Experiences of travelling to UK

Has anyone on the Forum recent experience of travelling to UK?

I am hoping t make  visit in Sept or Oct, nd I am confused by travel requirements.

I am UK citizen in Thailand on retirement visa.

I hope to have had my Thai vaccination before travel, but proposed vacc. is Sinovac plus Astra Zeneca, but UK web-site info seems to suggest that only 2 doses of as ingle type of Vacc. is acceptable.  Is this true, and how do I get round this?  I have had a single Sinovac at local hospital in Thailand as part of government Vacc. program.  Do I need to sign up for another vcc. program with 2 doses as UK require?

Buying a ticket;  My credit card has been blocked, so I will have to travel to Bangkok and buy ticket for cash at a travel agent.  Will his mean a 14 day quarantine in BKK before I can buy a ticket?

Normally I would buy ticket on line and then travel to BKK on day of departure and not spend any time in Bangkok city, just at the airport.

What proof of Vaccination is required?  Anyone experience of what Thai gov program gives?

Will I need a certificate in English, and how to get one?  After my first jab, I was given several pieces of paper, all in Thai, and none looking very relevant or acceptable to UK immigration.

Has Thailand made any suggestions as to how incoming visitors will be treated later in the year.   Earlier thsi year was given a CoE without any problems, but I do not want to go through the ASQ program again.  Will my Thai vacc. count for anything.   

Is Prayuth's  're-opening'  going to mean anything?

Any advice or suggestions, or experiences gladly accepted

There is no need to have proof of vaccination when going to the U.K .

You will need to take a PCR test three days before departure and you will need to purchase home tests (from the UK) before departure and also to spend ten days in self quarantine , so you will need a credit/debit card or find a way to buy the UK home tests 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

There is no need to have proof of vaccination when going to the U.K .

You will need to take a PCR test three days before departure and you will need to purchase home tests (from the UK) before departure and also to spend ten days in self quarantine , so you will need a credit/debit card or find a way to buy the UK home tests 

One caveat you missed.   Maybe today orcertainly tomorrow (26Aug) UK will publish its revised Traffic Light system (i.e Green,Amber amd Red countries for possible quarantine) and there is a possibility that Thailand could move from amber to red.   If that happens travellers into UK will have to undergo quarantine in a hotel at a cost of 2250pounds.    Let's hope that doesn't happen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

One caveat you missed.   Maybe today orcertainly tomorrow (26Aug) UK will publish its revised Traffic Light system (i.e Green,Amber amd Red countries for possible quarantine) and there is a possibility that Thailand could move from amber to red.   If that happens travellers into UK will have to undergo quarantine in a hotel at a cost of 2250pounds.    Let's hope that doesn't happen.

The last review was three weeks ago when Thailand had 18 000 new cases per day , that figure went up to 22 000 per day in following week , but since then the figure has gone back down to 18 000 .

Hopefully because the infection rates are on the decrease, Thailand will remain amber 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The last review was three weeks ago when Thailand had 18 000 new cases per day , that figure went up to 22 000 per day in following week , but since then the figure has gone back down to 18 000 .

Hopefully because the infection rates are on the decrease, Thailand will remain amber 

Why sad?  I said possibility and that's a fact.   Decision is based on more than numbers i.e numbers fully vaccinated and how fast is particular country vaccinating its population.  notwithstanding this, I also do not want Thailand to go Red as I plan to go to the Uk shortly.

Edited by Havenstreet1940

Just now, Havenstreet1940 said:

Why sad?  I said possibility and that's a fact.   Decision is based on mor than numbers i.e numbers fully vaccinated and how is particular country vaccinating its population.

Sad because I am waiting for local flights in Thailand to be resumed , so that I can fly back to the U.K and that is due to happened next week and I really dont want to spend over  2 grand on a quarantine hotel in the UK , especially as I have an empty house waiting 

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Sad because I am waiting for local flights in Thailand to be resumed , so that I can fly back to the U.K and that is due to happened next week and I really dont want to spend over  2 grand on a quarantine hotel in the UK , especially as I have an empty house waiting 

We are both in agreement then that it would be 'sad' if amber becomes red.  All I was doing was highlighting the possibility, as the orignal poster was obviously unaware of the scenario.  Always good to be aware of obstacles,don't you agree?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

We are both in agreement then that it would be 'sad' if amber becomes red.  All I was doing was highlighting the possibility, as the orignal poster was obviously unaware of the scenario.  Always good to be aware of obstacles,don't you agree?

Yes, thank you for posting that and reminding me, as I had completely forgotten about that .

"Sad" because its one more hurdle that I may need to face in order to get back to the UK

4 hours ago, pattayapip said:

Also have to wonder when or if UK will recognise Vaccine given in Thailand ?

This from the latest 'Bangkok Documentary' issued by the Embassy:-

NHS COVID Passes/Vaccine Passports are currently not available for people who have been vaccinated outside of the UK. The UK government however recognises it needs to consider how to treat British Nationals who have been vaccinated overseas. Work is ongoing to determine which non-UK vaccines may be recognised.

I suppose it's too much to hope that they will enable British citizens to enrol on the NHS app and enter their vaccination details. I guess there are some here who can access the app anyway because they've not been away so long that their NHS record has been deleted, as mine has.

Edited by Eff1n2ret
  • Like 1