PHUKET SANDBOX SHA+ hotels area

John9

Thinking of applying for COE for Phuket sandbox and after 14 days will travel to pattaya where I live.

Anyone who has recently done this please recommend best SHA+ hotel - don't mind 4/5 star as long as area near by is open specially restaurants, massages etc. Are bas open ? Does restaurants serve alcohol ? Please recommend pros and cons or should I book ASQ in Bangkok or Pattaya.

Kindly give honest opinion. Many thanks in advance.

• Confused 1

The difference between Phuket Sandbox and ASQ/ALQ that most people notice right away is that in the first you can leave your room for 14 days and in the second you can't. ???? 

But that little difference aside... restaurants are open but they don't openly sell alcohol, massage shops are open, bars are not open (unless they also happen to have food service, in which case they are but not serving alcohol),  In short, Phuket is not currently party central, but then I imagine is a slight improvement over being stuck in your room for 14 days in Pattaya or Bangkok.

Pros for Phuket Sandbox:

1. You're not stuck in your room
2. Can be cheaper because you're not paying as much for lodging/hospital services and meals built into the cost of ASQ

Cons for Phuket Sandbox:
1.  8,000 baht must be paid in advance for three RT-PCR tests.
2. Aside from perhaps breakfast no other meals are typically provided for you.
3. You will have to travel from Phuket to Pattaya.  Can probably fly Phuket to U-Tapao, otherwise have to arrange private transport via private car/van or rent a car and drive yourself.

You have to stay in a SHA Plus hotel such as these (around 400 to choose from):

https://www.shathailand.com/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leveraged said:

Restaurant's don't "officially" serve alcohol, but most still do, and most of the bars do as well. You can still buy at 7-11 & all, plus theres loads of mom & pop shops about. 

I would absolutely do the sandbox over ASQ any day of the week, even if the trip to pattaya was a pain in the ass. Youll need to work that out as it changes all the time. 

I won't recommend any particular hotels but a decent 3-4+ star hotel close to Rawai or Nai Harn beach would be your best bet as its still mostly open there. Patong would be a waste as its still a cost town for the most part. 

Agree with most of your post. Pros for Patong are that slowly things are reopening, and there are some excellent hotel deals available there.

• Like 2

I did my sandbox at the DoubleTree Hilton on Patong beach road and the total rate for 14 days with taxes/fees was in the low 20k baht range. No question that the sandbox is cheaper and better for your mental health than ASQ. 

Patong beach road is coming back alive with a few more places opening each week. I had drinks at two different "restaurants" on the beach road this weekend. I also noticed that Bangla road even had a few bars (officially restaurants) serving alcohol. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

I did my sandbox at the DoubleTree Hilton on Patong beach road and the total rate for 14 days with taxes/fees was in the low 20k baht range. No question that the sandbox is cheaper and better for your mental health than ASQ. 

Patong beach road is coming back alive with a few more places opening each week. I had drinks at two different "restaurants" on the beach road this weekend. I also noticed that Bangla road even had a few bars (officially restaurants) serving alcohol. 

Cheaper?

Low 20k for room-ok

Add PCR tests prepaid=8000?..now 28000?+meals=??

Flight or transport OUT=??

Risk of testing positive by any or all whom you have no idea if they are legit vaxxed-etc

Meals? Test positive and off to thai hospital? Refunds from hotels? Ins covered?

As I cannot recall one instance in my 12 yrs in LOS of ever getting a refund..never

Ever changing rules there seemingly daily..

Getting from airport to town and back???

Usual price gouging from being down south

For what? A beach? Ocean? I grew up on east coast Ive been there-done that..meh

Sandbox seems to me to be too many variables and unknowns--too risky in my eyes..

My thinking as Id prefer BKK ASQ-why?

Prepaid for ALL including meals-tests-room-etc..inclusive

Not paranoid the whole time as of whom i may possibly pick up covid from if in sandbox..

Alone in the room so a safe zone-which Im used to being "locked down" anyway--all needs met.meals-wifi-tv...

Get out after 14 and shoot up north where I want to be anyway....not gouged by touts trying to get out of phuket or they 'switch it up"

Pay the 30k or less---binge movies/series with my chromecast--read a book--do the same Ive been doing the last year...

Sandbox, a gamblers paradise?--as you hope luck will be a lady tonite--Ive lived in LOS long enough to know I wouldnt bet on it..

Just my opinion, choose wisely, I learn from my past exps in LOS and the ole saying Money #1..still rings true..

Speak of the devil--hes right on time..

https://aseannow.com/topic/1229236-new-entry-rules-for-phuket-to-come-into-effect-sept-1/

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2021 at 7:06 AM, Espanol said:

I booked my sandbox at the 4* Palmyra Resort on Patong beach, walking distance from the beach, with restaurant, swimming pool and gym,  and the total rate for 14 days with taxes/fees was 10.000 bahts including breakfast.

Apart 8000 bahts of 3 PCR and 800 bahts transport from airport.

Indeed much better 2 weeks sandbox, going to beach, restaurant, gym, swimming pool and walking anywhere, than 2 weeks locked in ASQ hotel room eating packaged food.

The worst that can happen is that I test positive and have to do an ASQ, what will be paid by my insurance and the hotel will refund the money for my reservation. And only 0'2% of sandboxers tested positive so far.

So 10000+8000+800+800(back)transport out-off-+meals+expenses=?????..total costs? Final tally?

If its thai insurance and thai hotel In my 12 yrs there a refund is something I have yet to see...hearsay

If anyone can actually verify this happening and getting refunds Im all ears...as I would like to once in my life witness a thai returning money in any situation----or a smoothly run process...

If they let me do 7 days sandbox and fly direct to CNX Id consider it....been burned too many times....

4 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

If its thai insurance and thai hotel In my 12 yrs there a refund is something I have yet to see..

Of course it's not a Thai insurance.

Actually, I have free travel insurance, covering Covid-19, up to 10.000.000 euros, in both my Revolut and N26 cards.

23 hours ago, bolt said:

We are all different, I DON’T want to be locked in a room for 14 nights.

I’ve read about people getting moved from Sandbox Hotel to ASQ Hotel getting refunded because of close contact on the flight.

Millions or permutations for example, what if you test positive in your ASQ will you get a refund????, I haven’t read anyone getting a refund in ASQ, in the Phuket Sandbox YES I read about that but not BKK ASQ.

I’m due to arrive again in December so hopefully its all over with by then or at least reduced to in hotel until test comes back negative 1-2 nights maximum

Up 2 U as they say.

Im down with this as its my home base

https://aseannow.com/topic/1229627-charming-chiang-mai-set-to-reopen-to-foreign-tourists-from-october-1st/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Espanol said:

Of course it's not a Thai insurance.

Actually, I have free travel insurance, covering Covid-19, up to 10.000.000 euros, in both my Revolut and N26 cards.

Arent you the lucky fellow!  Just found this..my homebase

https://aseannow.com/topic/1229627-charming-chiang-mai-set-to-reopen-to-foreign-tourists-from-october-1st/

42 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Good for you.

Lets hope this is the End, I'm waiting until 1st week December so plenty of time for things to change change change etc  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bolt said:

Good for you.

Lets hope this is the End, I'm waiting until 1st week December so plenty of time for things to change change change etc  

Ill even do ASQ in CM...just wanna get to maid destination and cut out all the BS....Hoping this actually happens