COE with new passport & visa in cancelled passport

Is it possible to get a COE issued for a new passport, with your non-B visa remaining in a cancelled passport?

The Australian embassy in Bangkok is closed for new passport applications so I will likely get a new one in London. They will cancel will my current passport which has my non-B visa in it. Will this create complications when applying for a COE to return to Thailand?

As far as I know you will have no problem as long as you have re-entry permit for your Non-B extension as I assume is what you have. They should be able to move the extension stamp over to your new passport at border entry, but you have to bring both old and new passport with you. That´s how I understand it.

• Confused 1

You can apply for a COE by submitting copies of both passports. The canceled one would be to prove you have a valid extension of stay with a re-entry permit or a valid non-b visa.

You would then show both passport on entry to the country to use the valid re-entry permit or visa in your old passport and stamp you into the country in the new passport. After arriving you need to go to immigration to have your stamps transferred to the new passport.

I assume your current passport would expire while you are in the UK. Have you checked the current entry requirements for the UK if entering with a Australian passport and the required amount of time it needs to be valid.

I just looked at the Australian embassy website and it states you can get appointment if you need a new passport due to the old one expiring.

Thanks Joe. Current passport doesn't expire till May next year, but the non-B needs renewing in December and having a new passport would ensure the extension of stay can be for one year (is this correct? My office says if passport expires in May, extension of stay will expire in May too - or would it be till Dec 2022 and I would transfer it to a new passport if I got one made in early 2022? I thought the latter was the case but my office recommends having a new passport before doing the annual extension)

The other factor is in case we don't return till December, it means my passport will definitely have more than 6 months validity I'm arrival in Thailand.

Your office is correct. If your passport has less than a year remaining on it your extension will only be issued to the day your passport expires. 

Remember if you enter in December their may still be a 14 day quarantine you will have to go into. Be sure you enter the country with enough time to allow that to end before you apply for your new extension.

When do you plan on leaving Thailand?

The embassy might give you a appointment to apply for new passport due to the shortened extension problem when you apply for it in December.

FYI for most countries Thailand does not have a 6 month passport validity requirement to enter the country.

Thanks again Joe. Leaving within the week so it's a bit too late. Depending on when we return to Thailand I will either get a new one in the UK, or here if we return with enough time. It only takes 3 weeks to be made.

It would be great if quarantine requirements are removed for returning here but I'm not holding my breath!