving from Pakistan, has now spread through 74 of Thailand’s 77 provinces, accounting for 78.2% of new infections in the country.

Director-general of the Medical Sciences Department Dr. Supakit Sirilak said today (Wednesday) that the department and its network of laboratories had conducted random checks on 2,547 COVID-19 infected people around the country, between July 24th and 30th, and found that 1,993, or 78.2% were infected with the Delta variant. 538, or 21.2% were infected with the Alpha variant and the remaining 0.6% with the Beta strain.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/delta-now-dominant-variant-in-thailand-with-78-2-found-in-new-cases-in-most-parts-of-country/

Logo-top-.png
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Quick lets order more unproven Delata variant Sinovac

You go with what you can get. Per BP 11 JULY almost 700,000 medics got 2x Sinovac April to July and about 600 <1% got the COVID bug and that is after DELTA arrived Thailand mid-MAY 2021

Edited by jerrymahoney

Let's see the bright side...Now we learn/remember the greek alphabet...I remember when Tom Hanks Da Vinci movies were release, it was a golden opportunity for the average american Joe to learn more about Europe and its history.

As it is the most dominate variant throughout the world to date.

And there are those who are quickly suggesting that the Delta will morph into a much more nasty strain - as that's what viruses do. Survival mechanisms.  

Whoops! Spoke to soon. 

The last couple of days there has been talk and reports, among the scientific researchers, that a more deadly and nastier variant that is starting to have it's way throughout the current spikes in America's Florida and California and the U.K. The Colombian-born B.1.621 mutation. Already being looked on as a possible genetic variant of the vaccine resistant type. 

The original COVID has easily replicated itself at least 5 times in the last year-n-a-half. 

Edited by zzaa09

4 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

You go with what you can get. Per BP 11 JULY almost 700,000 medics got 2x Sinovac April to July and about 600 <1% got the COVID bug and that is after DELTA arrived Thailand mid-MAY 2021

Nakhon Pathom today [Thursday] had a walk-in vaccination for all people over the age of 60 in a government vocational park 2 minutes walk from where I live...

I went armed with my passport and joined the queue at 08:30, slowly moved forward towards a tented area where I was met with a man & microphone... 

Very sternly asked to show my ID... I handed him my passport, he ruffled through the pages handed it back to me and asked for my ID. I handed him my passport again... he didn't take it, he asked for my ID card... I told him as a foreigner I don't have an id card I have my passport.

He asked my age, I replied 62, he asked where I lived, I pointed over there 2 minutes away and told him the address.

He said you cannot vaccinate today, Thai only.. !!!!!

When I asked why as it was a walk-in system he just ignored me and continued with people behind me, I asked again to explain why I could not continue he shouted very loudly [microphone attached for all to hear] this is for Thais only, you must go away!!!!

How nice was that!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The readily transmissible COVID-19 Delta variant, which was first confirmed in Thailand in mid-May in a Thai mother and her 4-year son arriving from Pakistan,

Will there be an investigation or an enquiring to establish how she managed to get back into Thailand whilst having Covid /delta ?

Remember the "6 degrees of separation" theory? Would be hard to prove validity, one would think. However the spread of the virus from a Pakistani woman and her child to every province in Thailand does give some sort of de facto proof there is something to it...

Looking for something/anything resembling silver lining... forgive me

Little scaring, when reading about European scientists saying that the Delta-variants spreads very fast, and opposite the first observations, it seems to make infected people quite sick...????

We might need to take the government restrictions serious, even some of them might seem unnecessary viewed through a Westerner's glasses.

However, always looking at the bright side of life, it's still less than one percent of people in Thailand that have been infected (693,305 of 69,991,118 = 0.99%), in some countries it's over 10 percent of the population, for example USA (10.85%); Netherlands (10.91%); and Sweden (10.84%). Some few countries even more than 15 percent.

Almost 99,2 percent of the infected people in Thailand have survived so far (687,642 of 693,305), in US it's only 98.25 percent that have survived.

In comparison the flu seems to have vanished after Covid came around. Perhaps the media coverage and lockdowns makes us more scared. I know stats from my Scandinavian home country, where the flu during a "normal" year (12 month) would kill about 1,500 people, in a high infectious year more than 2,500 with 1,800 in the so-called "flu season", which lasts a few months, out of a population of 5.9 million. The Covid has taken 2,550 lives so far, but that's over almost 1½ year and close to two flu seasons. Also note that in Denmark vulnerable groups are vaccinated against flu, especially elder people, where the Covid vaccinations only began this year. Only really sick people were hospitalized, all others just stayed home, and a quite high number of the population got infected by flu virus. However, people might have build up some immune system protection for flu over the last 100 years, since the last huge pandemic, The Spanish Illness, which is said to have infected 40 percent of the Earth's population with estimated 17 million to 100 million deaths among about 500 million infected. We don't have precise statistics, but based on the known estimates it was a death rate from about 3.4 percent to 20 percent among flu-infected people.

I'm not saying the Covid is nothing to fear, I'm just comparing to an earlier similar about two year long pandemic, so in a way we have so far been very lucky...????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Nakhon Pathom today [Thursday] had a walk-in vaccination for all people over the age of 60 in a government vocational park 2 minutes walk from where I live...

I went armed with my passport and joined the queue at 08:30, slowly moved forward towards a tented area where I was met with a man & microphone... 

Very sternly asked to show my ID... I handed him my passport, he ruffled through the pages handed it back to me and asked for my ID. I handed him my passport again... he didn't take it, he asked for my ID card... I told him as a foreigner I don't have an id card I have my passport.

He asked my age, I replied 62, he asked where I lived, I pointed over there 2 minutes away and told him the address.

He said you cannot vaccinate today, Thai only.. !!!!!

When I asked why as it was a walk-in system he just ignored me and continued with people behind me, I asked again to explain why I could not continue he shouted very loudly [microphone attached for all to hear] this is for Thais only, you must go away!!!!

How nice was that!

You should have taken photos and video of him, while shouting 'Facebook' back at him....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The pcr test or antigen test does not differentiate between Covid and the flu, it certainly does not define delta variant, you need a blood test for that, not long they will come up with another variant 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

As it is the most dominate variant throughout the world to date.

And there are those who are quickly suggesting that the Delta will morph into a much more nasty strain - as that's what viruses do. Survival mechanisms.  

No, that's not what viruses do. Being nastier is irrelevant to whether or not a virus survives. Keep in mind that it's competing against other variants, not against humans. The virus could get nastier (up to a point) or it could become more benign. What matters is whether or not it infects humans (and other species) faster than other variants.

• Like 1

They said on news this AM delta is  now 93% in USA. 

Case numbers have gone from 15k/day  a month ago to 140k.  USA is 45% vaxed with top 3 brands.  Thailand is in deep trouble.  It hasn't peaked yet. 

If it is anything like the US they will see more & more Delta as they vaccinate more & more against Alpha

Sad to say this virus is mutating faster than any vaccine can chase at least for now

The vaccinated as I always said could now become the super spreaders as they feel less effect they are out & about

The brightest minds in the United States and England are fearing that the world is facing a really and progressively gloomy future, but they think slightly differently, though. The US group is cautioning that people vaccinated against the coronavirus are probably now dangerous carriers, while its English counterpart has gone one step further, warning of a strong possibility that a variant worse than Delta and with an ability to render current vaccines useless will almost certainly emerge.

What if everyone’s worst nightmare comes true?

Edited by meechai

33 minutes ago, meechai said:

If it is anything like the US they will see more & more Delta as they vaccinate more & more against Alpha

Sad to say this virus is mutating faster than any vaccine can chase at least for now

The vaccinated as I always said could now become the super spreaders as they feel less effect they are out & about

What if everyone’s worst nightmare comes true?

Superspreaders of serious symptoms and death mainly to those who refuse to protect themselves.

Edited by placeholder

36 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Superspreaders of serious symptoms and death mainly to those who refuse to protect themselves.

Yeah screw those kids, Immune Compromised,Cancer survivors etc...who need them right? Main thing is we have lovely folks like you