How to receive SMS on thai number when abroad

You needed to activate International Roaming with the network before you left Thailand. Toggling on the phone function is not the same thing.

Contact the Thailand network to see if they can switch it on even though you are outside the country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Service provider?

You could try sending the code to enable IR but we need the provider's name: AIS, DTAC or TrueMove H.

You may have to contact the service provider, ask them to enable International Roaming. 

Once IR is enabled, install their app, and register for and turn on WiFi Calling.

Open a Facebook/Messenger account and chose Messenger to receive you SMS.
Can receive SMS anywhere in the world.

Open a Skype account and chose Skype to receive your SMS.

I don't see a problem here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

How do you use messenger to receive Otps? The sender needs a phone no.? 

• Like 1

Thank you guys.

I have True, and I can't log in the application cause I don't have a Thai ID.

I didn't think about activating international roaming since I was able to receive SMS on my european number while in Thailand

4 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I'll try this by setting up a new Skype account, I'm not sure how can I verify the number if I can't receive sms... but I'll see. Thank you

52 minutes ago, AcceleratedDragon said:

Thank you guys.

I didn't think about activating international roaming since I was able to receive SMS on my european number while in Thailand

I'll try this by setting up a new Skype account, I'm not sure how can I verify the number if I can't receive sms... but I'll see. Thank you

Google for receiving SMS messages on messenger.

Many tutorials

I don't have a Thai ID and I was able to activate the True app.

AIS has roaming activated automatically according to my experience, but True you need to do it manually. I did it at the True airport booth. I had to insist, they were a bit reluctant to do it and tried to talk me out of it.

Could someone share the links for receiving True and Dtac SMS per app?

56 minutes ago, AcceleratedDragon said:

Thank you guys.

55 minutes ago, AcceleratedDragon said:

Thank you guys.

Google for receiving SMS messages on messenger.

Many tutorials

5 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

How do you use messenger to receive Otps? The sender needs a phone no.? 

Jun 14, 2559 BE — Messenger · 1. Open Messenger and tap on Settings (the person icon) · 2. Select “SMS” from the list · 3. Turn on “Default SMS app".

I don't think that will help the OP.

AFAIK messenger will simply be the default app for receiving and sending SMS. But if the phone isn't receiving SMS through the SIM, there won't be any incoming SMS on messenger either.

So I believe this won't work for the OP.

18 minutes ago, Barley said:

I don't think that will help the OP.

AFAIK messenger will simply be the default app for receiving and sending SMS. But if the phone isn't receiving SMS through the SIM, there won't be any incoming SMS on messenger either.

So I believe this won't work for the OP.

I think that you think too much.

I used messenger to receive my SMS when I was in Europe without any problems

The following may not be the answer to the OP's question, or even directly associated with it, but it may be of use to others:

My UK bank wanted to send an authorization code to my phone, in order to authenticate the transaction which I was actioning on my laptop.

My internet access is via a THB 300 pm subscription to my phone. First of all, I tried switching my Thai sim with my UK one, but I couldn't work quickly enough --- note an earlier respondent's mention of "rebooting" the phone. This takes time.

My successful work-around was to put my UK sim into the phone, log-on my pc (using a wi-fi hotspot) and wait for the code to pop up on my phone, before inputting it into my pc to authenticate the transaction.

Don't forget to replace your Thai sim afterwards!

9 hours ago, AcceleratedDragon said:

I have True

Prepaid? Postpaid? Assume you're trying to receive an OTP SMS?

Contact TrueMove H, ask them to enable IR.

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/international_services/roaming_services/entry/646?ln=en

You could try the USSD code but I don't think that will work.

Maybe try their Chat app? Or try calling +66 89 100 1331

Then install the app,https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.truelife.mobile.android.trueiservice&hl=en&gl=US

and WiFi calling.  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eggdigital.femjo&hl=en&gl=US

https://help.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/16/1656

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 3:56 AM, mtls2005 said:

Service provider?

You could try sending the code to enable IR but we need the provider's name: AIS, DTAC or TrueMove H.

You may have to contact the service provider, ask them to enable International Roaming. 

Once IR is enabled, install their app, and register for and turn on WiFi Calling.

Are you suggesting that they try sending a code via USSD when International Roaming is not switched on?? You think that can work?

Is turning on WiFi Calling relevant to their needing to receive important SMS? Perhaps better to make it clear that it has nothing to do with it, other than adding extra function in that they can make and receive calls and send SMS.

15 hours ago, Medicine Man said:

Dtac and True have Android apps that allow you to receive SMS messages via WiFi in your home country. Maybe the other networks have a similar option..

Can you specify what those apps are?   Any further activation required?   Sounds super convenient.

10 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I think that you think too much.

I used messenger to receive my SMS when I was in Europe without any problems

As in... you didn't activate IR before travelling but your phone still received Thai SMS messages through Facebook messenger?

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Are you suggesting that they try sending a code via USSD when International Roaming is not switched on?? You think that can work?

Wow. Everyone's a critic.

I did say...

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

but I don't think that will work.

So, No.

My final, and only recommendation was to contact True via their Chat function (web) or via a call (yes, I know that requires another phone and an international call)

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Is turning on WiFi Calling relevant to their needing to receive important SMS?

Yes, of course that's why I suggested it. Assuming you have WiFi coverage you can send/receive texts and calls as if you were in Thailand (lower costs, as you use in-country plan rate), and in areas without roaming partner coverage.

And, related but off-topic, many people here in Thailand use WiFi calling on their home-country SIMs to receive OTP SMSes here. And make-receive free calls.

1 hour ago, Heng said:

Can you specify what those apps are?   Any further activation required?   Sounds super convenient.

registration is required.

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/network/wifi-calling.html

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.dtac.wificalling&hl=en&gl=US

https://www.ais.th/4g/vowifi/en/

<AIS is more phone-centric, than app-centric.>

https://help.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/16/1656

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eggdigital.femjo&hl=en&gl=US

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, of course that's why I suggested it. Assuming you have WiFi coverage you can send/receive texts and calls as if you were in Thailand (lower costs, as you use in-country plan rate), and in areas without roaming partner coverage.

And, related but off-topic, many people here in Thailand use WiFi calling on their home-country SIMs to receive OTP SMSes here. And make-receive free calls.

Thanks for the info.   And no doubt people aren't certain because sometimes you can't receive or send SMS without a data plan.... but you could call without a data plan.   Thus a 'Wifi calling' app by name still might leave folks uncertain.   Many of us are still cavemen using these magical devices.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Barley said:

AIS has roaming activated automatically according to my experience. 

I think my previous statement above may be incorrect. 

One needs to dial *125*1# to activate international roaming on AIS before leaving Thailand. 

2 hours ago, Heng said:

Thanks for the info.   And no doubt people aren't certain because sometimes you can't receive or send SMS without a data plan.... but you could call without a data plan.   Thus a 'Wifi calling' app by name still might leave folks uncertain.   Many of us are still cavemen using these magical devices.

Nope; not true. You can always send and receive SMS without a data plan. The two things are totally unconnected.

4 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Nope; not true. You can always send and receive SMS without a data plan. The two things are totally unconnected.

I have definitely been in multiple situations without a data plan (but with a cell signal) and SMS's did not arrive.

...and after a quick Google, you'll note that many others have had issues as well.  It's not a blanket rule.

Edited by Heng