On Tourist Visa or Exempt entry, is a 'Wife Visit' extension as well as a Covid extension possible, running concurrently?

Does anyone know whether it's possible to do both a Covid Extension and an Extension to Visit Wife, - one after the other?

Or is it either one or the other that's allowed?

(UK national.)

I'll be entering on either a Tourist Visa or a Visa Exempt -

- (as yet undecided... I live near Inverness and do not want to spend time in London to pick up visa from Thai Embassy, which only adds to spiralling cost of entry.)

So, - after obtaining the normal extensions for either the Tourist Visa or the Visa Exempt, can one obtain a Covid Extension and a 'Wife Visit' extension on top of these?

If so, is it required to do them in a particular order – Covid Extension first followed by 'Wife Visit' Extension, or vice versa?

Or is it simply 'easier' (relatively speaking!) to do them in a specified sequence rather than the other way round?

I had previously obtained a One-Year Muliple-Entry based on marriage from Savannakhet.

Shortly after, I returned to the UK for some medical treatment.

That visa's gone now, and it seems inevitable that it will never be reinstated.

I've not seen my Thai wife since January 2020.

(except on Skype!)

I do not have the requisite funds to do either Retirement or Marriage extensions (but am looking at the possibility of using agents for a solution in future.)

I therefore need – (after this very long separation) – to maximize the time I can stay on my forthcoming visit.

I think I'm right – correct me if not – that the following could be possible:

Visa Exempt:                  45 days

Extension:                      30 days

Covid Extension:           60 days

Wife Visit Extension:     60 days

Total:                             195 days

Tourist Visa:                  60 days

Extension:                     30 days

Covid Extension:          60 days

Wife Visit Extension     60 days

Total                            210 days

Second Question:

Pre-Covid regulations allowed for only 180 days in a year.

One couldn't do a border run after that, and one couldn't even return home and apply for another visa shortly thereafter.

How has the Covid situation affected these rules?

(There are no border runs now obviously), - but what are the rules regarding returning 'home' – i.e. back to far-off 'Farang land' and then coming back?

Probably the services of an agent for either an extension based on retirement or marriage is the only reasonable way forward long-term?

I'm not holding my breath that the Savannakhet / HCMC Multiple-Entry 'Marriage Visa' will ever materialise again.

Please do try to keep your reply relevant to the facts and situation described.

(..and please do refrain from facetious or judgemental comments for your own amusement...)

Thanks all

• Like 1

I think the OP is making a big assumption...that Covid extensions will continue.

In my last visits to Immigration I have seen half a dozen people told "no more covid extensions - get a proper visa". Admittedly this is at Samut Prakan which is somewhat "rogue".

I would definitely get a visa before you travel - just apply by post.

RAZZ

Thanks RAZELL,

No, you are assuming that I was making that assumption, when I was in fact bearing in mind the fluidity of the situation.

But we can only apply ourselves to the situation as it currently stands.

Worth knowing though that the Covid extension isn't assured even now.

CW is probably OK for the time being.

The visa by post info is helpful - appreciated!

0upnotover

Good to know - visa by post; also single non-o might be worth considering.

There was something of a furore a while back - 4 years ago (time flies) when things were tightening up on all sides.

One thing was that they weren't allowing you to keep on entering on tourist visas for say 90 days + 90 days after a border run, then return home and go again after a break of only a few months. They were actually turning people away who had too may consecutive tourist visas, saying that they couldn't be a bona fide tourist, (they did have a point!) and to get another (long term) visa extension.

Perhaps this is one of the very few things that hasn't worsened owing to Covid, and might even have improved, - after all the Covid extension must be seen as a bit of a gift surely?

Thanks for your contribution

There is not (and never has been) any rule that says that you are only allowed to be here like that "for only 180 days in a year." That is a lie told by immigration officers at the borders. However, they do have a level of discretion to be able to turn people away.

• Thanks 1

Check to see if you can easily qualify for a O or OA visa in your home country. They are all either 90 days or 365 days. Then add on the extra 60-day "visit Thai Family" extension. Some countries only require money to be in the bank the day you apply, so you may be able to borrow it.