Long Term Stay in Thailand for a Burmese

Hello everyone!

I am a Burmese from Myanmar and I have a remote job with pay over 1K, my original plan was to migrate a developed country like Australia next year when I finished my online diploma. But right now, the situation here is getting worse that I can't work consistently. So I am thinking to move to Thailand for the time being like a digital nomad. I made some research and it seems to be possible but still not so sure completely.

So I am hoping I could get advices on these things I am concerned about.

1. Which visa is the best for a Burmese to stay in Thailand for up to a year. I know most people do border crossing to extend the normal tourist visa but those are westerners, I am not sure that's the same case for me. My other options are to get a job in Thailand that could sponsor me a via or get a part-time diploma at a university with student visa (I have to consider finance for this option)

2. How do survive in Bangkok or in a beach town like phuket with under around 1K budget. I am aware that Thailand is not much more expensive Myanmar but I am not sure how much can get with this budget.

Thanks,

3 minutes ago, tonray said:

If 1K means 1000 US dollars you'll have no trouble surviving in Bangkok.  Phuket I cannot speak to. 

Thanks, I meant to say I'd like to stay in a beach like Phuket or Pattaya, but no sure where to stay or I could just roam around.

A salary of US$1,000 per month is significantly more than many Thais (whole families) live on. Almost anywhere in Thailand, it could be enough, but staying away from popular foreign tourist areas like Phuket, Pattaya and Koh Samui would make your money stretch further. If you would be satisfied with a quiet beach area with little infrastructure, this can be cheap.

Just getting (legally) from Myanmar to Thailand under the current circumstances is expensive. Read up on the requirements for a Certificate of Entry which right now involves many costs that do not exist normally.

As far as visas are concerned, border bounces are absolutely out right now, both because land borders are closed, and because of the costs associated with any new entry into Thailand. Best for you might be an education visa. Ask around on Burmese oriented Thai forums to see if there is advice on getting an education visa from Myanmar to come to Thailand.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker66 said:

The situation in Thailand is very uncertain. Government restrictions might end up costing you a lot of money. For example, you might be forced to fly home at short notice at a very high cost.

It is currently too risky for someone with only $1k/month USD.

Wait and see if things settle down.

I noticed the situation in Thailand, but it is still much much better than Myanmar. I will look into the government restrictions, thanks for the information.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

A salary of US$1,000 per month is significantly more than many Thais (whole families) live on. Almost anywhere in Thailand, it could be enough, but staying away from popular foreign tourist areas like Phuket, Pattaya and Koh Samui would make your money stretch further. If you would be satisfied with a quiet beach area with little infrastructure, this can be cheap.

Just getting (legally) from Myanmar to Thailand under the current circumstances is expensive. Read up on the requirements for a Certificate of Entry which right now involves many costs that do not exist normally.

As far as visas are concerned, border bounces are absolutely out right now, both because land borders are closed, and because of the costs associated with any new entry into Thailand. Best for you might be an education visa. Ask around on Burmese oriented Thai forums to see if there is advice on getting an education visa from Myanmar to come to Thailand.

As I found out, some accredited universities are more expensive than I expected/could afford. Since it is the best way to get into Thailand, I will have to look further into that.

3 minutes ago, AD3000 said:

I noticed the situation in Thailand, but it is still much much better than Myanmar. I will look into the government restrictions, thanks for the information.

How is Myanmar worse in terms of how people are actually living?

Is everything closed, are food shipment not getting through?

2 minutes ago, AD3000 said:

As I found out, some accredited universities are more expensive than I expected/could afford. Since it is the best way to get into Thailand, I will have to look further into that.

If you find the forums frequented by Burmese students, I am sure you can get a clear picture on this. There are language schools that teach Thai, English and Chinese that might be more affordable than a degree course. The downside of these is that immigration treats such schools with suspicion unless they are paid to cooperate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker66 said:

How is Myanmar worse in terms of how people are actually living?

Is everything closed, are food shipment not getting through?

An issue that I am directly concerned is that infrastructure are shrinking, electricity, internet etc. 

Another thing is that gun fire and bomb explosion are becoming a day to day sound in my neighborhood and there is also a jackpot chance that you could get arrested for no reason or even get shot whether when you go out or stay in your home.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AD3000 said:

An issue that I am directly concerned is that infrastructure are shrinking, electricity, internet etc. 

Another thing is that gun fire and bomb explosion are becoming a day to day sound in my neighborhood and there is also a jackpot chance that you could get arrested for no reason or even get shot whether when you go out or stay in your home.

That is terrible. I hope you don't jump out of that frying pan just as Thailand turns into a fire over social unrest.

I'd recommend that you wait for a country to settle down to living with Covid long term, and where there is a clear path to re-employing the population. It is very dangerous to move to a country where a lot of people are out of work.

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker66 said:

That is terrible. I hope you don't jump out of that frying pan just as Thailand turns into a fire over social unrest.

I'd recommend that you wait for a country to settle down to living with Covid long term, and where there is a clear path to re-employing the population. It is very dangerous to move to a country where a lot of people are out of work.

Good luck.

Thank you for your concern, I also wish that won't happen. But it seems that the longer I wait, the narrower the chance to get out of my country as there are signs of more restriction by the junta.

• Like 1

Bear in mind that entering right now, you will have to quarantine for 14-15 days at your own expense in an approved facility. This alone will cost you at least $1k, upfront.

Border runs are not possible at present time due to COVID restrictions and in any case would be chancy - back when they were possible, people sometimes got hassled or refused if pattern of entry suggested they were living in Thailand long term.

Best options are either a work visa (for employment with a a company - there is no way to get this being a self employed digital nomad) or education visa.

• Like 2