Video: Australian pensioner kicked over after he hit Thai man's car that failed to stop at zebra crossing

webfact

5 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

If you disagree with a generalization, state that and explain why.

I did.

5 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Employ the whataboutery defense and people assume you have no explanation, or defense, just deflecting by rhetoric.

I didn't.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

None, as it is not breaking any law. 

that's incredible! why is it painted on the road, what does it mean? I don't understand why they go through the effort to put it there if it doesn't mean anything. just because other countries have them? I seriously can't see the point or logic

• Like 1

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

Are you really trying to justify a cowardly attack on an 80 year old man? Says a lot about you.

Not in the least. Ask yourself would you hit / damage someone's car if you felt you had been slighted. Let me turn the table on you, "Do you think you have the right to become judge and jury on all things". 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

What has raping and murdering got to do with a Thai not stopping at a zebra crossing then beating an old man because they are such a bad driver and can't control their emotions like a mature adult?

No idea.  Perhaps re-read my comment?

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

All these years on the planet and learned nothing?

Did he spend most of those years in Thailand learning how to cross  the street in a zebra crossing?

Maybe he deserves a break  from attacks on his intelligence.

Edited by In Full Agreement

3 hours ago, Sig said:

I see that you apparently had no problem with the original insult that the guy you were scolding was responding to. Or was that first insult against the old man acceptable to you, but this one not?????

I have no idea what you are on about, care to quote it?

28 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

that's incredible! why is it painted on the road, what does it mean? I don't understand why they go through the effort to put it there if it doesn't mean anything. just because other countries have them? I seriously can't see the point or logic

It is to make driver's aware that people may be crossing the road, but not to stop, but be more careful. 

Can't keep the rules you had in the West and enjoy the lack of laws that are convenient to you, for example buying a visa through an agent if you don't meet requirements, or prostitution. I don't mean you personally.  

• Sad 1

From what i have seen or being told if you a hit a thai vehicle. Str away pay for damage and insurance man to check damage.Happened to me once with minor damage in cnx.Also if they see a farang driving they will try for some  medical injury or drama,but not all of them do that.The thai was at fault ran over and kicked him then run off.Other way round all sorts of money would be involved.The farang was happy to let it go and carry on.lets hope he gets a slap for what he done

That kick and run on the part of the Thai was the most cowardly act, look at him, ran like a rabbit.

I don't know about AUS though but if you did banged on 10 people cars in USA crosswalks you would probably be killed. There are some people who can be jailed, even for murder but they wont take an insult. The Australian has obviously lost the plot and should return to his country.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Clydesdale said:

What action will the police take against the car failing to stop at a zebra crossing when there is a pedestrian on it ?

Nick the pedestrian for encouraging the car to be on  the crossing plus damages to the floor when he fell, to be quite honest i can't even believe how drunk the pedestrian was when he crashed into the car bonnet if i was old bill i would have him on deliberately failing to prevent a vehicle from running him over whilst on a crossing 

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

I have said many times in this forum and yet people still don't listen.

In all countries in Asia except Japan, people don't stop for you at Zebra crossing. You cross Zebra crossing only when there's no incoming car.

There are many previous incidents in Thailand regarding foreigners not knowing Thai laws.

Don't use western laws in Asia. Thai people don't know western laws.

The point of confusion is Asia is using western symbols but without the same meaning. Zebra crossings were created in the west as a safe zone where the pedestrian is protected. In Asia, it has 0% protection so it shouldn't be used. Asian countries should come up with their own symbol to represent the meaning they intend, otherwise something as simple as crossing the street becomes an international incident like this

14 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

How would you react if in , say, Vancouver BC standing right on the kerb on a normal street and a car stopped because they thought you wanted to cross?

In Utsonomiya, Japan I often went walkabout around town. At the time I'd previously spent 10 years in Thailand and so it came as a bit of a shock when waiting to cross a main road having cars actually stop for me. Not all cars would stop if they saw me but quite a few did. 

4 hours ago, NRGF said:

Crossing a busy road in Thailand is always dangerous with or without a Zebra, its best to wait for a whole bunch of people to build up then cross together but try not to be the last one.

And always have a buffer. i.e. someone between you and any oncoming traffic. ????

4 hours ago, NRGF said:

Crossing a busy road in Thailand is always dangerous with or without a Zebra, its best to wait for a whole bunch of people to build up then cross together but try not to be the last one.

Very true, unless there happens to be a terrorist driving a delivery truck, like that guy in Nice, France! ????

6 hours ago, chang1 said:

Is that correct? In the UK I was taught not to proceed until the pedestrian was off the road. The reasoning is that they may decide to turn around at anytime. Of course the Thai rules may differ. 

Yes. The Law States that the Pedestrian has 'Right Of Way' you are not breaking any law if you proceed once the pedestrian has passed you. The same principle applies at T junctions pedestrian has 'Right of Way' if the pedestrian turns around suddenly it is the same as a driver reversing backwards after they have passed a T junction and you crash into them. You are not responsible for the stupidity of the other person. Common sense applies

Brave old man, he should have lived long enough in Thailand to understand you should never try to provoke a Thai male.    We had a case in Pattaya some years ago when a foreigner was shot because he told a Thai to park his car somewhere else.  

That's my first lesson, stay away from any conflicts and you'll live another day. 

• Like 1

Hand my foot crushed by an <deleted> in a car not yield at a red light and zebra.

Guy had to fork out for medical and 6 weeks loss of wages after it went to court.

He had to sell his (bank lone) car to do so.

His excuse in court was he thought zebra was just a decoration.

Just shows how poorly educated Thai drivers are.

Edited by dutchweller
  • Haha 1