Monthly Money Visa extension using Wise (formerly Transferwise)

Satge 1

Satisfy the Bangkok Official to give me the all important Bank Letter.

a) He examined my Bank book and was not satisfied with one entry. Answer-obtain a past 12 months statement from head office -6 working days and 200 Baht.

b) Reading the statement -he was still not satisfied. 11  entries either said   SMART or FOREIGN T/T.

One entry stated TR FR OTH BK.

I had brought with me 12 sets of documents. Each set comprised my UK bank statement and a PDF receipt from Wise for that month

On 11 PDF receipts the  named  Thailand based bank was Kasikorn. The TR FR OTH BK -this other bank was Dee Money.

However seeing my PDF receipt satisfied him.

So I left the bank with the letter  -plus a letter confirming that I had a bank account with Bangkok bank-200 Baht total

Stage 2 . Near the Jomtien immigartion office I used the photo copy /photo shop . The man their ( from Napal) advised me to include one of my document sets. This I did.

Stage 3 Satisfying the immigration official -desk 8. There were no real problems except he was not happy that I was using my Joint Account. I explained that when I died my UK based son could send my widow some money

He bought it -sometimes a bit of <deleted> goes along way.

I started the process 17th August 2021 and picked up my passport today 26 August 2021

Next year I will do it more quickly

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Moral to the story, don't have a joint account and if using Wise for money transfers ensure you pay to Bangkok Bank using correct reason for transfer

I  did use the' correct reason for transfer' on all 12 transations .

Wise using Dee Money was out of my control.

44 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

So you used Bangkok Bank for all 12? and what was the reason?

I use Bangkok bank. That simple.

The potential difficulty with using Wise is there is no absolue proof that the money comes in from abroad.

I send my money to Wise in the UK, The sending of Baht to my bank account in Thailand  is an internal transaction within Thailand.

I had earlier spoken with a different bank official. According that  bank official -the correct selection of 'Reason for Transfer' meant zero to Bangkok bank.

My  bank 12 month  statement used the codes  SMART and FOREIGN T/T  which only appear on this 12  statement.

So no problem .

The use of Dee Money by Wise(not Kasikorn)  created a  useless code- This was only overcome because of the discretion of the latter Bangkok bank official.

He was within his rights to say 'Not Acceptable'

It was lucky for me that he didn't.

Edited by Delight
Addef detail

47 minutes ago, Delight said:

I use Bangkok bank. That simple.

The potential difficulty with using Wise is there is no absolue proof that the money comes in from abroad.

I send my money to Wise in the UK, The sending of Baht to my bank account in Thailand  is an internal transaction within Thailand.

I had earlier spoken with a different bank official. According that  bank official -the correct selection of 'Reason for Transfer' meant zero to Bangkok bank.

My  bank 12 month  statement used the codes  SMART and FOREIGN T/T  which only appear on this 12  statement.

So no problem .

The use of Dee Money by Wise(not Kasikorn)  created a  useless code- This was only overcome because of the discretion of the latter Bangkok bank official.

He was within his rights to say 'Not Acceptable'

It was lucky for me that he didn't.

With Wise if you don't use the correct reason for transfer it will settle as domestic, that is probably what you did with at least one of those monthly transfers. What reason for transfer do you choose?

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Delight said:

According that  bank official -the correct selection of 'Reason for Transfer' meant zero to Bangkok bank.

I have been led to believe that if you put reason as long stay in Thailand, they (Wise) will ensure it goes via one of their partner banks, usually BKK Bank. It also takes longer for the transfer, it is not instantaneous.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

With Wise if you don't use the correct reason for transfer it will settle as domestic, that is probably what you did with at least one of those monthly transfers. What reason for transfer do you choose?

Sometimes 'Long term stay in Thailand'. Sometimes 'Monthly living expenses.' Mostly the latter

Kasikorn bank 'as an intermediary bank' always produced the correct code -irrespective of my selection.

As I said earlier  it was the use of Dee Money (as an intermediary bank)  that presented a difficulty.

I have seached the Wise site.I cannot find any reference of the choice of Thai banks (as an intermediary bank)

I cannot find any facility to ask a Q.

Just stock  FAQ

It was female official at my local Bangkok bank who stated that  the section option referencing 'reason for transfer'

had zero influence on Bangkok bank.

Wise is worldwide -maybe other countries can respond to the message.

I do know that the male bank official did me a favour.

I will be keeping my 800K Baht handy -if next or sunsequent applications fail.

After - say the next 3 successful applications -then I will feel totally confident to use the 800K Baht for some other purpose.

Not sure what is required in Jomtien but in Bangkok no letter from bank other than ownership/current balance has been required if you provide 12 month statement printout and passbook.

7 minutes ago, Delight said:

It was female official at my local Bangkok bank who stated that  the section option referencing 'reason for transfer'

It will normally result in Wise sending funds using Bangkok Bank account which results in FTT transfer in a Bangkok Bank account passbook - if long term stay in Thailand is not selected it may be paid by another route/bank and not get the FTT.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Delight said:

Sometimes 'Long term stay in Thailand'. Sometimes 'Monthly living expenses.' Mostly the latter

The latter will usually not result in the international transfer annotation.

29 minutes ago, Delight said:

She's right.  It does however have an influence on Wise who then use a procedure which ends up with the transfer being marked as international when it arrives in your Bangkok Bank account.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure what is required in Jomtien but in Bangkok no letter from bank other than ownership/current balance has been required if you provide 12 month statement printout and passbook.

It will normally result in Wise sending funds using Bangkok Bank account which results in FTT transfer in a Bangkok Bank account passbook - if long term stay in Thailand is not selected it may be paid by another route/bank and not get the FTT.

This may well be true.

Good advice!

From now on on I will use this feature

8 hours ago, Delight said:

Kasikorn bank 'as an intermediary bank' always produced the correct code -irrespective of my selection.

As I said earlier  it was the use of Dee Money (as an intermediary bank)  that presented a difficulty.

I have seached the Wise site.I cannot find any reference of the choice of Thai banks (as an intermediary bank)

I cannot find any facility to ask a Q.

Just stock  FAQ

Wise is worldwide -maybe other countries can respond to the message.

I do know that the male bank official did me a favour.

I will be keeping my 800K Baht handy -if next or sunsequent applications fail.

After - say the next 3 successful applications -then I will feel totally confident to use the 800K Baht for some other purpose.

Using reason "Funds for Long term stay" and your Bangkok Bank account and it will be International every time, it's set up for that purpose

Screenshot_2021-08-27-04-26-33-597_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg