Current quarantine situation

What is the current situation if I fly into BKK on a tourist visa or do a visa on arrival? Everything is time sensitive because I need to get up to Chiang Mai and get my paper work started with the language school so we can convert my visa into a student visa.  Im fully vaccinated and have my CDC card. 

Edited by racinkc1

14 day ASQ quarantine in Bangkok.  You can do either a Tourist Visa (60 days) or a visa-exempt entry (45 days); visa on a arrival is different and is in any case suspended.

As you are fully vaccinated you are eligible for the Phuket Sandbox in which you stay at a SHA Plus hotel for 14 days, but you are allowed to roam about the island.  In ASQ you will confined to your hotel room for 14 days.

To participate in the Phuket Sandbox you would have to arrive in Thailand in Phuket (no transit through Bangkok allowed).

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

With a tourist visa entry you would have a total stay of 90 days it you extend the 60 day entry from it for 30 days,

Thanks a million ubonjoe. You are always a huge help. A couple of e visa questions if you don't mind..... First, how long does it take to get the e-appointment slip "with the bar code" after I submit my e-visa online application? Then, how many days before my flight do you think I should send in my paper work "with the e-appointment slip/bar code" in? It says 14 days minimum processing time which leaves me wondering how long it's going to actually take. Last: I shouldn't get rejected for not having a return flight, right?

Thanks again. ???? ???? ????

13 minutes ago, racinkc1 said:

Thanks a million ubonjoe. You are always a huge help. A couple of e visa questions if you don't mind..... First, how long does it take to get the e-appointment slip "with the bar code" after I submit my e-visa online application? Then, how many days before my flight do you think I should send in my paper work "with the e-appointment slip/bar code" in? It says 14 days minimum processing time which leaves me wondering how long it's going to actually take. Last: I shouldn't get rejected for not having a return flight, right?

How long it takes to get the approved application with the barcode on it depend upon the embassy or consulate you apply to. Normally it only takes a couple of days.

Most embassies and consulate do the visa in short period of time after they receive your application and passport. The visa will be valid for 3 months from the day it is issued so there is no reason to wait to do the application.

A onward flight is mandatory for the tourist visa application. It can be a one way ticket to anywhere to meet the ticket requirement.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 10:01 AM, skatewash said:

As you are fully vaccinated you are eligible for the Phuket Sandbox in which you stay at a SHA Plus hotel for 14 days

Correct - if nobody on the plane has Covid.

But if you are unlucky and someone on your plane (near to your seat) to Thailand is tested here and has Covid then say goodbye to that nice hotel on the beach and enjoy 14 days in a Phuket quarantine hotel. There are a couple of horror stories out there from people who had to pay a lot of money for a lousy quarantine hotel with 3 times cold food in Styrofoam containers every day. Better think twice if you want to take that risk.

expanded-polystyrene-ban-shrewsbury-mass

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Correct - if nobody on the plane has Covid.

But if you are unlucky and someone on your plane (near to your seat) to Thailand is tested here and has Covid then say goodbye to that nice hotel on the beach and enjoy 14 days in a Phuket quarantine hotel. There are a couple of horror stories out there from people who had to pay a lot of money for a lousy quarantine hotel with 3 times cold food in Styrofoam containers every day. Better think twice if you want to take that risk.

expanded-polystyrene-ban-shrewsbury-mass

Yes, it is a possibility.  It's actually happened a few times as you point out.  I believe the number of people who have done the Phuket Sandbox is over 19,000.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

So why fearmonger? A small number out of 20 plus thousands. How many people in Thailand "think twice" before they jump on a motorbike to join the 50 plus per day who die on the roads? Insurance is required I'm glad I did the Sandbox and not ASQ again or stay in America where that shrimp fried rice would be at least 12 dollars and probably oily and tasteless with tiny crustaceans from a pond in Vietnam pulled from a deep freeze of 18 months.

Fearmonger?

Where exactly did that happen?

I read not just one story of someone who had to go into a quarantine hotel in Phuket. The persons were vaccinated and tested Covid negative and they still had to go. And it seems now there are very few of these quarantine hotels in Phuket. And they are mostly bad and expensive.

Will it happen to everybody who arrives in Phuket? No.

Can it happen? Definitely yes.

Personally I prefer a luxury hotel in Bangkok which I know is good compared to maybe beach and maybe a crappy hotel and crappy food. But that's only me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Fearmonger?

I read not just one story of someone who had to go into a quarantine hotel in Phuket. The persons were vaccinated and tested Covid negative and they still had to go. And it seems now there are very few of these quarantine hotels in Phuket. And they are mostly bad and expensive.

Personally I prefer a luxury hotel in Bangkok which I know is good compared to maybe beach and maybe a crappy hotel and crappy food. But that's only me.

Fearmongering happened when you suggested people "think twice" about doing the Sandbox.

when the worst case scenario, "couple of horror stories" out of 20,000 plus arrivals is you are shifted to a hospital. There is a  hundred percent guarantee if you do ASQ you will be 14+ nights in a room, dry. At least when I did it you had one hour relax time per day during the second half. I think time passes faster in that prison than Phuket where I have nothing to do but take walks and go to Big C but I would never recommend it to a normal person. I'm not normal. I can sleep 14 hours per day, Sitting in a room after a week and three tests passed knowing you have a week to go is maddening

Here is what happens if the handful out of 20,000 case happens

The remainder of your pre-paid sandbox package is refunded.

Your insurance, (remember the required nonsense insurance) should pay something for your Hospitalization. I have done both ASQ and Sandbox. I recommend sandbox for being able to have a bit of freedom.

Or just stay in your bedsit in Bradford, where one may die of boredom.

To fly to Thailand in 2021 requires jumping thru hoops, and a bit of risk.  Do you ride on motorbikes or otherwise move on Thai roads?  "Think Twice" before you leave your bedroom. The worst case scenario being far more deadly than ministered to by pretty nurses for a fortnight, and a bit of expense.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2021 at 11:01 PM, skatewash said:

14 day ASQ quarantine in Bangkok.  You can do either a Tourist Visa (60 days) or a visa-exempt entry (45 days); visa on a arrival is different and is in any case suspended.

As you are fully vaccinated you are eligible for the Phuket Sandbox in which you stay at a SHA Plus hotel for 14 days, but you are allowed to roam about the island.  In ASQ you will confined to your hotel room for 14 days.

To participate in the Phuket Sandbox you would have to arrive in Thailand in Phuket (no transit through Bangkok allowed).

As it is CM he needs to get to, should note that there are currently no domestic flights. He might find it very difficult to get from Phuket to CM.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As it is CM he needs to get to, should note that there are currently no domestic flights. He might find it very difficult to get from Phuket to CM.

Yes, would likely have to rent a car and drive himself or hire a private car/shared van.

First off, while you might get a refund from your Sandbox hotel, your insurance you were forced to buy will pay nothing unless you are actually sent to the hospital for having a positive test. If only sent to ASQ, it is all out of your pocket at inflated prices because they are almost all converted to Sandbox.

Secondly, remember that it is not actually 14 days. If you arrive after 2PM, then that day does not count. And, you must spend 15 nights in ASQ. So in reality, you end up walking out on the 16th day after arrival (if after 2PM) as early as 6AM. 

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Fearmonger?

But you could still test positive at your 'luxury hotel in Bangkok' and then what.......a 3 course styrafoam extravaganza......so same same but different.

The % of people this happens to is very very low.

• Confused 1

I have a ticket to return mid October .At the moment there seems to end of ASQ by that date even though the Gov suggested to wanted to. I have a Retirement extension. so are the requirements ASQ booking, Covid insurance and a negative test,  if flying from UK? I guess all of this  is on Certificate of Entry, has it been updated since the early days on website and how long in advance of flying to apply ? 

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Nok Air started flights for Phuket to Utapao yesterday with flight onward to a few other cities. A bit costly.

image.png.42ef87ce0261767aad5b7b542e44c277.png

image.png.b9b55f5688580b24fca0ff63949a1885.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, volsfan said:

Secondly, remember that it is not actually 14 days. If you arrive after 2PM, then that day does not count. And, you must spend 15 nights in ASQ. So in reality, you end up walking out on the 16th day after arrival (if after 2PM) as early as 6AM. 

It's 15 nights if you arrive after 1800, been like that for a while for ASQ

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 8:24 PM, ubonjoe said:

A onward flight is mandatory for the tourist visa application. It can be a one way ticket to anywhere to meet the ticket requirement.

Im not sure exactly what you mean ubanjoe. Last time I came to Thailand I did not have a return flight or any flight leaving Thailand and I still got my Visa. I am planning on doing a full 1 year ED Visa. Im starting to think I should just skip the Tourist visa and do a Visa exemption/ visa on arrival. I don't want to waste money on a random flight I wont be taking just to get the tourist visa.  What would you do?

Edited by racinkc1

11 minutes ago, racinkc1 said:

Im not sure exactly what you mean ubanjoe. Last time I came to Thailand I did not have a return flight or any flight leaving Thailand and I still got my Visa. I am planning on doing a full 1 year ED Visa. Im starting to think I should just skip the Tourist visa and do a Visa exemption/ visa on arrival. I don't want to waste money on a random flight I wont be taking just to get the tourist visa.  What would you do?

The flight out of not been required when or where you applied for a tourist visa before. It is certainly required now when doing the evisa application. Do a google search for onward ticket and you will find many sites offering a temporary throw away ticket for less than $20.

The airline would would want to see ticket out of the country for a visa exempt entry within 30 or 45 days.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The flight out of not been required when or where you applied for a tourist visa before. It is certainly required now when doing the evisa application. Do a google search for onward ticket and you will find many sites offering a temporary throw away ticket for less than $20.

The airline would would want to see ticket out of the country for a visa exempt entry within 30 or 45 days.

Ok. I am doing research on this "proof of onward travel" or "throw away tickets" now. Please stay tuned. Im sure Ill have questions.

Thanks again. ????

Edited by racinkc1

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Im not doing the Sandbox in Phuket. The language school has immigration down and they never mentioned it as being an option. 

15 minutes ago, racinkc1 said:

Could you fill me in on what a temporary, throw away ticket means? What counties should I search? Im assuming neighboring counties such as Laos and or Cambodia? I just searched BKK to PNH and they are $300-400.

As I wrote do a search for a onward ticket or flight.

Here is one site that come up. https://onwardticket.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwmeiIBhA6EiwA-uaeFdOHpFr4bIUrj4VOooc2xm441MT8Q3jvlbMD5x_SuYMzo_PDI_s7yxoCNlwQAvD_BwE

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Here is one site that come up. https://onwardticket.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwmeiIBhA6EiwA-uaeFdOHpFr4bIUrj4VOooc2xm441MT8Q3jvlbMD5x_SuYMzo_PDI_s7yxoCNlwQAvD_BwE

Thanks ubonjoe. Now that we have the Rona, traveling has gotten super stressful. It would probably be better to just stay in the states but I have a special Thai person in my life that I need to see. Im going to dig into this all tomorrow. It's getting late here. 

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Now I am learning about the health insurance requirements for covid-19 treatment. This is getting really cumbersome. Travelers insurance is only good for a couple months and is none renewable in most cases.