Video: Australian pensioner kicked over after he hit Thai man's car that failed to stop at zebra crossing

webfact

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

No need for insults. 

I see that you apparently had no problem with the original insult that the guy you were scolding was responding to. Or was that first insult against the old man acceptable to you, but this one not?????

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

100% correct.

It comes down to a lack of education.

They are simply not aware of things like stopping for pedestrians on zebra crossings, right of way (intersections, roundabouts etc.) and other basic principles of operating a motor vehicle safely and courteously. 

Then the incorrect and dangerous behaviour is tolerated because there is no enforcement of the rules.

I don't believe it's a lack of education, training or courtesy. Everyone who saw this news will know exactly why the Aussie was upset and that the car driver was driving illegally and it won't be the first time they have been "taught" this.

Thais are super courtias (spell checker failed me) outside cars.

Your last point is spot on. Roads become their chance to be kings so anyone more vulnerable is fair game. If anybody tries to show more power than they have they have to be put in their place. Hands, feet, knives and even guns will be used to save face even if it is only in his mind.

So don't make excuses for them, they are dangerous @@holes plain and simple. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

Same here. 

My wife  asked me many times not to use common words as F. ck  e.g.

There are too many violent and drugged Thai men outside or driving, hands on a gun or a knife or machete. 

I thought F. ck  in Thai means Pumpkin .................

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There are lots of things Americans don't understand.

Don't be confused. Try to learn.

And get used to the fact that America is not the center of the universe. 

What kind of imbecilic remark was that to someone who was enjoying the differences between British and American English and making mention of them for fun!?? He very obviously understood and was not in the least confused. And he was in no way making some kind of foolish grandstanding of how America is the center of the universe! Do you really need a reading lesson? I doubt it. I just think it's a case of people like you who are why social media has become the bane of society. Would you actually make such a brutish bullying attack on someone to their face like that? Not to mention that it was utterly nonsensical since the comment your nationalistic senses became so offended by wasn't even anything like you propose. Seems like you may be kin to the fool who jump kicked the old man. If not kin, maybe just mates from school? At any rate, likely about the same IQ and tribalistic leaning.

• Sad 2

With a Prime minister who hates foreigners, seriously, we can not expect better. 

That **** who kicked him is the achetypal Thai coward.

Watch your back folks, this is the real deal. ????

Edited by TechnikaIII

6 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

If a pedestrian is on a crossing it is illegal for a motor vehicle to cross.

Wrong: if a pedestrian is on a crossing the pedestrian has Right of Way which means that traffic can cross behind him but not in front of him

50 minutes ago, RobU said:

Wrong: if a pedestrian is on a crossing the pedestrian has Right of Way which means that traffic can cross behind him but not in front of him

Is that correct? In the UK I was taught not to proceed until the pedestrian was off the road. The reasoning is that they may decide to turn around at anytime. Of course the Thai rules may differ. 

Looks like I will have to shift to the Nim City Branch. Yeesh, Thai nutters rampant, what next.  

This street is a cut through street, local driver use and yes they most definitely like to try and play chicken if you cross there. I shop That Rimping. I park my motorcycle right where he landed. Months back watched another near altercation. Old Geezer loudly cursed & flipped off a driver who deliberately went close to him, through the walkway at speed. I thought that one was gong to lead to violence but old geezer was too big. Still it seems just a matter of time.

4 minutes ago, matta said:

What is the purpose or use of a zebra crossing in Thailand knowing that people will not stop anyway.
Can one not continue the line and also omit traffic lights or warning signs?

Some will stop but you never which type is heading your way.

10 hours ago, Clydesdale said:

What action will the police take against the car failing to stop at a zebra crossing when there is a pedestrian on it ?

the man who assaulted the foreigner later apologized and paid for all his hospital treatment.

All fixed now.

I had a similar problem - 15 years ago, I saw a drunken Filipino out riding my GSX-R750 - he had a CBR900, blasted past me and hit a guy (he was about 60) and dragged him maybe 10 metres before crawling off home. Next day the police tracked him down, he paid 6000 hospital fees and said 'sorry, but I got scared'.

All fixed. Thai justice is so heart warming.

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

Ah, the what-about-ery defense. When you have absolutely no way to defend the indefensible.

Actually it's the "explain why you're wrong defense".  I was merely pointing out that this type of behavior, attacking a vulnerable person when you are at an advantage out of zero necessity or justification, is not exclusively Thai.

Perhaps if you re-read the comment I was replying to, you'll see why "it happens everywhere" is a perfect rebuttal when someone is making a generalisation based on race/nationality.

A: "Typically Thai behavior."

B: "Actually it happens everywhere so it isn't exclusive to Thais."

A: "You're right!"

B: "I know.  And it isn't whataboutism either."

A: "That is very true."

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

This works for most things, in any foreign countries. 

How would you react if in , say, Vancouver BC standing right on the kerb on a normal street and a car stopped because they thought you wanted to cross?

I had that happen when visiting the UK some years ago when waiting to cross the road with our young daughter in the push chair.

Couldn't believe what was happening.

The difference is as in Australia people are taught to drive properly, learn the road rules which are enforced with big penalties for breaches, unlike here unfortunately.

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Perhaps if you re-read the comment I was replying to, you'll see why "it happens everywhere" is a perfect rebuttal when someone is making a generalisation based on race/nationality.

It is a rhetorical device based on not wanting to deal with a particular's of an incident.  'So hey, what about Walla Walla, don't they run people over with tractors there?' It happens but has no relation to this incident and to Thailand whatsoever.   If you disagree with a generalization, state that and explain why. Employ the whataboutery defense and people assume you have no explanation, or defense, just deflecting by rhetoric. 

• Like 2