Wondering what happens when my STV comes to an end?

For the last few years I have worked offshore on yachts around the world and lived in Thailand on non o visas based on marriage to a Thai.

I have actually been here since 2012.

Often times the boats will be in Thailand anyway. During the last entry to Thailand earlier this year it was much much easier to just get the "special tourist visa" with the rest of the crew rather than apply for a non o separately to everyone else.

The former option was handled in bulk by the boat, using the boats insurance and quarantine arrangements etc.

The latter option was me trying to do it all myself and somehow match up the timing, insurance and onboard quarantine with the rest of the crew. Not to mention the issues I would have had when the non o expired.

Anyway being on a special tourist visa I am wondering what kind of a situation I would be in if I resigned or lost my job?

We have had a few extensions on this tourist visa this year and currently it has 5 more months validity on it but may get extended again.

For example: If I were to lose my job or quit and return to my condo in Pattaya what happens when it expires. Do I then remain in Thailand under the visa amnesty (are they still going?) until I can manage to get back to Australia? Getting back to Australia at the moment takes like 5 months last I enquired.

It is my understanding I can't change this STV to a non o based on marriage or anything else whilst within Thailand.

I should add the extensions to the STV are all handled by the boat and the agents. I am not sure I would have much luck extending it on my own. I did also hear that they are being discontinued and the boat is waiting to see what will happen after they stop extending our current ones.

My work contract has my home port marked as Pattaya. This means the boat has a duty to repatriate me or my remains to there when I leave the boat.

I am wondering if I should renegotiate my work contract and set the home port to Australia which will ensure I get back there. The only issue there is that I lose access to my wife and our home in Pattaya where we have lived for almost 6 years. Reuniting would be difficult as Australia are not letting people in or out easily. Also I have no home in Australia.

Not really sure what to do here.

I haven't been following the forums much but I suppose the old runs to Savannakhet for the non o visas are a distant memory as well?

If your STV expires, you may still be able to get 60-day Covid extensions. If those are no longer available, your best bet is probably going to be to return visa exempt, and look for extensions based on your Thai spouse. One of the downsides of the STV is that they do not allow the usual extensions of stay. Only extensions based on exceptional situations, such as medical issues or Covid, are allowed.

• Like 1

A STV is only only valid for one entry of 90 days that can be extended twice for 90 days.

After the end of September immigration will no longer doing the 90 day extensions.

No sure how you have been leaving and entering the country with the STV unless the agents were able to get re-entry permits for the remainder of the 90 days.

There has not been a amnesty for almost a year now. There are only 60 day void 19 extension available at this time.

If you are out of the country and enter with a re-entry permit you could enter visa exempt and then the non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai at immigration.

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A STV is only only valid for one entry of 90 days that can be extended twice for 90 days.

After the end of September immigration will no longer doing the 90 day extensions.

No sure how you have been leaving and entering the country with the STV unless the agents were able to get re-entry permits for the remainder of the 90 days.

There has not been a amnesty for almost a year now. There are only 60 day void 19 extension available at this time.

If you are out of the country and enter with a re-entry permit you could enter visa exempt and then the non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai at immigration.

Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to add that I have been in Thailand since February or March and we haven't left the country.

What you are saying aligns with what I heard about our STV being done after December, which would be a 3 month extension in September which we already got.

Amnesty - I didn't know. Does this mean if I lost my job and went home to Pattaya I would be on overstay after this visa extension is used? It's a very long wait to get a flight back to Australia.

Regarding coming back with a re-entry permit I guess this wouldn't be an option as by the time I get out of here I would probably be on overstay if I understand correctly.

From your answer above it seems like it would be best to add Australia as my home port so I don't get stuck here on overstay.

Or see what they do with our visas after December. I am sure they will come up with some new kind of plan or just rename the thing

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

If your STV expires, you may still be able to get 60-day Covid extensions. If those are no longer available, your best bet is probably going to be to return visa exempt, and look for extensions based on your Thai spouse. One of the downsides of the STV is that they do not allow the usual extensions of stay. Only extensions based on exceptional situations, such as medical issues or Covid, are allowed.

Thanks. That is good advice.

I think that is what I was meaning by amnesty. Covid extension is what I was thinking.

Without those extensions I guess it is overstay or go back to Oz or see what happens when our STV expire in December

10 hours ago, sikishrory said:

What you are saying aligns with what I heard about our STV being done after December, which would be a 3 month extension in September which we already got.

The longest stay from a STV is about 270 days (90+90+90). You need to check your passport to confirm what your current permit to stay date is.

11 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I forgot to add that I have been in Thailand since February or March and we haven't left the country

Perhaps I'm missing something...... Sounds to me that your on overstay.

Check the most recent stamp in your passport. It should have an "admit untill" date. This is your permission of stay date.

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Perhaps I'm missing something...... Sounds to me that your on overstay.

From the OP.

On 8/28/2021 at 7:13 PM, sikishrory said:

We have had a few extensions on this tourist visa this year and currently it has 5 more months validity on it but may get extended again.

I am not sure what his status is at this time. 

A STV is only valid to use for entry for 3 months from the date of issue.

• Like 1

An alternative option you could consider. Rather than going to Aussie you could go to USA and sort out your visa from there. The flights to USA are much cheaper than going to Aussie, you wouldn't have to quarantine (as you would on arrival in Aussie) and you could get vaccinated there too whilst you are at it (if you are not already vaccinated). If you have nowhere to stay in Aussie you would be no worse off. Some of those more knowledgeable than me about visas on here would be better able to guide you through the visa types/processes. Just a thought. 

From what i have understood, the OP had an end date on his STV in September and then he has now obtained the last 90 day extension resulting in a final end date in December. Then after that time is wondering what will happen. At this moment you have two options. #1, 60 day covid extensions until no longer available, #2, Leave the country and come back.

I think its safe to say there will be at least one more covid extension announced. I feel like its a waste to leave now, when you can probably stay until mid 2022 on covid extensions.

Edited by at15

10 minutes ago, at15 said:

From what i have understood, the OP had an end date on his STV in September and then he has now obtained the last 90 day extension resulting in a final end date in December.

How could that be possible since mentioned he entered in February or March. His STV would of expired at the latest in late April or May dependent upon when it was issued. A STV visa is only valid for 3 months from the day it is issued.

The OP is confusing lol. I'm assuming entered thailand in march on stv.  Good to stay until june. 1st extension good until september. 2nd extension good until december

Edited by at15

2 minutes ago, at15 said:

I'm assuming entered thailand in march on stv.  Good to stay until june. 1st extension good until september. 2nd extension good until december

You mixing up a visas validity for entry to the country with the permit to stay it allows and the extension of that entry.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You mixing up a visas validity for entry to the country with the permit to stay it allows and the extension of that entry.

I understand what your saying but i thought the OP entered in feb or march of this year?

"I forgot to add that I have been in Thailand since February or March and we haven't left the country."

Edited by at15

22 hours ago, Searunner said:

An alternative option you could consider. Rather than going to Aussie you could go to USA and sort out your visa from there. The flights to USA are much cheaper than going to Aussie, you wouldn't have to quarantine (as you would on arrival in Aussie) and you could get vaccinated there too whilst you are at it (if you are not already vaccinated). If you have nowhere to stay in Aussie you would be no worse off. Some of those more knowledgeable than me about visas on here would be better able to guide you through the visa types/processes. Just a thought. 

Last time I checked only US-Passport holders (or relatives) may enter the USA !?

1 hour ago, daviddunham said:

Last time I checked only US-Passport holders (or relatives) may enter the USA !?

Not so. It depends on where you are travelling from. See the following CDC information regarding international arrivals. so far Thailand hasn't made it onto the prohibited country list but it may change.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

On 8/29/2021 at 2:57 PM, Searunner said:

An alternative option you could consider. Rather than going to Aussie you could go to USA and sort out your visa from there.

Not unless he is a resident or has a visa. This from the Thai embassy website in the USA.

"For non-US citizens
– a copy of the permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa
–  a letter proof of employment ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**) or a letter proof of full-time student status. For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name."

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not unless he is a resident or has a visa. This from the Thai embassy website in the USA.

"For non-US citizens
– a copy of the permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa
–  a letter proof of employment ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**) or a letter proof of full-time student status. For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name."

Thanks Ubonjoe. As I said, need to hear from the visa experts. 

Could he re-enter Thailand on visa exempt and then convert to the appropriate marriage visa? Sorry this is not my field of expertise. 

7 minutes ago, Searunner said:

Could he re-enter Thailand on visa exempt and then convert to the appropriate marriage visa?

Yes he could apply for a non-o visa at immigration. He would have to meet the financial requirements for a extension of stay based upon marriage but the 400k baht would need to be in the bank on the day he applies.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Yes he could apply for a non-o visa at immigration. He would have to meet the financial requirements for a extension of stay based upon marriage but the 400k baht would need to be in the bank on the day he applies.

Thanks Ubonjoe - as usual great information. Would be useful information for others in a similar situation.

10 hours ago, at15 said:

The OP is confusing lol. I'm assuming entered thailand in march on stv.  Good to stay until june. 1st extension good until september. 2nd extension good until december

Yes that is correct. Sorry I didn't get any notifications. An agent said there's an announcement coming next month regarding this STV thing. I think I will wait and see what happens with it. 

As someone said I guess the options either hang out on covid extensions or leave and re enter.

I will have a think about it.

Sorry for the confusion 

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Did Thailand reinstate the visa exempt 30 day entries? I mean after last year when all inward arrivals stopped for a while.

10 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

Did Thailand reinstate the visa exempt 30 day entries? I mean after last year when all inward arrivals stopped for a while.

Visa exempt entries have been possible since December of last year and are 45 days now to compensate for the 14 day quarantine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sikishrory said:

Yes that is correct. Sorry I didn't get any notifications. An agent said there's an announcement coming next month regarding this STV thing. I think I will wait and see what happens with it. 

As someone said I guess the options either hang out on covid extensions or leave and re enter.

I will have a think about it.

Sorry for the confusion 

I am on the STV too and heard the same thing from agents, just wait and be patient. A 1 year extension for 10,000 baht would be beautiful ! Please do let us know if you hear anything.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 6:26 AM, at15 said:

I am on the STV too and heard the same thing from agents, just wait and be patient. A 1 year extension for 10,000 baht would be beautiful ! Please do let us know if you hear anything.

Any news about this? My girlfriend's STV (2nd and final extension) expires end Oct.

On 8/30/2021 at 7:38 AM, at15 said:

From what i have understood, the OP had an end date on his STV in September and then he has now obtained the last 90 day extension resulting in a final end date in December. Then after that time is wondering what will happen. At this moment you have two options. #1, 60 day covid extensions until no longer available, #2, Leave the country and come back.

I think its safe to say there will be at least one more covid extension announced. I feel like its a waste to leave now, when you can probably stay until mid 2022 on covid extensions.

Is this sure that Covid extensions are given to STV visa? I heard that STV cannot be extended (after two guaranteed 90-days extension)... hope I'm mistaken . . . ?

14 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Is this sure that Covid extensions are given to STV visa? I heard that STV cannot be extended (after two guaranteed 90-days extension)... hope I'm mistaken . . . ?

You will obtain a covid extension.

It's an extension of your current permission of stay.

You are not extending your STV.

10 hours ago, sallecc said:

Those on STV visas are not eligible for regular extensions. The Covid extension (like extensions for ill health) are considered exceptional measures for those unable to leave. The basis of your current permission to stay is irrelevant. Fortunately, immigration has been instructed to be forgiving in the definition of unable to leave for a Covid extension.