Will a Wife receive a Widows Pension from the UK Government.

22 hours ago, sandyf said:

If you sign up to the Government Gateway you can access your NI record and see exactly how many qualifying years you have. There is no such thing as a "prior record", only one record based on your NI number from the date of first registration with the tax office.

This seems to be for UK residents only as they ask for a UK postcode.

18 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

EASY??? <deleted> EASY you say??

I've just spent an hour getting back to absolutely nowhere.

How the heck do they expect me to remember when I got a credit card, it was so long ago!

I'll stick to writing them letters.

Been using it since it started, about 20 years I think, never been a problem even here in Thailand.

Very useful, can do my tax return in about 20 minutes and get the refund in about 5 days.. Far quicker than by post. But each to his own.

19 hours ago, sandyf said:

Been using it since it started, about 20 years I think, never been a problem even here in Thailand.

Very useful, can do my tax return in about 20 minutes and get the refund in about 5 days.. Far quicker than by post. But each to his own.

Tax? Aren't they things you use to pin bits of paper to a board?

Don't have anything to do with them myself!!

Maybe you registered with them in UK? I remember when I first found out about pensions forecast on the website it was only for UK residents, and it still seems to be the same as they ask for a postcode for ID verification.

Edited by LongTimeLurker
typo + extra info
2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Tax? Aren't they things you use to pin bits of paper to a board?

Don't have anything to do with them myself!!

Maybe you registered with them in UK? I remember when I first found out about pensions forecast on the website it was only for UK residents, and it still seems to be the same as they ask for a postcode for ID verification.

A number of providers contracts who verified IDs did not get renewed. 

12 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.

providers contracts in the government NIC scheme?

No

I was referring to government gateway ID verification. 

The government outsourced the verification process to third parties. A recent decision was made that a persons ID verification needed to be validated against a credit check. The third parties who did not use a credit source for verification did not have their contract renewed. 

• Thanks 1

To the OP. 

If the person reached retirement before April 2016 then it is possible that a surving spouse will get a benefit from his pension. However eligibility is subject to other conditions. Retirement before April 2016 is subject to the old rules

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/inheriting-or-increasing-state-pension-from-a-spouse-or-civil-partner#:~:text=and working overseas-,Inheriting or increasing State Pension from a spouse or civil,you reach State Pension age.

Edited by cleopatra2
Provide link
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 7:56 PM, scubascuba3 said:
On 8/23/2021 at 7:51 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

When I checked the NI website last week it said you have to pay NIC up to retirement age.

have you got a link for that?

YES!! Found it now.

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance

When you stop paying

If you’re employed, you stop paying Class 1 National Insurance when you reach the State Pension age.

If you’re self-employed you stop paying:

• Class 2 National Insurance when you reach State Pension age
  • Class 4 National Insurance from 6 April (start of the tax year) after you reach State Pension age

Doesn't say anything about Class 3 contributions though?

14 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

YES!! Found it now.

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance

When you stop paying

If you’re employed, you stop paying Class 1 National Insurance when you reach the State Pension age.

If you’re self-employed you stop paying:

• Class 2 National Insurance when you reach State Pension age
  • Class 4 National Insurance from 6 April (start of the tax year) after you reach State Pension age

Doesn't say anything about Class 3 contributions though?

Yes if you work say 40 years you keep paying it, if you work 30 years that's all you pay unless you make a top up. You can't work 40 years and decide to stop paying NI after 35, that's all it means, you keep paying it while working unless paid below minimum which is popular for those using a limited company

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes if you work say 40 years you keep paying it, if you work 30 years that's all you pay unless you make a top up. You can't work 40 years and decide to stop paying NI after 35, that's all it means, you keep paying it while working unless paid below minimum which is popular for those using a limited company

So why has my mate who is not working been told by HMRC to continue paying until he gets his pension?

21 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

So why has my mate who is not working been told by HMRC to continue paying until he gets his pension?

How many years NI has he paid already? maybe HMRC are referring to the top up so he gets the max pension. He should ask them to explain, it's probably a misunderstanding. If he is unemployed\receiving benefits each year counts as if paid NI.

I'm not working and won't receive a pension for 16 years and HMRC haven't asked me to keep paying NI, so he needs to understand why

Edited by scubascuba3
33 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

37 years

His OK then if you keep paying after that you a little more I believe. 

On the day I couldn't work out my pension it was more than basic and was told the extra years on top are taken into account. 

You can also hold up your pension these days and get a bigger pay out. 

Edited by Kwasaki
7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

His OK then if you keep paying after that you a little more I believe. 

On the day I couldn't work out my pension it was more than basic and was told the extra years on top are taken into account. 

You can also hold up your pension these days and get a bigger pay out. 

I don't think you can get more than the maximum pension, and that is achieved at 35 contributions.

Except by deferment, which I guess is what your last sentence refers to, but you have always been able to do that, it's just not worth it now.

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

I don't think you can get more than the maximum pension, and that is achieved at 35 contributions.

Except by deferment, which I guess is what your last sentence refers to, but you have always been able to do that, it's just not worth it now.

I don't know how they calculate.

Mine was a funny story leading to my pension they said I had 39 years,  I said no I have 42 years. 

They some investigating and found self-employed years where I had paid by standing order.

At the time I think you needed 44 years not sure. 

Anyway UK govt changed things and my pension was based on 30 years. 

I got the basic at the time 2012 and it was topped up by two other calculation to with serps and a thing Maggie did some years before which I took up at the time. 

My private pensions were locked into the time I got my govt pension.