How to receive SMS on thai number when abroad

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Wow. Everyone's a critic.

I did say...

So, No.

My final, and only recommendation was to contact True via their Chat function (web) or via a call (yes, I know that requires another phone and an international call)

Yes, of course that's why I suggested it. Assuming you have WiFi coverage you can send/receive texts and calls as if you were in Thailand (lower costs, as you use in-country plan rate), and in areas without roaming partner coverage.

And, related but off-topic, many people here in Thailand use WiFi calling on their home-country SIMs to receive OTP SMSes here. And make-receive free calls.

registration is required.

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/network/wifi-calling.html

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.dtac.wificalling&hl=en&gl=US

https://www.ais.th/4g/vowifi/en/

<AIS is more phone-centric, than app-centric.>

https://help.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/16/1656

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eggdigital.femjo&hl=en&gl=US

Service provider?

You could try sending the code to enable IR but we need the provider's name: AIS, DTAC or TrueMove H.

You may have to contact the service provider, ask them to enable International Roaming. 

Once IR is enabled, install their app, and register for and turn on WiFi Calling.

is from the post I quoted. No sign of you stating that it might not work. Other than that you just repeated the advice that I gave earlier; to contact the provider.

Then you added the WiFi calling thing as if it had relevance to the OP's query; it does not. Good advice, but totally unrelated.

You don't need to chuck everything you know into every post and if you do, it's worth pointing out that is is over and above what the OP required.

No need for the "everyone is a critic" sarcasm. Keep it simple.

Just now, Heng said:

I have definitely been in multiple situations without a data plan (but with a cell signal) and SMS's did not arrive.

...and after a quick Google, you'll note that many others have had issues as well.  It's not a blanket rule.

Nope; not connected and it is a blanket rule. If they did not arrive it was for another reason and not because of no data plan. I don't need to Google.

SMS don't need to use the data network. So you can turn data off completely and still send and receive SMS.

There might have been an issue when they were talking about shutting down 2G networks many years ago. But about a data plan you are mistaken.

Just now, Bruno123 said:

Nope; not connected and it is a blanket rule. If they did not arrive it was for another reason and not because of no data plan. I don't need to Google.

SMS don't need to use the data network. So you can turn data off completely and still send and receive SMS.

There might have been an issue when they were talking about shutting down 2G networks many years ago. But about a data plan you are mistaken.

Nope.   Because I tested it on the spot multiple times.   With data on (and I had a data plan), SMS's came through.  Without it: no SMS.   And yes, I know that SMS's are tied to the voice signal.   Definitely not mistaken about my experience.  

Just now, Heng said:

Nope.   Because I tested it on the spot multiple times.   With data on (and I had a data plan), SMS's came through.  Without it: no SMS.   And yes, I know that SMS's are tied to the voice signal.   Definitely not mistaken about my experience.  

We'll just agree to disagree. Maybe down to some erroneous settings on your mobile phone.

Since you remember so clearly; perhaps the year, the network involved and your location might help.

SMS aren't tied to the voice signal; though I understand what you mean to convey. But no, SMS are never tied to a data plan.

Did you actually ask the network involved about the anomaly?

20 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

We'll just agree to disagree. Maybe down to some erroneous settings on your mobile phone.

Since you remember so clearly; perhaps the year, the network involved and your location might help.

SMS aren't tied to the voice signal; though I understand what you mean to convey. But no, SMS are never tied to a data plan.

Did you actually ask the network involved about the anomaly?

No worries.   And perhaps.

The year, would have been my first time skiing in Sapporo so 2017, the network would have been NTT (but I do recall other carriers flashing up once in awhile as it does depending on where you are).   The issue was getting K-Bank SMS's to do some unexpected banking errands.   Internet banking, not app banking (don't know if it was even available yet).  iPhone 6, and actually not sure on that one.  Might have been on an iPhone 5.   IR on.  Data on (and by data plan I mean whatever they were charging... not a separate purchased plan).    Was at first trying to do the transactions with data off to save some money to maybe buy some noodles instead.  

And no didn't call the network, I just accepted the data cost and went to a p*nk salon.   Her name was Harumi.

On 8/6/2021 at 7:47 AM, Haveasay said:

I'm with ais using Vodafone in Australia never enabled international roaming, though vice versa do. No problems here, getting ais promos mostly, and able to use ais app.

Confirmed, I have AIS and didn't have to do anything at all, I'm receiving text messages in the UK and can top-up via the app if needed.

1 minute ago, Heng said:

No worries.   And perhaps.

The year, would have been my first time skiing in Sapporo so 2017, the network would have been NTT (but I do recall other carriers flashing up once in awhile as it does depending on where you are).   The issue was getting K-Bank SMS's to do some unexpected banking errands.   Internet banking, not app banking (don't know if it was even available yet).  iPhone 6, and actually not sure on that one.  Might have been on an iPhone 5.   IR on.  Data on (and by data plan I mean whatever they were charging... not a separate purchased plan).    Was at first trying to do the transactions with data off to save some money to maybe buy some noodles instead.  

And no didn't call the network, I just accepted the data cost and went to a p*nk salon.   Her name was Harumi.

Aaahhh...I suspected that you were Roaming. Another thing entirely. Sometimes you need to manually select another network than the one automatically chosen, in order for SMS to arrive.

Have had to do this on more than one occasion when Roaming. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Aaahhh...I suspected that you were Roaming. Another thing entirely. Sometimes you need to manually select another network than the one automatically chosen, in order for SMS to arrive.

Have had to do this on more than one occasion when Roaming. 

Ach so.   Well, thus not really a blanket rule.   

And the topic was this kind of issue when travelling.   

cheers.   

Just now, Heng said:

cheers.   

Indeed, might help someone who isn't receiving SMS even when IR has been enabled by the network.

5 minutes ago, Heng said:

cheers.   

The other thing I remember is that Japanese networks, much like those strange Americans, were different. They did not utilise GSM; so that can be another reason why your SMS did not arrive.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Indeed, might help someone who isn't receiving SMS even when IR has been enabled by the network.

curiously, why would it work with data on then?   Does it somehow put me on the 'right' network?

1 minute ago, Heng said:

curiously, why would it work with data on then?   Does it somehow put me on the 'right' network?

If the 2G network was not compatible, they might be sent via 3G. I'm not an expert on mobile networks; so someone may be able to come up with a more detailed explanation.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 8/6/2021 at 6:28 PM, Confuscious said:

Open a Facebook/Messenger account and chose Messenger to receive you SMS.
Can receive SMS anywhere in the world.

Open a Skype account and chose Skype to receive your SMS.

Can receive SMS anywhere in the world.

I don't see a problem here

THANKS!  Actually there is a little more to using SKype to receive SMS text messages.  You MUST buy a Skype phone number, not just use the Skype App, but that is a small price to pay in order to receve SMS anywhere in the world.

I have had a US Skype number for several months now so that I could receive voice calls from the US, but the Skype Rep INCORRECTLY told me that receiving Skype SMS from identity verification texts (like when you want to log into your bank or credit card and they want verification) would NOT work because of some special security protocol from that type of verification so I never even tried to use it that way...until today, and it worked just fine!!!

• Like 1