Covid insurance requirement?

4 hours ago, fauxie said:

I'm going to get 180 days of coverage from TGIA because I don't know yet when I'll fly. It's double the cost, but I guess it can't hurt to be covered for longer. I'll apply for the 1 year extension. Will I ultimately need covid insurance to cover that period, too?

It only takes a few hour to purchase the covid 19 insurance online. A soon as soon as you decide on the day you will be entering the country you can buy it and apply for the certificate of entry.

There is no requirement to have th covid 19 insurance to apply for a extension of stay.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It only takes a few hour to purchase the covid 19 insurance online. A soon as soon as you decide on the day you will be entering the country you can buy it and apply for the certificate of entry.

There is no requirement to have th covid 19 insurance to apply for a extension of stay.

Thanks. And there's not much time between first applying for the COE and then being able to confidently purchase a flight then presumably? I'll try to nail down a particular flight (thinking I'll just fly Thai) and commit to that date before anything else then.

On 8/13/2021 at 2:22 PM, ubonjoe said:

Only insurance for covid 19 is accepted. Money deposited in a bank will not be accepted.

You will need the covid 19 insurance for the length of stay you will get on entry.

A year of insurance is around 23k if you need it that long on this site. 

https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

I wish it was 23k... For some weird reason it displays 43k for departures from Bulgaria despite it having less infections per day per mil than UK or Russia (that they quote 23k for)...

Been trying to find a CoE approved insurance for a while, but prices seem to be increased 2-fold compared to what I paid last year...

10 hours ago, Netherspite said:

I wish it was 23k... For some weird reason it displays 43k for departures from Bulgaria despite it having less infections per day per mil than UK or Russia (that they quote 23k for)...

The cost depends upon the cost of insurance in the country where you will be departing from.

What visa will you be using for entry to Thailand? That determines the length of insurance your require to get a COE.

On 8/15/2021 at 7:18 AM, ubonjoe said:

The $100,000 covid 19 insurance coverage only needs to be valid for the length of stay you get when entering the country. It has to start on the day you enter the country not when you apply for the COE.

So.....say I fly out of Thailand and return a month before my Extension of Stay expires, I only need the Covid-19 insurance for that 1 month that I'll get as permission to stay on arrival?

What about the airlines (or immigration on arrival)? Do they require an outbound Thailand flight if I only have Covid insurance for 1 month?

And I suppose I could fly in to the Phuket Sandtrap and only do 7 days quarantine there, then 7 more days on the island and then return home?

16 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

So.....say I fly out of Thailand and return a month before my Extension of Stay expires, I only need the Covid-19 insurance for that 1 month that I'll get as permission to stay on arrival?

You would only need 30 days of insurance. Be sure you count the days correctly.

What about the airlines (or immigration on arrival)? Do they require an outbound Thailand flight if I only have Covid insurance for 1 month?

No

And I suppose I could fly in to the Phuket Sandtrap and only do 7 days quarantine there, then 7 more days on the island and then return home?

You could if you are fully vaccinated. You have to stay in SHA+ hotel. After the first covid 19 test is negative you can leave the hotel. But have to stay there at night.

As soon as you have finished the 14 days you can travel to anywhere in the country.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The cost depends upon the cost of insurance in the country where you will be departing from.

What visa will you be using for entry to Thailand? That determines the length of insurance your require to get a COE.

Insurance in Bulgaria is dirt cheap compared to western EU countries...

I'll be coming on NON-O and my son on NON-ED. And since it's almost a year left on our extension... We need to buy a 1-year policy ????

10 hours ago, Netherspite said:

Insurance in Bulgaria is dirt cheap compared to western EU countries...

I'll be coming on NON-O and my son on NON-ED. And since it's almost a year left on our extension... We need to buy a 1-year policy ????

There are many factors that can cause it be higher or lower in different countries. This screengrab from the infographic shows ranges of cost for the insurance.

image.png.acb600f5e5354a68c4b1f0991881f515.png

It could also be affected by the exchange rate of a country.

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could if you are fully vaccinated. You have to stay in SHA+ hotel. After the first covid 19 test is negative you can leave the hotel. But have to stay there at night.

As soon as you have finished the 14 days you can travel to anywhere in the country.

So I have to stay in the hotel 14 days (nights), I thought there was a 7 + 7 plan where I could leave after 7 days but stay on the island in a non-SHA+ hotel?

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:
On 8/20/2021 at 8:55 AM, LongTimeLurker said:

From that link that must have taken ages to type out!

It's necessary to

• Have booked and purchased return air travel;

UJ, is it only entry into BKK that doesn't require a return air ticket? as the Sandtrap requirements for Phuket do

That is not quite so. 

The ‘return ticket’ requirement is visa based (as it has always been).

i.e.

A Visa Exempt entry (to the Sandbox or ASQ) requires a return ticket. 

An Visa entry does not require proof of return or onward flight. 

I am holding a current CoE (for next week) and entering Thailand on the return leg of ticket (with no further onward or another flight out of Thailand)

More than one hotel can be booked. All hotels that you stay at must be SHA plus certified. 

The first 7 nights must be spent at the same SHA Plus hotel.

Remaining nights can be at any SHA Plus hotel and could be on Phuket or Samui (or other complaint SHA Plus / Sandbox type accommodation).

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2021 at 8:18 AM, LongTimeLurker said:

So I have to stay in the hotel 14 days (nights), I thought there was a 7 + 7 plan where I could leave after 7 days but stay on the island in a non-SHA+ hotel?

Currently ALL accommodation for the 14 days must be at SHA Plus hotels. 

The first week must be spent at the same SHA Plus certified hotel on Phuket (under Phuket Sandbox entry conditions).

The remaining 7 days can be spent at ‘other’ SHA Plus hotels on Phuket, in Krabi, Phang Nga or Samui (this is where the + 7 comes in).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Currently ALL accommodation for the 14 days must be at SHA Plus hotels. 

The first week must be spent at the same SHA Plus certified hotel on Phuket (under Phuket Sandbox entry conditions).

The remaining 7 days can be spent at ‘other’ SHA Plus hotels on Phuket, in Krabi, Phang Nga or Samui (this is where the + 7 comes in).

I had been hoping to do the 7 days imprisonment and then the next 7 at a mate's place but that seems to be a non-starter.

At least I'll be able to go out for a few beers with him though!

Edited by LongTimeLurker
Typo

12 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

I have an health Insurance policy with AIA that had covid cover: 5m+ thb of accident /health cover. 

But they don't seem to be on the list of providers?

That is is a list of the companies that are participating in trip insure site not approved providers.

You insurance will be accepted if it will provide the required $100,000 coverage from the day you enter the country. It also needs to provide coverage for hospital treatment for a asymmetric infection.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is is a list of the companies that are participating in trip insure site not approved providers.

You insurance will be accepted if it will provide the required $100,000 coverage from the day you enter the country. It also needs to provide coverage for hospital treatment for a asymmetric infection.

I live in Thailand and I started it in about February, coverage for a year.

I'll give them a call and get them to spell out what they cover/send a certificate as I am thinking of going to the UK for a short visit, when and if I ever get a vaccine or two.

RAZZ

On 8/19/2021 at 12:09 AM, Netherspite said:

Been trying to find a CoE approved insurance for a while, but prices seem to be increased 2-fold compared to what I paid last year...

Look here:

https://www.aainsure.net/COVID-100000-usd-insurance.html

I'm flying back in November with reentry permit and would need approx 8 months covid cover, thinking of getting the ACS Globe Traveller....is there anyone who have used this one? It doesn't cover asymptomatic cases, but I have 1 year cover with Roojai,  this would be enough for a field hospital ????

On the plus side it can cover way more than 100K USD and not only covid....the other illnesses didn't disappear magically overnight. 

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think there is a written requirement to provide cover for asymptomatic cases. When I was in ASQ in January a few people were tested asymptomatic and their insurance didn't cover it, they had to pay themselves.

2 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I don't think there is a written requirement to provide cover for asymptomatic cases. When I was in ASQ in January a few people were tested asymptomatic and their insurance didn't cover it, they had to pay themselves.

It wrote it needs to be not required. Just a little advice put into it.

• Like 2

As I understand, asymptomatic COVID is not required to be covered....   however, if you get tested positive and they shackle you up and throw you in a COVID prison "Hospitel", and it is asymptomatic, you will be paying out of your pocket as many of the policies don't cover you if you're asymptomatic (and why should they??)

Girlfriend and I are going through this now, just completed my application yesterday.  Flew to USA 17th Aug (and immediately went to a GROCERY STORE and got vaccinated for free, my choice of either Pfizer, Moderna or J&J!  ???? ), flying back on 7th Sept.  New York Thai Consulate replied back immediately yesterday after submitting my application demanding a signed letter guaranteeing that I had been in the USA at least 21 days.  That was a surprise, never heard of any requirement to be in the USA for at least 21 days before going back...  Lucky for me, we just happened to be here exactly 21 full days!

My insurance premium for the remaining 273 days on my BOI Non-B 2-year multi-entry visa/work permit was 28,450 baht through AXA Thailand.

The expense and relative difficulty for this trip is pretty mind-boggling.   The only reason I'm willing to go through this is because I work in Thailand, there is literally no way I would consider doing this on my own dime.  Much respect to those of you who are just going for fun/visit your sweetheart etc.

Now to survive Hurricane Henri (Luckily now a tropical storm 'only')!!  ????????

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2021 at 1:22 PM, ubonjoe said:

Only insurance for covid 19 is accepted. Money deposited in a bank will not be accepted.

You will need the covid 19 insurance for the length of stay you will get on entry.

A year of insurance is around 23k if you need it that long on this site. 

Please look at Is a good alternative and cheaper https://www.tuneinsurance.co.th/WebPortal/Pages/TAOnline01.aspx?Keys=BGRN26EX8GVM6Y93XG5W6GFFQ4MXNGSZ7UURNB92Z8UEX

14 minutes ago, Max Brok said:

Please look at Is a good alternative and cheaper

It does not look cheaper. For a year it is a little over 31k baht and the one I mentioned is 23k baht.

Does it cover for non symptomatic hospitalization?

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It does not look cheaper. For a year it is a little over 31k baht and the one I mentioned is 23k baht.

Does it cover for non symptomatic hospitalization?

The small print on a lot of policies seems vague regarding ‘non-symptomatic hospitalisation’ and certainly leaves them sufficient ‘wiggle room’ for me to doubt whether they’d pay out. 

I couldn’t get a specific and clear answer from any insurance company. 

IF I test positive while Sandboxing / ASQ’ing and am forced to go into hospital quarantine, I’m going to say I have a bad headache difficulty breathing and ensure the Dr. puts that in his notes !...

I would also be demanding a follow-up test to ensure there is no false positive. 

• Like 1

I decided to go with AXA insurance. It costs 28.5k and appears to be more or less the same as others (tipinsure, tune) at a lower price (yes, if you come from a "proper" country, tipinsure is cheaper, not my case).

Both Tune and AXA have it in their FAQ that asymptomatic cases are covered but I couldn't find it in the policy wording so... Can't be sure about that.

What's different though is that AXA doesn't offer a refund if your CoE is rejected while Tune does. AXA offers a refund only if your visa is rejected.