Thailand now on High Risk (Group A) for Hong Kong

samtam

As from 20 August Thailand now joins Group A (High Risk) requiring 21 days quarantine for travelers returning to Hong Kong. I imagine this will come as a volte face for those who just arrived in Phuket on the direct flight from Hong Kong, and will kill off that potential source of tourists.

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/202108/16/P2021081600483.htm?fbclid=IwAR3vkjGIPtnBB5mh8ihUfBpCaltexpMrwymMDwgwdCCtdf6wUi3rrHxzXVM

Edited by samtam
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

Yes. This has put my plans in limbo. Hopefully it can return to group “B“ before the end of the year. But I doubt it.

Mine too. I was planning to go after my second jab in October to clock in for my PR status before mid January. But like you, I think Hong Kong will not make the revision to group B, unless there is a dramatic improvement in case numbers. The silly classification is based on cases, not on deaths, recoveries etc. As well as Thailand, the US and several other countries has also joined the "high risk" category. I'm not sure how they will react if China's case numbers spike, once the Delta variant gets a grip there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

Thanks for the update. 

I was going to try for 2 vax here then go back to Hong Kong,  but really no point now. 

PR status doesn't run put until end of 2022 for me, so still a little while to go. 

You should be fine. My timeline is looking a bit dodgy, if I want to avoid 21 days quarantine, followed by 14 here. Judging by the comments in the SCMP there are a lot of people very miffed off, particularly those from UK and USA. Compared to those 2 countries, Thailand's numbers are very low.

• Thanks 1