Phuket sees over 20,000 int’l arrivals during Sandbox

webfact

The headline of this post must be ruining the doom mongers days.  For those miserable sods, a day without doom is like a day without sunshine.

For the inevitable "buh it's so low compared to normal times".  It's ultra low rainy season right now and not a lot of flights that have been added yet.  Wait till high season kicks in and people have had time to plan for the trip and the airlines have had time to add more flights based on increasing demand.

Edited by shdmn

12 hours ago, Eibot said:

Yes, i'm all negative about the "litterbox" (if I say that right).  

You are trying to defend something really hard for someone that's negative about it . And you know you say it right you just don't want to admit it yet . Maybe you have the feeling that it's working but deep down if you look at the core of the litterbox idea , you also cannot denie that it's just a way to generate more money for the wealthy hotel and other wealthy business owners and that just a very very small percentage of this money really goes to the people in need . 

2 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

You are trying to defend something really hard for someone that's negative about it . And you know you say it right you just don't want to admit it yet . Maybe you have the feeling that it's working but deep down if you look at the core of the litterbox idea , you also cannot denie that it's just a way to generate more money for the wealthy hotel and other wealthy business owners and that just a very very small percentage of this money really goes to the people in need . 

Yes I'm very negative about it. Stupid Sandbox. How dare they.

I absolutely cannot deny that the hotels are getting all the money. I never realised that tourist don't go to; Local massage, eat street food, get a tattoo, get a haircut, shop at the local shops, use taxi services/tuktuks. They rather spend all the money at the hotels. I do admit that I absolutely agree with you. The solutions is to stop the sandbox all together ofcourse. That will teach those hotels and stupid locals getting money from those poor tourist. Money never trickles down, how naive of me.

I also see now that I need to have a more pessimistic view on life. I just had a go at my wife and some random lady on Facebook. I have to say, it did made me feel better about myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eibot said:

Yes I'm very negative about it. Stupid Sandbox. How dare they.

I absolutely cannot deny that the hotels are getting all the money. I never realised that tourist don't go to; Local massage, eat street food, get a tattoo, get a haircut, shop at the local shops, use taxi services/tuktuks. They rather spend all the money at the hotels. I do admit that I absolutely agree with you. The solutions is to stop the sandbox all together ofcourse. That will teach those hotels and stupid locals getting money from those poor tourist. Money never trickles down, how naive of me.

I also see now that I need to have a more pessimistic view on life. I just had a go at my wife and some random lady on Facebook. I have to say, it did made me feel better about myself.

55555 even though you are sarcastic , don't you think that your sarcasm is a bit missplaced because all the things you are talking about , streetfood , tattooshop , local massage etc what kimd of money do you think goes there at the moment ? So you sarcasm can be seen as truth because it doesn't help the locals even a little bit . The solution is to open up the country as a whole . And then we come back to the point of this argument , the litterbox sceme isn't working(and then i mean the whole idea of the stupid sandbox as you like to call it) there are still infections and people dying so what's the use of such a plan ??

It's to generate money for the wealthy and they don't give a !@#$ about the locals , so better open up the whole country for fully vaccinated . 

16 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

what kimd of money do you think goes there at the moment ?

More than prior to the Sandbox...People have an income again

17 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

o you sarcasm can be seen as truth because it doesn't help the locals even a little bit

Yes, it obviously does...People don't eat, get a haircut, go for a massage, go out for dinner!??

They do, and they pay for it. Helping locals more than "a bit".

18 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

The solution is to open up the country as a whole

That would be the solution for Thailand as a whole. Not relevant as we talk about Phuket no? So dubbel vaccinated people entering Thailand works, but in Phuket it doesn't? Explain?

20 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

there are still infections and people dying so what's the use of such a plan

What did you expect. Covid to magically disappear? Is that your expectation when you have a vaccination? There are barely "sick people" and almost no "deaths". As their are almost no restrictions, I would say it works very well.

22 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

It's to generate money for the wealthy and they don't give a !@#$ about the locals , so better open up the whole country for fully vaccinated . 

No <deleted> Sherlock. Of course it is to generate money. I don't know how much of a <deleted> wealthy give about the locals, nor do you nor is it relevant. Small businesses can open without the permission of "the wealthy" (whoever that may be), and tourist don't need to ask permission from "the wealthy" to spend money at local businesses. 

25 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

so better open up the whole country for fully vaccinated . 

No <deleted> captain obvious.. Of course that would be better, but that has nothing to do with the sandbox working or not.

It is funny though. Opening an island for vaccinated tourist "doesn't work" but doing it on a larger scale (opening a country) does work? Do you think it might have something to do with your salty ass not being on the island? Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eibot said:

More than prior to the Sandbox...People have an income again

Yes, it obviously does...People don't eat, get a haircut, go for a massage, go out for dinner!??

They do, and they pay for it. Helping locals more than "a bit".

That would be the solution for Thailand as a whole. Not relevant as we talk about Phuket no? So dubbel vaccinated people entering Thailand works, but in Phuket it doesn't? Explain?

What did you expect. Covid to magically disappear? Is that your expectation when you have a vaccination? There are barely "sick people" and almost no "deaths". As their are almost no restrictions, I would say it works very well.

No <deleted> Sherlock. Of course it is to generate money. I don't know how much of a <deleted> wealthy give about the locals, nor do you nor is it relevant. Small businesses can open without the permission of "the wealthy" (whoever that may be), and tourist don't need to ask permission from "the wealthy" to spend money at local businesses. 

No <deleted> captain obvious.. Of course that would be better, but that has nothing to do with the sandbox working or not.

It is funny though. Opening an island for vaccinated tourist "doesn't work" but doing it on a larger scale (opening a country) does work? Do you think it might have something to do with your salty ass not being on the island? Lol

Obviously you don't umderstand the whole situation mr know it all . Opening up the whole country because the sandbox sceme doesn't work as they planned it . So the way the situatiin is there now it can be in the whole country and they don't need to name it just do it . Maybe a good new commercial for Nike . But you know axactly what i mean and you also know that the B.S sandbox doesn't work . The only reason why they are generating money is because they openend it up for dubble vaxxed people and they can do that in the whole country . But i will be the bigger man and agree with you that you are right about everything and that's not being sarcastic Mr hypocrit knowitall , just being the bigger man . Buy a bucket and spade and enjoy your playtime in your sandbox.

On 8/20/2021 at 11:49 AM, Eibot said:

Myself and everyone I know is fully vaccinated here. Being vacinated doesn't mean you cannot catch it. Check Israel or the UK. Sandbox is working better than I expected. The Thai government need to realise that they need to stop counting infections on the island but rather people who are actually sick (which is barely anyone). You clearly are not on the island. What makes you say it doesn't work if you're not here?

As far as I know, that is not true. Nearly everyone has had one shot, but, not two.

The people that have had two will mostly have been vaccinated with Sinovac which has proved ineffective against the Delta variant, which is the one that is causing infections now.

The only other vaccine that was available is the AZ which has 12 weeks between shots.

Not counting infections isn't very smart. Asymptomatic people can pass on the virus just as visibly as sick people can. I would go as far as saying asymptomatic people spread the virus even more than sick people. If you're sick, people know to keep their distance.

So......what would only counting sick people achieve? As far as I can see, it only decreases the number which is misleading.

More testing is needed to catch the asymptomatic people.

PS. I live in Phuket.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

As far as I know, that is not true. Nearly everyone has had one shot, but, not two.

The people that have had two will mostly have been vaccinated with Sinovac which has proved ineffective against the Delta variant, which is the one that is causing infections now.

The only other vaccine that was available is the AZ which has 12 weeks between shots.

Not counting infections isn't very smart. Asymptomatic people can pass on the virus just as visibly as sick people can. I would go as far as saying asymptomatic people spread the virus even more than sick people. If you're sick, people know to keep their distance.

So......what would only counting sick people achieve? As far as I can see, it only decreases the number which is misleading.

More testing is needed to catch the asymptomatic people.

PS. I live in Phuket.

I have two AZ and my wife/friends as well. Besides that, fully vaccinated according to Thai records - 1 AstraZeneca is sufficient. Might have something to do that we have a business here and many of my friends did as well. So a little closer to the fire maybe than your social circle? 

My wife had 7 weeks between AZ and I had 8 weeks between. We were vaccinated at Chern Talay - Lagoon. 

Let me rephrase that, because I see what you mean. The governments doesn't need to steer the restrictions solely on found infections, but rather on people getting sick. Indeed it's not wise to simply stop measuring infected cases. I agree. 

4 minutes ago, Eibot said:

I have two AZ and my wife/friends as well. Besides that, fully vaccinated according to Thai records - 1 AstraZeneca is sufficient. Might have something to do that we have a business here and many of my friends did as well. So a little closer to the fire maybe than your social circle? 

My wife had 7 weeks between AZ and I had 8 weeks between. We were vaccinated at Chern Talay - Lagoon. 

Let me rephrase that, because I see what you mean. The governments doesn't need to steer the restrictions solely on found infections, but rather on people getting sick. Indeed it's not wise to simply stop measuring infected cases. I agree. 

Righto. People in business had higher priority than the group I'm in.

Your faith in "Thai statistics" is charming.

13 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Righto. People in business had higher priority than the group I'm in.

Your faith in "Thai statistics" is charming.

Unfortunately, this is very true. Businesses had the priority over all to get vaccinated.

Not sure what you mean by Thai statistics?

Edited by Eibot

1 hour ago, Eibot said:

Unfortunately, this is very true. Businesses had the priority over all to get vaccinated.

Not sure what you mean by Thai statistics?

If they hadn't done the Sandbox project, your odds of getting vaccinated would have gone up by about 1/2 of 1%.  That's how many extra doses Phuket got of the 100+ million they need to reach their vaccination goal. 

In the meantime, they're getting data that may allow them to open up the country to fully vaccinated tourists, and get millions of Thai people back to work.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, impulse said:

If they hadn't done the Sandbox project, your odds of getting vaccinated would have gone up by about 1/2 of 1%.  That's how many extra doses Phuket got of the 100+ million they need to reach their vaccination goal. 

In the meantime, they're getting data that may allow them to open up the country to fully vaccinated tourists, and get millions of Thai people back to work.

Barking up the wrong tree mate. I completely agree with you and the Sandbox program ????

13 hours ago, impulse said:

The "use of such a plan" was to see whether opening up a tiny test area to the fully vaccinated had any unexpected consequences, like increasing the Covid load.  Opening up the whole country before testing it in a pilot project would have been irresponsible. 

The good news is that the vaccinated, tested tourists turn out to be the safest customers in all of Thailand.  Not 100% safe, but nobody is.  Nor will they ever be.  And they're safer than just about anyone else in the country.

That's what i could have told them before the whole project started , that fully vaccinated people would be safer then the NOT fully vaccinated locals . So in other words , no need for the sandbox , just let them go all over the country . The news that fully vaccinated people wheren't in danger is out since the vaccins are out so long before the sandbox sceme . The ASQ was working in bkk already before they started the sandbox sceme they just wanted to generate money for the wealthy on phuket as well and try to make it look a little more atractive then the hotel lock ups in bkk . Vaccinating most percentage of the population would have been better then all those scemes wich costed money to achieve . Look at most european countries where football matches are being watched by thousands in the stadiums without problems(and ofcourse they are finding infected after those matches but nothing serious) . They are just to far behind vaccinating people here for those scemes and should hurry up if they want to generate . And i think or at least feel that they are on the good path at the moment vaccinating just hope it keeps on going and not brought to a halt ????

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

That's what i could have told them before the whole project started , that fully vaccinated people would be safer then the NOT fully vaccinated locals . So in other words , no need for the sandbox , just let them go all over the country . The news that fully vaccinated people wheren't in danger is out since the vaccins are out so long before the sandbox sceme . The ASQ was working in bkk already before they started the sandbox sceme they just wanted to generate money for the wealthy on phuket as well and try to make it look a little more atractive then the hotel lock ups in bkk . Vaccinating most percentage of the population would have been better then all those scemes wich costed money to achieve . Look at most european countries where football matches are being watched by thousands in the stadiums without problems(and ofcourse they are finding infected after those matches but nothing serious) . They are just to far behind vaccinating people here for those scemes and should hurry up if they want to generate . And i think or at least feel that they are on the good path at the moment vaccinating just hope it keeps on going and not brought to a halt ????

Agree with your final sentence.