Thai research body predicts a million jobless by year end if pandemic persists

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

That is not much to warn about. If the numbers are correct, which they never are, that is a very low percentage of unemployment.

Latin America, North America and Europe have an unemployment rate of between 8-10%

The world average is almost 6,5% and the total of SEA is about 4,3%

They actually have about 1% lower unemployment than the world had during the high in the start of 1990s.

What is that to warn over?

yes they surely are the best workers in the world,im amazed they arent  all millionaires,must be the buddhist in them, probably  give it  all to charity. God bless them all.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Yes, it's a shame. Definitely not good optics in these times. There's been talk in my village about it, pretty much split. Some happy to see me still working and providing for my fam. Others who are like, why's he still working, and I'm not?

I do wish some of the teachers didn't flaunt it so much. Clocking in then taking off, spending the afternoons at restaurants and coffee shops, for the town to see. Yet in my office, we've been hustling. Trying to get the students to do the work, attend video call meetings. Most are lazy and fallen behind with silly excuses, had to help the parents, bad Internet. Yet some of my colleagues have called them out, noting their Facebook activity. Haha. For the ones truly way out in the sticks with no Internet, my boss has printed of packets of worksheets and driven out there. There's still a few good ones amongst us.

I just paid for our motorbike the other day, financed direct with a small chain of dealers here in Issan. Thankfully it's almost done. My wife's got them on Line and sends the lady the transfer receipt. She's been replying very quickly with a kapum na ka. Why so quick, my wife asked? Because we're one of the few who's still paying, she replies.

You sound like a dedicated and good teacher.

Any school would be lucky to have you.

Enjoy your weekend and stay safe.

14 hours ago, Eibot said:

Me no understand tinglish.

10 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Learn to speak English. ???? 

47 minutes ago, Eibot said:

I agree, you should.

Congratulations, you managed to. Good for you. ????

"Thai research body predicts a million jobless by year end if pandemic persists"

There are probably a million jobless in Bangkok at the moment. 

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Congratulations, you managed to. Good for you. ????

"Thai research body predicts a million jobless by year end if pandemic persists"

There are probably a million jobless in Bangkok at the moment. 

Q:"what do they mean by having a job?"

Your answer: "what is person with a job has"

41 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

And you were so close. ????

Maybe try again. ????

Are you talking in riddles now? 

Close to what? Try what? 

Your answer doesn't make any sense in English. 

Edited by Eibot

On 8/11/2021 at 9:35 AM, Guderian said:

Maybe this is too obvious a solution to the problem, but if there are huge numbers of unemployed Thais then why not just cancel the work permits of a million or two Burmese and Cambodian migrant labourers and send them home, then provide incentives for the unemployed Thais to take their places? It would have the added benefit of reducing the numbers of potentially infected foreign workers hopping across the borders whenever it suited them, spreading the virus. I know the foreigners mostly work in the hardest jobs at the lowest pay, but the government can help by raising the minimum wage and ensuring the various companies pay it, and surely a menial job is better than starving? Or are the poor Thais all so eager to move on to the next cycle of the wheel that they'd rather starve to death than pour concrete on a condo construction project, or harvest sugar cane?

To cut some of the scrub and grass across about 3 rai I am sometimes lucky enough to get a guy from the national park during his time off. We pay him 300 baht a day and get perhaps 6 hours a day work from him.

With all the unemployed people you would think that quite a few would take the job on, but nobody wants to do it.

On 8/11/2021 at 9:36 AM, SuwadeeS said:

Can somebody please take out the calculator!!

Put some numbers behind the section and use the calculator.

I am wondering to see your calculations.

Accommodation sector (Hotels, restaurants)

Travel sector (trains, planes, busses etc.)

Entertainment sector (female etc.)

Souvenirs sector (night bazaars/market)

Fresh / wet markets

Airport staffs

massage / beauty & Cosmetics sector

barber / salons

anything else??? 

The supply sector who deliver ice and booze to the bars.

Taxis and m/c taxis.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:35 PM, Habbo said:

https://www.social-protection.org/gimi/gess/ShowWiki.action?id=443

So what link above tells, there must be a contibutions by employers for longer time before employees can get benefits. Text is by the laws in 2010, so there were benefits already then. Laws and benefits might be different nowdays, and someone who knows better can update what are rules nowdays.

I read earlier this year in the newspaper, Bangkok Post, an interview. Guy who had lost some basic job told he could get 500 baht from government every month, so benefits might be at that level for many.

There is a link on the same website for old-age benefits, so there are those also. My wifes both parents get those. I don't post sums, as I don't remember how much, but benefits are now higher than couple years ago.

Those Thais aged 60 to 69 get the huge sum of 600 baht per month, 70 to 79 get 700 baht. An extra 10 years gets you 100 baht extra per month.

8 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Okay, that's a no. ???? 

That was actually your answer I copied/paste :). Hence my original question if you speak Tinglish? Do you?

Edited by Eibot

11 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

What is "copied/paste :)" ?

Is it some computer html coding that will help predict how many people will be jobless by the end of the year? ????

It's odd that you choose to type it rather than simply quote it, using the forum's simple quoting system. Perhaps you don't know how to use it or are simply making it up. ???? 

To be fair, paying them a daily rate per job is never going to inspire maximum effort. 

Tell him 500 baht to cut the 3 rai of grass and he'd have it done before lunch. ????

The 300 baht was what he asked for and my wife gave him another 100 for his younger brother who also helped out.

BTW have you ever tried to cut the grass and scrub when it is over 30 cm high?

I do it 5 mornings a week for an hour and at age 77 I is damn hard work.

At the end of the cycle again I start all over again and it goes on until the dry season from November to March when it starts all over again.