VIN numbers. I am confused

Keith5588

Hi all,

I wish to purchase a car in the near future and after some reading decided on the new Honda City Hatchback as I believe it is replacing the Jazz in Thailand.

I visited a main Honda Dealer and looked at a SV City Hatchback.

I was interested in seeing the VIN number.

I have uploaded the piece of paper stuck to the windscreen. 

9djTc1wRPKh3BCtva2PZ5mJJU3Sk3B21VfUgKsWXCJUn7NtOt7AaeAzEoZE9R1KQMWwvTOHyjn0oI46gUVdiwQ3m7E1MSntXXkuRGgebs_muRyEEMMyJ4X75T0h3PPTIgW7QGdnk

I checked down by the side of the drivers seat and can verify that the VIN number was the same as on the paper stuck behind the windscreen which is       MRHGN7860NT105658

They do label it as the chassis or frame number which I assume must be the 17 digit VIN.

I entered the VIN into an internet site and get the result

MRHGN7860NT105658 Honda -- 1992 VIN Decoder & Vehicle History Report

Manufacturer:

Honda Thailand

Brand:

Honda

Model:

--

Check:

Year:

Sequential number:

It was not manufactured in 1992 so I am doing something wrong!

Unfortunately the sales lady did not know anything about VIN numbers and pointed to the piece of paper.

When I do buy a car I feel it would be good to check the VIN number. 

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Keith

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks a lot Jas, it has helped me.

I did search and knew that the 10th character indicated the model year. I am not sure if I read or if I just assumed that it would be the year of manufacture but I was wrong.

The link you gave me has helped.

I can see that my 10th digit of N can be 1992 or it can be 30 years later 2022.

So I guess it is not the year of manufacture and the model year of the car in the showroom is 2022.

It is still confusing that the model is being sold now but the VIN indicates 2022. 

I just really wanted to double check when it was manufactured and thought the VIN indicated this ...... but it doesn't.

Thanks again for your help

Keith

This is what I read a few days ago and it states 10th digit is the manufacturing year.

Maybe it is in some countries? 

This is what confused me.

Each of these 17-digits signifies important statistics of your car. Below is the information regarding each of these VIN:

First Digit: Details of where the car was manufactured.

Second and Third Digit: Details of the manufacturer.

Fourth to Eighth Digits: Details of the car’s brand, engine type, engine capacity and the fuel type of the car.

Ninth Digit: Security code provided by the car manufacturer.

Tenth Digit: Manufacturing year of the car.

Eleventh Digit: Manufacturing plant of the model.

Remaining Six Digits: Unique serial number of the car.

17 minutes ago, Keith5588 said:

This is what I read a few days ago and it states 10th digit is the manufacturing year.

Maybe it is in some countries? 

This is what confused me.

Each of these 17-digits signifies important statistics of your car. Below is the information regarding each of these VIN:

First Digit: Details of where the car was manufactured.

Second and Third Digit: Details of the manufacturer.

Fourth to Eighth Digits: Details of the car’s brand, engine type, engine capacity and the fuel type of the car.

Ninth Digit: Security code provided by the car manufacturer.

Tenth Digit: Manufacturing year of the car.

Eleventh Digit: Manufacturing plant of the model.

Remaining Six Digits: Unique serial number of the car.

N is the Model Year (not manufacturing year) N=2022 is correct, but your car is made in 2021 (manufacturing year). So the VIN does not give the manufacturing date. 

Very useful site here and explains all: https://www.meadowvalehonda.ca/en/news/view/how-to-read-your-vin-number/63510

• Like 2

Thanks a lot DavisH,

The link you gave is good but even that leads me to be confused. It states:-

Vehicle Identifier Section (VIS)

Letters and numbers 10 through 17 is the Vehicle Descriptor Section. This gives you information such as when it was produced, what options it comes with and so on.

As you can see, each letter or number has been assigned to two different years. To find out which one applies to your VIN, you must look at the 7th letter or number in your VIN. If the 7th VIN position is a letter, then your vehicle is made in 2010 through 2039. If the 7th VIN is a number, then your vehicle is made prior to 2010.

The VIN it seems doesn’t give information when it was produced, only the Model Year.

Also the 7th character for the car I looked at is a number, hence it was made prior to 2010! But it obviously wasn’t!

Sorry if I am wrong but it does seem that some web sites are misleading or the other possibility is that Honda put the wrong VIN number on the car and the 7th digit should have been a letter?  This is also why my intial result stated the car model year as 1992.

Thanks for your help

Keith

It was my first time ever visiting a car showroom, I have learnt a lot mainly from people on this forum after the visit. I did take the  attached photos which didn't indicate the date of manufacture. 

Next time I will know more, and be more prepared and focused.

Screenshot_20210819-082221_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210819-082254_Gallery.jpg

Crikey Keith!!   Don’t think too much!

I have purchased at least 70 cars in my lifetime - but never checked the VIN on any new car purchase. As BTB1977 has said , there is normally another decal on the car with build and or compliance dates.

I did use the VIN to determine the veracity of ‘classic’ mustangs that I bought to ensure that they conformed with their original factory specifications, ie engine type, paint colour, differential type, manual/auto gearbox etc. 

With a new car purchase what you have is obviously original, so should not need verification.   

• Like 1

@G Rex  You are right, I think it is because my career was in electronics and in that (as some other jobs also) things have to be exact or mistakes would be made.  Also I have never before taken an interest in cars. 

There does seem to be some confusion especially the VIN indicating the Model Year which in this case is 2022, I do find it strange that the Model is introduced in 2022 but being sold now! 

But hey I have been living in Thailand for 4 years so things like that do not bother me much.

Now off to play some Petanque in the nearby park.

Thank you everyone

Keith

1 hour ago, G Rex said:

Crikey Keith!!   Don’t think too much!

I have purchased at least 70 cars in my lifetime - but never checked the VIN on any new car purchase. As BTB1977 has said , there is normally another decal on the car with build and or compliance dates.

I did use the VIN to determine the veracity of ‘classic’ mustangs that I bought to ensure that they conformed with their original factory specifications, ie engine type, paint colour, differential type, manual/auto gearbox etc. 

With a new car purchase what you have is obviously original, so should not need verification.   

70 cars!  You must crash a lot if you need to replace cars that often.    ????

Edited by DefaultName
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DefaultName said:

70 cars!  You must crash a lot if you need to replace cars that often.    ????

No!   Let’s just say it was a passion of mine to own many cars. I would have up to 8 cars in my ‘collection’ at any one time.

Now that I am retired and residing in Thailand I have tempered things somewhat and have reduced the stable to 4 cars ????. ????

2 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

@G Rex  You are right, I think it is because my career was in electronics and in that (as some other jobs also) things have to be exact or mistakes would be made.  Also I have never before taken an interest in cars. 

There does seem to be some confusion especially the VIN indicating the Model Year which in this case is 2022, I do find it strange that the Model is introduced in 2022 but being sold now! 

But hey I have been living in Thailand for 4 years so things like that do not bother me much.

Now off to play some Petanque in the nearby park.

Thank you everyone

Keith

You are correct to check , the Vin number you should also specified when you place a deposit build date not older than a set number of days  30/60/90 days as most deposit forms will just state 1.2 xxx xxx auto Most people assume that they will be buying a car that is the same year as purchase.

You should be aware that some manufacturers do minor changes mid year so for example you can have a model same year same model name but if built between January to the end of May will have spec a and if built from June onwards have spec B.

There has been cases where a customer has placed an order for a brand new car and after they have taken the car home found that the car was built 3 years ago

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

It was my first time ever visiting a car showroom, I have learnt a lot mainly from people on this forum after the visit. I did take the  attached photos which didn't indicate the date of manufacture. 

Next time I will know more, and be more prepared and focused.

Screenshot_20210819-082221_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210819-082254_Gallery.jpg

I scanned that QR code with my phone and it gives the VIN number...no other information. 

• Like 1