Is an international licence attained in Thailand valid in the UK ?

18 minutes ago, johng said:

If you obtain a Thai licence due to having a valid UK licence (convert)

you do not have to do any theory or practical tests   all you need to pass is the physical eyesight and reaction test..even those are sometimes overlooked.

International licence ?????

A full 5 year Thai licence is accepted in the UK  for a certain period of time  I seem to remember 1 year after which you are supposed to get a UK one..which is a darn sight harder than obtaining the Thai licence !!

However does not one need an International Driving Permit as well??

Many insurance companies need them in case of a claim, also rental companies, in my experience.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

There is no such thing as an International Driving LICENCE, despite what is mentioned on the DLT website.  There is an International Driving PERMIT but that is not required for the UK.  A regular 5 year Thai license is valid for use in the UK.

Will that also be acceptable to an insurance company/, my insurer required valid o/s licence and International Driving Permit

20 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

There is no such thing as an International Driving LICENCE, despite what is mentioned on the DLT website.  There is an International Driving PERMIT but that is not required for the UK.  A regular 5 year Thai license is valid for use in the UK.

Hi,

Does that include a Thai motorbike license? Would that be valid in the UK?

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

Will that also be acceptable to an insurance company/, my insurer required valid o/s licence and International Driving Permit

My direct experience is limited to car rental and on numerous occasions I've rented (usually with Avis) with just my Thai license.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steps said:

Does that include a Thai motorbike license? Would that be valid in the UK?

Amazingly yes..though the UK  government and insurance companies really really don't like motorbikes so expect to pay a lot for the "privilege" of 2 wheel freedom.

9 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

No. An IDP is just a translation of your DL. A 5-year Thai DL is in English so doesn't need translating.

I have needed IDP in English speaking countries to drive and lease vehicles.

Speaking of driver's licenses, I am normally required to go in person to the California Department of Motor Vehicles to renew my driver's license before it expires. However, because of the pandemic I was allowed to renew online and won't have to worry about renewing again until 2026. So, that is one good thing to emerge from this pandemic. (Note: I am required to have a California driver's license for reasons other than driving.)

On 8/17/2021 at 3:55 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

That depends on the basis of the application.   Foreigners using their home licences do not have to take a practical driving test or a theory test.

I was asked to present an IDP, they wouldn't accept my home licence.

So I had to do both practical and theory tests to get my Thai licence.

8 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I was asked to present an IDP, they wouldn't accept my home licence.

What country was your home licence from and which DLT ?

I know that there can be differences of interpretation between different DLT offices...but the Banglamung office (Chonburi)  excepted my UK licence ( for a car) no problem no mention of an International drivers permit.

They would not issue a motorcycle licence because at the time my UK licence didn't show a motorcycle symbol on it...so I had to do the "full Monty" for that ????

2 minutes ago, johng said:

What country was your home licence from and which DLT ?

I know that there can be differences of interpretation between different DLT offices...but the Banglamung office (Chonburi)  excepted my UK licence ( for a car) no problem no mention of an International drivers permit.

They would not issue a motorcycle licence because at the time my UK licence didn't show a motorcycle symbol on it...so I had to do the "full Monty" for that ????

Same as you. UK and Banglamung.

They wouldn't accept my UK licence as it has no picture on it, although they had accepted it 26 years ago when I got my first Thai driving licence.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

They wouldn't accept my UK licence as it has no picture on it,

So you  don't/didn't have the credit card sized plastic one with photo on it  just the old style paper version ?  if so that would explain it..perhaps you should have shown them your old Thai licence instead.

Anyway  "mostly"  they will except a licence with photo on it and written in English without the need for a translation ( not even translated into Thai)

A.K.A  "international drivers permit"