Confusion reigns over domestic flights to Phuket Sandbox - when will it start?

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Conflicting reports emerged in the media in Thailand as to when flights between Phuket and Bangkok's two main airports would resume for foreign tourists wanting to connect to the Sandbox on the southern Thai island.

Flights were stopped from Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi on July 21st because both Bangkok and Samut Prakan (the location of the main airport) were in deep red zones where travel was restricted due to the ongoing pandemic.

One Thai media said that flights between Phuket and Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi could resume from tomorrow, August 21st.

Thailand's English language media said that it would be next month after a source at the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand confirmed this relaxation for sandbox visitors. 

Earlier Thai Rath had quoted Suthipong Khongphlu of the CAAT as saying that carriers could operate flights but were reluctant to do charters because numbers were so small. 

Buses have been ferrying sandbox tourists at a cost of 1,500 baht between Phuket and Bangkok for onward flights. 

Whatever the starting date the move to allow at least foreigners to board flights to and from Phuket at the two airports in Bangkok was hailed by the chief of the Southern Thai Hoteliers' Association Kongsak Khupongsakon who said that it will aid in the promotion of the Sandbox plan.

He said that whether they were tourists on the planes, people arriving for work or those wanting to reunite with their families it would help foreigners in transit get to Phuket boosting tourism and the economy.

He said it should have been allowed in July for foreigners but he understood the situation and a start now was better than continuing with the ban. 

Much of the confusion, notes ASEAN NOW, is that the media concerned are all relying on "sources" with official confirmation and precise starting dates so far lacking. 

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Flights were stopped from Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi on July 21st because both Bangkok and Samut Prakan (the location of the main airport) were in deep red zones where travel was restricted due to the ongoing pandemic.

I wonder how Thais/foreigners would travel from both airports to Phuket.. if they only had Sinovac as a first shot?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prince77 said:

Yep, I am confused. Once above is approved could I fly from Europe via Bangkok to Phuket for the sandbox system? So far this is not possible as only direct flights to Phuket would qualify for the sandbox system.

Im also flabbergasted, as i saw on Thai embassy, only planes direct form abroad to Phuket could be in SAndbox.

BK was off limit. Tough KLM flies to BK and has direct local connection to Phuket, they sell as package.

SO yeah im flabbergasted.

Also dont understand other airways like Qatar and Emirates as they first have a stop in their own country.

You have to wait there several hours. So what about infections over there? There arent? They keep groups completely separated? Already a report about the 55 sandbox people who tested positive how this could happen?

OK im vaccinated, but i dont need to test my vaccination.

Whatever this government does its bound to be overly complicated.

To many rules, documents,etc.

To many people involved trying to be important decision makers when all it does is create chaos.

Beuracracy at its worse.