COVID-19: Thailand reports 22,086 new coronavirus cases, 217 more deaths

webfact

7 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, but the point is day to day life for most Japanese people has not been significantly harmed due to a lockdown.

That's because they haven't had any true lockdowns for the most part, and as a result, their cases are reaching "disaster" levels and they're now considering actual lockdown measures.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

from Johns Hopkins Aug. 13 COVID newsletter:

"HERD IMMUNITY IMPOSSIBLE Consensus is forming among public health experts and scientists worldwide: the highly transmissible Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2 changed the COVID-19 pandemic, dashing hopes of widespread vaccination creating herd immunity that could protect people from infection and guaranteeing the novel coronavirus will become endemic.

While the vaccines are highly effective at preventing serious illness or death, they do not fully protect the vaccinated from infection. Additionally, people who had previous SARS-CoV-2 infections are not necessarily protected from infection from future variants. And because infected people can in turn infect others, whether vaccinated or not, the concept of herd or population immunity with COVID-19 “is not a possibility,” according to experts who recently spoke to the UK’s All-Party Parliamentary Group.

However, the vaccines still work, and work well, protecting those fully vaccinated from death and keeping them out of the hospital, and vaccine doses should be urgently distributed to "where they can have the greatest impact," especially to countries in need, Professor Sir Andrew John Pollard, Director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, urged."

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/COVID-19-Updates---August-13--2021.html

Thailand: only about 7% of the population fully vaccinated thus far, and many of those are with the Sinovac vaccine, which has questionable effectiveness against the Delta variant.

Exactly what one of the professor's at Oxford university who was involved in the AZ vaccine project said. Herd immunity is probably not attainable now but we can get herd protection, whereby you prevent serious illness and death from it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/10/delta-variant-renders-herd-immunity-from-covid-mythical

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's because they haven't had any true lockdowns for the most part, and as a result, their cases are reaching "disaster" levels and they're now considering actual lockdown measures.

I doubt the Olympics helped much.

• Like 1

TIMELINE: Pattaya area informs residents who visited places in relation to the most recent Chonburi confirmed Covid –19 cases

List of places here:

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/08/14/timeline-pattaya-area-informs-residents-who-visited-places-in-relation-to-the-most-recent-chonburi-confirmed-covid-19-cases-2/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sungod said:

So I would assume lots of nurses outside the public system in Thailand too in that case?

Again…show the link to support your words…it’s 200,000

Its the reverse here with more nurses in private practice than public…and guess what? Private hospitals are charging a lot for vaccines that many public can’t afford!! In reality Thailand has far less than 200k nurses for this.

UK had 100,000,000 vaccines in stock and the best day they could achieve was 500,000 vaccines. And Thailand with lord knows how many vaccines in stock doing 650,000 per day??? Please…spare me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

Again…show the link to support your words…it’s 200,000

Its the reverse here with more nurses in private practice than public…and guess what? Private hospitals are charging a lot for vaccines that many public can’t afford!! In reality Thailand has far less than 200k nurses for this.

UK had 100,000,000 vaccines in stock and the best day they could achieve was 500,000 vaccines. And Thailand with lord knows how many vaccines in stock doing 650,000 per day??? Please…spare me.

Just using the figures you provided, 650,000 jabs among the 200,00 (can you send me a link for that number?) is 3.25 each, reckon thats doable.

The lady who did mine was retired and came back to help the effort as has been many the case.

• Thanks 1

Recovered COVID-19 patients must be vaccinated to reduce risk of getting infected again

COVID-19 patients, who have recovered from the disease after completing 14-days of treatment or isolation, may get infected again and, therefore, must be vaccinated, said the director-general of Thailand’s Disease Control Department, Dr. Opart Karnkawinpong, today (Saturday).

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/recovered-covid-19-patients-must-be-vaccinated-to-reduce-risk-of-getting-infected-again/

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I believe they've literally reached their capacity and have failed to increase it, yes willful neglect.

Its not going unnoticed by the rest of the world, even the Swiss donated over a million rapid tests as a hint.

You won’t convince the numpty crowd, however, who can’t seem to correlate Thailand’s low numbers with the fact that they just HAVEN’T BEEN TESTING!!!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sungod said:

Just using the figures you provided, 650,000 jabs among the 200,00 (can you send me a link for that number?) is 3.25 each, reckon thats doable.

The lady who did mine was retired and came back to help the effort as has been many the case.

Exactly same as UK, they recruited thousands of volunteers, retired doctors, nurses, army medics, St John's Ambulance ,etc, as well as many others carrying out roles in administration such as organising the flow of people through the vaccination centres. It is do-able and I believe the UK hit 800k one day if my memory serves me correct.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Phuket reported last evening, 109 new cases, 0 Sandbox and no further deaths

https://www.facebook.com/phuketinfocenter/posts/365968991724950

May be an image of text that says "PKCD 14 สถานการณ์โควิด-19 จังหวัดภูเก็ต ส.ค. 64 (ระลอกเมษายน) ผู้ติดเชื้อรายใหม่ รักษาตัวใน รพ. ในภูเก็ต ต่างประเทศ 776 109 ราย หายกลับบ้านวันนี้44 ราย ายกลับบ้าน เสียชีวิตวันนี้ เสียชีวิตสะสม ราย 1,229 14 ราย Phuket Sandbox ราย HRC ติดใหม่ โครงการรับผู้ป่วยกลับบ้าน ราย ราย ชุมชน กักตัวที่ศูนย์ดูแลโควิต- ผู้เข้าข่ายรายใหม่ 70 ราย 186 ราย ผู้ติดเชื้อยืนยันสะสม 1,940 ราย สถานการณ์การใช้เตียง ของจังหวัดภูเก็ต จำนวนเดียงทั้งหมด ปริมาณการใช้เตียง 846 เตียง ตจว. 9 ระดับ3 ตปท. 21 Phuket Sandbox 57 36.73% 30.38% 69.62% 257 โครงการรับกลับ 38 235 589 53.27% 70.78% อมูลเตียงวันที่ ส่งหาค 564 ข้อมูล เวลา 22.20 น. วันที่ 14 สิงหาคม 2564 สนกร โทร 094-5938876, 062-2435116"

How much testing are they doing and how many more may be positive from an ATK rapid test.  Bigger question, Does it matter in the grand scheme of things as far as the Sandbox staying open without further restrictions unlike the rest of the island.  Reminds me sort of like someone having an all access backstage pass, rules don't apply.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, Japan does seem to be handling it better than Thailand, although I guess that's not altogether surprising.

Although recent numbers are a concern and lockdowns looking likely. Japan still exhibits far more infections, total, and similar daily. 

23 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Update on Saturday: 22,086 new cases (270 from prisons) and 217 deaths. A record 23,672 released from care. Follow @ThaiNewsReports for full details.

12 Aug: 22,782 - 147 dead

13 Aug: 23,418 - 184 dead

14 Aug: 22,086 - 217 dead

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1426345995458154496

Wondering, how are they getting these numbers. How many people are actually being tested to get these numbers? And where? Are people calling in to report their own positive tests? And how many died "with" covid and how many "because of" covid? Numbers are very suspicious.

• Haha 2