Video: Australian pensioner kicked over after he hit Thai man's car that failed to stop at zebra crossing

webfact

18 hours ago, Will B Good said:

He was lucky in way, could have been stabbed or shot. My wife goes ballistic if a I say or doing anything when driving, she is genuinely scared that some idiot will pull a gun.

My wife is terrified of confrontation on the roads also, she even had a dream that we were beaten very badly by a Thai man on the highway. 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The foreigner did not want to press charges and was later taken home by the Mae Ping police.

Revenge is a dish best served cold

Let this cool & in two months hire three large Thai bashers to get medieval on this <deleted>

21 hours ago, webfact said:

The foreigner did not want to press charges and was later taken home by the Mae Ping police.

Seems the foreigner showed more restraint in not filing charges of actual bodily harm with intent to cause injury.

I hope the police do something more than act as middlemen in this case.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, chang1 said:

Is that correct? In the UK I was taught not to proceed until the pedestrian was off the road. The reasoning is that they may decide to turn around at anytime. Of course the Thai rules may differ. 

This ain't the UK. 

8 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

The point of confusion is Asia is using western symbols but without the same meaning. Zebra crossings were created in the west as a safe zone where the pedestrian is protected. In Asia, it has 0% protection so it shouldn't be used. Asian countries should come up with their own symbol to represent the meaning they intend, otherwise something as simple as crossing the street becomes an international incident like this

That would be the ideal case but if we were to go to a different country with different culture, should we not learn the language, customs and habits of that country? Do as the romans do...

So if we don't take off our shoes back in the western countries, we also shouldn't take off our shoes when entering a Thai home? Even though we are both using 'shoes' in different countries.

Edited by EricTh

4 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

My wife is terrified of confrontation on the roads also, she even had a dream that we were beaten very badly by a Thai man on the highway. 

Yep...same here. I think wifey has seen so many incidents on FB that she is sensitized to it. I am not even allowed to "toot my horn anymore", very frustrating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Seems the foreigner showed more restraint in not filing charges of actual bodily harm with intent to cause injury.

I hope the police do something more than act as middlemen in this case.

Good point, if a crime is committed surely the police are duty bound to prosecute .....it can't be up to the victim???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well done to the guys who came to help him, now name and shame the toss-pot coward that kicked him from behind, with a full clear picture of his face over social media. This IMO would be better than some measly fine imposed, if any. I don't blame the OZy for not involving the cops, at 80yrs old the time and hassle would not be worth it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Good point, if a crime is committed surely the police are duty bound to prosecute .....it can't be up to the victim???

Doesn't work that way here ( and elsewhere maybe), unless charges are filed by the victim, how many times do we hear about people having to go to the cops for some action about their case, even when it has been reported, even in cases of murder.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Edwin Cameron said:

What a cowardly act,he should be named and shamed although I'm not sure if that would mean anything to the new age self centred, narcissists and bigoted Thai male and as we all know to well 'Zebra Crossings' in Thailand are like a target to an archer and will run you down.  

He'll get his come-uppance. Next time he checks his FB account he'll see the unsightly horror of having some of his contacts 'un-follow' or 'unlike' him.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

What thais really feel about us. That's one thai that needs a beat down. 

Unfortunately, this is true, farang are not liked generally by Thais. 

It takes sometimes decades of living here to realize this fact. 

The video here shows it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kotsak said:

My worry when I stop at a zebra crossing to let the pedestrians cross is that a moron will speed past me and wipe the whole lot, and then guess who they'll blame.

Quite!  Don't stop - and break the law, DO stop and down the inside, a motorbike... and on the outside...  I am not joking!

On 8/24/2021 at 12:20 PM, BangkokReady said:

You've never heard of low-lifes in Western countries beating, raping and murdering old people for fun?

The essential difference being this incident would be followed by a criminal prosecution for assault and censuring of driving privileges ,not a pathetic apology and a couple of quid - which is why it’s far less likely to happen in West.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I used to take the cynical opinion that zebra crossings in Thailand should be removed  for creating a false sense of security but over the past few years it is apparent some motorists and even Grab Food riders in Chiang Mai have gotten the message and stop for pedestrians. 

The Aussie banged on the vehicle thinking that the Thai driver is wrong, whereas, the Thai driver thinks the Australian is wrong in crossing even when his car wants to cross first.

If you cross the road anywhere other than a Zebra crossing in most countries in Asia (not just Thailand), it's called jaywalking and extremely dangerous because there might be speeding vehicles.

If you cross at a Zebra crossing, it is safer but you must cross ONLY IF there is no incoming traffic.

There are Zebra crossing with traffic lights in Thailand where cars must stop. If the Zebra crossing has no traffic lights , the cars will slow down but they don't need to stop.

There is a Zebra crossing in front of Kad Suan Kaew. Just observe the Thai people there, they only cross when there are no incoming cars.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

It's because that Australian guy doesn't know the rules in Thailand are different from that in Australia and western countries.

That's why the Australian thinks that the Thai driver is wrong, whereas, the Thai driver thinks the Australian is wrong in crossing even when his car wants to cross first.

If you cross the road anywhere other than a Zebra crossing in most countries in Asia (not just Thailand), it's called jaywalking and extremely dangerous because there might be speeding vehicles.

If you cross at a Zebra crossing, it is safer but you must cross ONLY IF there is no incoming traffic.

There are Zebra crossing with traffic lights in Thailand where cars must stop. If the Zebra crossing has no traffic lights , the cars will slow down but they don't need to stop.

Probably the Aussie know the rules but in a sudden moment of frustration broke Thailand Rule Number 1.  Never show anger. He could have paid with his life.

Anywhere you are as a pedestrian really one has to assume one is "invisible". Cross, having looked both ways for and while  making EYE CONTACT with the driver and  confirming the vehicle is slowing down.  A problem sometimes with the dark tints here, which should be banned.

Be aware other vehicles on a multi lane road might not see you anyway!  

Do think still Thailand is safer for pedestrians than the US because Thai motorists are used to sharing the road with bikes, carts, even maybe an Elephant. US a mixture if extreme courtesy and extreme danger. They drive too fast,  drivers don't look for pedestrians when turning left at an intersection. When they pull out onto a street tonly look the opposite direction for cars, never even a moment to look down the sidewalk for pedestrians in direct proximity,  I have taken to wearing a safety vest or a reflector parka. At night a runners LED flashing light. At least if I am Killed the "I couldn't see him" will be more hollow. I also found when wearing the Safety Vest less homeless/bum harassment. 

My step goal is set to 10,000 some days log much higher and I am a big JAYWALKER. I have only been yelled at by the crosswalk nazis at LAX airport and Honolulu PD. Five' O admonished me from a speaker mounted on the police cruiser. They did not bother to stop, If I am to be fined so be it I only JAYWALK in a means consistent with safety

1 hour ago, DBath said:

Unless, of course, you attempt to cross the road!

Then they should know the rules, zebra crossings do not work like in the West. 

Look left, look right, look left , look right, then run for your life. Works for me.  

On 8/24/2021 at 11:29 AM, xylophone said:

I have mentioned this before, because I don't believe that a lot of Thais know the significance of the zebra crossing (as we call it) and that they are supposed to slow down and stop when someone is on it.

Add to that the fact that there are many unlicensed/untrained drivers out there and you have a recipe for disaster.

Many's the time I have been on a zebra crossing and spied a car coming towards me, so have slowed down, only to find that the car totally ignores me and carries on through.

I have had to warn countless visitors here that they should not treat the zebra crossings in Thailand as they treat them in their own country, because drivers here really don't know what to do with them, or give a toss.

Had one driver  do the same re: the zebra crossing in Pattaya. Actually nudged me with his wing, against a red light and a flow of traffic. I creased his bonnet witb my steel cane. 

Lucky, I guess, as not yet eighty,  and though I have one game leg, at the time I tipped the scale at 120 kilos, and 183 centimeters.

On 8/24/2021 at 2:32 PM, Mansell said:

When I’m driving the car mopeds will cross in front of me forcing me to brake to avoid them.

In the Skoda I will brake to avoid.

In the Hilux I do not, annoy to touch up the scratches on the bullbar but it is what it is !!

On 8/24/2021 at 9:12 AM, smedly said:

wish he had tried that on me

### coward picking on an elderly man

Yes, that's the thing I hate most. At least be a man and hit him from the front. I am 60 but try that on me I'll put you in the local. But cowards unquestionably what they are, weak <deleted> <deleted> <deleted> heads. Rant done

• Like 1

2 hours ago, balo said:

Then they should know the rules, zebra crossings do not work like in the West. 

Look left, look right, look left , look right, then run for your life. Works for me.  

LOL that's your reason why he should be attacked from behind? Because the farang should know better? 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 9:34 AM, Will B Good said:

He was lucky in way, could have been stabbed or shot. My wife goes ballistic if a I say or doing anything when driving, she is genuinely scared that some idiot will pull a gun.

Yes unfortunately big problem, you pull a knife they pull a gun situation. Oh I miss the good old days of a fight, sorry and a beer lol